Help picking out a knife for my Father in-law

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rgrad80

Help picking out a knife for my Father in-law

Post by rgrad80 »

My father in-law is one of my favorite humans. He works hard, did a great job raising two girls who turned out well, and he is a good husband. I’m looking for your help picking out a Spyderco to gift him. My knife choices would not be appropriate for him...ie Military, PM2, Manix.

4 years ago I bought him a full size Cryo and he’s had it in his pocket everyday since. I know he uses the heck out of it, because everytime I see him the knife is a mess and I end up cleaning it for him.

My father in-law is a janitor, he uses his knife for all sorts of cutting and other tasks. He rides a motorcycle to work often, so the size of the knife matters...small to medium is best. It also has to be a tank with a normal tip...the PM2 tip would be dead in a week I bet. He like lightweight stuff, something under 4 ounces or less? Has to be a folder so he doesn’t freak out the fragile teachers.

Tank, lightweight, small to medium, good tip, he doesn’t have a lock preference.

I don’t know the small to medium size knife world as well as a lot of you, because I personally like bigger knives like the Military. What Spyderco do you think would be a good fit for him?
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Sjucaveman

Re: Help picking out a knife for my Father in-law

Post by Sjucaveman »

G-10 native 5
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Native LW? It's a bit smaller than the Manix, with a more robust tip than the Military family. You also get lots of options for steel: S30V, S110V, Maxamet, and the upcoming LC200N.

I have the Maxamet version (in my pocket as I type this) and it has been a great user knife for me.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Either native lw or g10 would be my recommendation. You may consider the native lw with serrations. Or the Delica. I kniw you said tank but I've never found the delica lacking for a cutting task. If you want to go higher end, the techno is a tank of a little knife. The soon to be release Bouwer also seems to fit the bill. You could also go Lil' Native. Thick blade stock and handle in a small package.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Delica.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lightweight Native 5 or the new style linerless G10 Native 5
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

If the price doenst matter a lil temperence is a small tank of a knife. :)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The Techno is a nice knife, but the blade stock is super thick.

How about one of the Salt knives?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ I was going to suggest the Salt 2 se. The tip is less pointy, almost a sheepsfoot, and serrated H1 has quite the reputation for being tough.

Or something like the urban or pingo?
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

The Meat man wrote: The Native LW? It's a bit smaller than the Manix, with a more robust tip than the Military family. You also get lots of options for steel: S30V, S110V, Maxamet, and the upcoming LC200N.

I have the Maxamet version (in my pocket as I type this) and it has been a great user knife for me.
Woodpuppy wrote: ^^ I was going to suggest the Salt 2 se. The tip is less pointy, almost a sheepsfoot, and serrated H1 has quite the reputation for being tough.

Or something like the urban or pingo?
PanChango wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm
The Techno is a nice knife, but the blade stock is super thick.

How about one of the Salt knives?
Looks like I will try and wait for the Native lc200n. I’m looking to get it for him as a Christmas present, maybe it will be released before that. You guys seem to like the Native a lot.

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve been thinking about getting my FIL one of the squarehead or dog tag models. He’s retiring in January, but I’ve never seen him carry anything larger than a small buck stockman. He does however carry keychain type knives. Perhaps the squarehead frn?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Excellent choice rgrad80! That will be a great tough-use knife and I'm sure your father-in-law will appreciate it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Para 3. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Techno might be a good choice, solid with and strong blade shape and less than 4oz
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

FRN Maxamet Native 5 for lightweight and awesome cutability, (depending on your budget or if you can get a good deal) the shaman is a tank and made out of the same materials of a pm2, if the Spyderco Brouwer was out I'd recommend that.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I’m searching for retail shop in Portland Oregon that have a good selection of these knives...from the video all of the recommended knives seem very nice.

Under $200 would be nice for the budget.

setldown

Post by setldown »

Delica Pakkawood Hap40 from KnifeCenter. He'll love it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you want a strong knife then the Native with linerless G10 is what you need. However, the lightweight Native 5 is easier to carry. The tips are not fragile on the Native. The Para 3 might be an alternative, but you might have tip problems. You will need to make that determination.

But, taking another tack, you might let him keep using that old knife at work and get him a really nice pocket sized knife for bragging, like the One Eyed Jack.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Even though it may not look like so, the Salt I (or II) is a tank of a medium sized knife.

It has a very strong tip, the SE H1 is a high toughness steel with great performance and edge life, the FRN linerless handle is durable, and will take lots of use and abuse. The knife is medium/small sized, very simple in construction (less things that can go wrong), easy to operate (big hole) and open/close, and affordable. :spyder:

It will also be impervious to the lack of maintenance, dirt, corrosion, grit and staining of your FIL's previous knives, and it will require little to no care other than sharpening. :rolleyes:

I think it makes for an excellent knife to gift to non-knife people that can be somewhat unorthodox in their cutting practices and periodic maintaining of their knives :cool:
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:38 am
Even though it may not look like so, the Salt I (or II) is a tank of a medium sized knife.

It has a very strong tip, the SE H1 is a high toughness steel with great performance and edge life, the FRN linerless handle is durable, and will take lots of use and abuse. The knife is medium/small sized, very simple in construction (less things that can go wrong), easy to operate (big hole) and open/close, and affordable. :spyder:

It will also be impervious to the lack of maintenance, dirt, corrosion, grit and staining of your FIL's previous knives, and it will require little to no care other than sharpening. :rolleyes:

I think it makes for an excellent knife to gift to non-knife people that can be somewhat unorthodox in their cutting practices and periodic maintaining of their knives :cool:
You make a lot of good points. I know he’s going to take care of the knife the way we would. With the Pacifc Sslt 2 at under $100 and the Native 5 at just over $100is...I can get him the Salt2 now and wait for the stainless Native 5 to come out later:)