Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm
What grit is this comparable to? Same as the fine bench stone?

I don't have any bench stones but it seems slightly more aggressive than the fine Sharpmaker rods but not as aggressive as the browns.
Agreed it is a wonderful stone, under appreciated.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm
What grit is this comparable to? Same as the fine bench stone?

I don't have any bench stones but it seems slightly more aggressive than the fine Sharpmaker rods but not as aggressive as the browns.
Sounds nice, maybe I'll pick one up some day.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m real interested in this. A little trial/error/measurement and you could figure out what thickness you need under a corner to get a 15 degree angle. The DS2 with a base would make quite the complementary tool set.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

You could purchase an angle cube if you want to be exact like I use with my wicked edge pro 3. https://www.amazon.com/AccuRemote-Digit ... 3886&psc=1
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I was thinking a protractor...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I hadn't thought of this until I visited with a good friend of mine last night who works for one of the local restaurants. Now he's not a chef but he does a lot of food prep for the two chefs he works with. When I showed him how quick and convenient that the GOLDENSTONE is for quick touch ups for culinary blades I got his attention and interest very quickly. Now he did balk at the price of the GOLDENSTONE but I can understand because he's not as big of a knife fan as most of us here are. But he sure played with mine for a while and I do think he'll eventually cave in and get one.

Right at this time I truly think that the convenience aspect of the GOLDENSTONE is probably it's biggest sales pitch as of now IMO. Once the GOLDENSTONE has more grits to select from I do believe it will have a lot of people in the culinary and meat packing trades will be buying them. Just the fact that at this time it's only available in the "FINE" grit seems to be a bit of a hurdle to get over. I agree with David we really need the GOLDENSTONE in "Medium">>> also I really hope to see it in Ultra-fine at some point.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Now that I have the Goldenstone, I use the sharpmaker half as much as I used to, maybe less. I can do a touch up on the fine goldenstone in less than a minute, including the time to find it in my cluttered drawer. A slick little gadget.

If you think a bit, you will realize that you can hold the goldenstone firmly on the table and get any angle from 10 to 20 by varying the angle you hold the knife at, iin the horizontal plane. With a sharpie you can get as precise as you want doing this. Yeah, I know I should draw a picture, but some clever folks will "get it".
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:30 pm
Now that I have the Goldenstone, I use the sharpmaker half as much as I used to, maybe less. I can do a touch up on the fine goldenstone in less than a minute, including the time to find it in my cluttered drawer. A slick little gadget.

If you think a bit, you will realize that you can hold the goldenstone firmly on the table and get any angle from 10 to 20 by varying the angle you hold the knife at, iin the horizontal plane. With a sharpie you can get as precise as you want doing this. Yeah, I know I should draw a picture, but some clever folks will "get it".
I also like the fact that you can use the leather sheath for the GOLDENSTONE as a non-skid base for working on hard, slick surfaces. Even if I had 3 different grit selections of the GOLDENSTONE i.e. FINE, Medium & Ultra-Fine that would make a great travel kit. However I'm going to get the CBN GOLDENSTONE ASAP. My DUCKFOOT which is the older, discontinued diamond version of the GOLDENSTONE just didn't have the grit I needed for it to do me much good.

It's almost once a week I say to myself " IF I Just Had An ULTRA-FINE Version OF The GOLDENSTONE I Wouldn't Need The Sharpmaker Kit Nearly As Often"
Doeswhateveraspidercan

You really will be glad you did.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

When are the other grits of the Goldenstone suppose to come out? A medium one would be better than the fine for me! Of course, the Gauntlet would even be better! :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:07 pm
When are the other grits of the Goldenstone suppose to come out? A medium one would be better than the fine for me! Of course, the Gauntlet would even be better! :)
I've heard that there is already a CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE in the works as we speak. I did get Mr. Glesser's attention when I suggested an Ultra-Fine version of the GOLDENSTONE. I use my other Ultra-Fine Spyderco stones so much I just think it makes perfect sense to have one as part of an overall kit that I do hope eventually comes to fruition.

The older "DUCKFOOT" which was a diamond version of the GOLDENSTONE on a metal frame. I sort of like my DUCKFOOT but the grit is just too small for what I like to use it for. I'm really looking forward to this CBN GOLDENSTONE. I'm also hearing that they might be planning a medium/gray version of the GS. But I haven't yet heard Mr. Glesser confirm that as of yet.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm
sir_mike wrote:
I've heard that there is already a CBN version of the GOLDENSTONE in the works as we speak. I did get Mr. Glesser's attention when I suggested an Ultra-Fine version of the GOLDENSTONE. I use my other Ultra-Fine Spyderco stones so much I just think it makes perfect sense to have one as part of an overall kit that I do hope eventually comes to fruition.

The older "DUCKFOOT" which was a diamond version of the GOLDENSTONE on a metal frame. I sort of like my DUCKFOOT but the grit is just too small for what I like to use it for. I'm really looking forward to this CBN GOLDENSTONE. I'm also hearing that they might be planning a medium/gray version of the GS. But I haven't yet heard Mr. Glesser confirm that as of yet.
So do you think it is just gonna be a CBN version and possibly sometime down the road an UF version of the Goldenstone added to the original Fine version? That doesn't quite make a set like his other sharpener's offer or have offered without the medium one!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sir_mike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm
sir_mike wrote:

So do you think it is just gonna be a CBN version and possibly sometime down the road an UF version of the Goldenstone added to the original Fine version? That doesn't quite make a set like his other sharpener's offer or have offered without the medium one!
Well with the slow road to the market that the GAUNTLET and Second GALLEY V it's hard to say when it will all come to fruition. But hopefully they will eventually come up with a broad grit selection of the GOLDENSTONE. But it's been said by the General himself that they have a lot on their plate at this time so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. But for as long as it took them to bring the GOLDENSTONE to market I can't see them letting it die on the vine either.

I would love to have the GOLDENSTON in at least 6 to 8 grit selections. Not to mention the base unit for more angle selections. Time will tell.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I wish it were out, I really do, own a wicked edge pro3 and I am ready to pull the trigger on a Hapstone version7. Sal, Eric, please give us a time frame I would rather give my money to you guys. No joke dead serious.

The hapstone7 looks able to lock in triangle stones that means precision Serrated sharpening.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 pm
I wish it were out, I really do, own a wicked edge pro3 and I am ready to pull the trigger on a Hapstone version7. Sal, Eric, please give us a time frame I would rather give my money to you guys. No joke dead serious.

The hapstone7 looks able to lock in triangle stones that means precision Serrated sharpening.
Believe me I totally understand your frustration. There must be some type of manufacturing problem is all I can think of. Because the prototype for the GAUNTLET has been shown on a few occasions. The product has undergone development and from what I've been told it's a pretty impressive sharpening tool and I've been waiting for over two years to get my hands on one.

I'm going to check out this Hapstone7 your talking about. I've been torn between the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro for quite some time and I've heard convincing testimonies for both units. But I'm like you I'm starting to get impatient. And I own and use just about every sharpening tool that Spyderco ever brought to the market. And I'm sure that sales won't be a problem. Because from what I'm told the 204 Sharpmaker is still doing good at the box office. I've heard that this GAUNTLET unit has a really good sharpening system for Spyderedges and I can't wait to try it.