Why do you carry a knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Why do you like to carry knives?

pretty!
13%
flickability / they make good fidget toys
12%
showing them to friends is fun
4%
self-defense / feeling bad@ss and tough
6%
sometimes you need to cut stuff
57%
other (describe in post)
7%

Total votes: 235

lonerider1013

Re: Why do you carry a knife?

Post by lonerider1013 »

They are useful, as tools. They are interesting, mechanically.

They are also I think, just something one should have because you never know if u r gonna need it... I recall mountain biking and walking the bike down a real steep hill I wasn't comfortable riding, and slipped on a rock. Hurt my arm. No way out with my bike, cradling it with the other. I cut a sling from some cord and then I was able to walk my bike outa there.
Or once at work, a box on an overhead shelf caught on another. The other was full of a 2 ton (rated,not weight lol) car jack. Both had started to fall, and I could barely hold em up. I needed to cut the strap that caught on the other box before something huge fell on my head! A boxcutter was useless and so would have been a nick knife. But used my spyderco with my one free hand and cut the strap and avoided a car jack falling on my noggin.

You never know if you are going to need a knife, but if you need it and don't have it, you could be screwed...
I also think the mechanical aspect has something to it. A lot of the guys I know who are into bikes (and actually work on them, not just some bloke with a lot of money and cervelo he can't change a flat on) are also into watches, or guns, or vintage stereos...or knives. I think there is a certain type of person that is fascinated by mechanics, blade profile, lock mechanisms or even just the history of the thing.
Lonerider
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am
I carry a knife primarily because (1) I enjoy knives and (2) I enjoy thinking about creating new knife designs. Carrying a knife every day helps me determine what I like/dislike and it also gives me inspiration for new designs.

On certain occasions, I also carry a knife so that I can cut stuff. ;)

Michael
Forget the cutting stuff, focus on those new designs!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Through fishing (both commercial and recreational), boy scouts, and seamanship, carrying a knife has solidified itself as a way of life for me. Your knife can save your life and the lives of others. At any moment I have 1 if not 2 knives on me, one being serrated when I'm at work.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am
I carry a knife primarily because (1) I enjoy knives and (2) I enjoy thinking about creating new knife designs. Carrying a knife every day helps me determine what I like/dislike and it also gives me inspiration for new designs.

On certain occasions, I also carry a knife so that I can cut stuff. ;)

Michael
Forget the cutting stuff, focus on those new designs!

Haha! Will do. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

toxophilus wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 am
Because my teeth aren’t that sharp ;)
I just snorted coffee out of my nose, thx for that :D
Glad you and JM appreciated that one! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I replied to cut things but the reality is I've loved knives as far back as I can remember and don't really know why. I literally got sent home from school the very first-day of the 1st grade for taking an old camper's knife, which my pops had given me, to school to use during lunch. It had a blade, a spoon, and a fork. I was actually shocked that I got in so much trouble because, even back then, I only saw it as a tool. I tried to explain to the teacher (and to the principal) why I had it in my lunch box but they weren't hearing it...and this was back in the early 80's...can't imagine how bad they'd freak now!

The last thing I'd probably ever want to use in a self-defense situation is my knife...I'd much rather run or use my fists. I'm not trained to use a knife for self-defense so I think it'd be a bad move and I'd probably end up hurting myself in the process.

By the way...I never got that knife back from my teacher!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s just so lucrative- I walk up to strangers in the street and show them my knife and they are so impressed they give me money, dimly lit alleyways are the best for this as the light hits the bevel real nice.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm
It’s just so lucrative- I walk up to strangers in the street and show them my knife and they are so impressed they give me money, dimly lit alleyways are the best for this as the light hits the bevel real nice.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

For EDC I mainly carry as a potential bystander in emergency situations (including my own).
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 pm
Daveho wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm
I thought I was the only one who noticed that!
The community is just so nice like that
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Dimly lit alley ways are why they make lasers for handguns.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 pm
Dimly lit alley ways are why they make lasers for handguns.
And I thought it was for mall ninjas
Crux

Post by Crux »

Great poll and shows a lot of sound reasoning. The only question not answered is why would you not carry a knife? I am vexed by that and I hope I am not the only one. :confused:
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Crux wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:27 am
The only question not answered is why would you not carry a knife? I am vexed by that and I hope I am not the only one. :confused:
You are not the only one! It’s as much a part of my identity at this point as anything else. I can leave my phone, wallet, wedding ring, etc. but if I don’t have a reasonable knife I may as well be nekkid. Reminds me, I need to stash something at the office... that’s not a pm2 or para 3 sprint or exclusive!
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Becomes some times I need to cut something. Also because I fidget allot and sometimes I need something other than my phone to play with. Also I appreciate well made things and spyderco's product line exemplifies quality and attention to detail. I honestly believe they put a level of thoughtfulness into what they sell like no other company.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Yes I have to cut things but a knife is the same as putting on underwear. Got my first Delica in high school 25 years ago and I've carried a knife everyday since. Living in the South it is a way of life and tradition. I am a production manager for a large company and I have needs EVERY day to cut open pallets, open samples from vendors, and create new products.
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Well the keys to open stuff
Money to buy stuff
Pen to write stuff
Pretty sure the Knife is to cut stuff.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

I carry a knife because it is an invaluable tool for day to day EDC needs in opening boxes, mail, cutting rope, cutting wood etc. I can't think what it would be like to not carry a knife. It becomes a part of you in so many ways. Plus, it's been so helpful to friends, family, and co-workers when they needed a knife and I've had one to lend. I can also appreciate the thought, and work that goes into the designs, and functionality of each and every knife. There are some beautiful designs out there. To me it's a form of art. These are some of the reasons why I carry a knife. Besides being a steel snob, and a huge Spyderco fan. I think most you guy's can relate to my last statement. Right? ;)