Sprint Runs and the Abysmal Aftermarket.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
embry386

Re: Sprint Runs and the Abysmal Aftermarket.

Post by embry386 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:15 pm
embry386 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:38 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:23 pm
Desire is the root of suffering. The less you want, the happier you are.

Hi Darby, I've always said that "Serenity is found in the absence of desire".

sal

The concept of "not desiring anything" always reminds me of that sort of flat apathetic exhausted feeling you get with depression. For me, happiness comes from admiring the stuff I have and enjoying it, and from enjoying the fun challenge and anticipation of getting more stuff that I don't yet have.
There is nothing wrong with enjoying material objects. There is nothing wrong with appreciating the fruits of your labor. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments. The issue is allowing desire to control you. Desire is a strong emotion, arguably too strong. The point is to not be overcome with want and to appreciate what you have and not worry about what you don't have.

You use the word apethic which comes from the greek word apatheia. Apatheia was a goal of the stoics, a branch of greek philosophy. Apathy has a negative connotations today and is a core symptom of depression but to the stoics apetheia was an enlightened state that meant that you were free from the control of your passions and you were indifferent to things beyond your control. The two words today have completely different meanings but it is interesting what their connection is. Apathy is an indifference to almost everything but apatheia is about having a sound and balanced mind that is not controlled by outside forces or strong emotions.

Ah! Yeah, it's definitely good to avoid being controlled by your emotions and becoming a shopping addict or whatever. Interesting how those words have the same root but different meanings :) The phrasing of that saying about desire still doesn't gel with me, but like I said in my edit to my original post, more power to you if it works for you!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

This thread has been a good read. Really seems to be 50/50 on buying to flip, not NEEDING the latest and greatest, etc. All done in a respectful manner. I personally do feel badly for the 2 people that bought my Rex45's. But...I did not price them unfairly to start the bids. Once the bids began they really took off. But yes, obviously at the same time it was exciting to see I was going to make a profit and just hoped these folks were well off enough to afford them without jeopardizing paying their bills, etc. Some people have serious addictive issues/personalities and that can't be controlled or at the fault of someone selling a product. Funny thing is... I just noticed one of the people that bought one of my Para 3's messaged me how excited he was to use it. He bought it for $182.50. I now see he is selling it for $225. As the world turns...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

blues wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:21 pm
The "Four Noble Truths"...anyone?

Spyderco and Buddhism. (What is the sound of one hand opening...and closing?) ;)
Welcome to our corner of the internet Blues. We have a good group here. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm
blues wrote:

Spyderco and Buddhism. (What is the sound of one hand opening...and closing?) ;)

LOL. Would a kangaroo eat the spaghetti? Who knows.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:09 pm
This thread has been a good read. Really seems to be 50/50 on buying to flip, not NEEDING the latest and greatest, etc. All done in a respectful manner. I personally do feel badly for the 2 people that bought my Rex45's. But...I did not price them unfairly to start the bids. Once the bids began they really took off. But yes, obviously at the same time it was exciting to see I was going to make a profit and just hoped these folks were well off enough to afford them without jeopardizing paying their bills, etc. Some people have serious addictive issues/personalities and that can't be controlled or at the fault of someone selling a product. Funny thing is... I just noticed one of the people that bought one of my Para 3's messaged me how excited he was to use it. He bought it for $182.50. I now see he is selling it for $225. As the world turns...

That whole eBay bidding thing gets out of hand really fast. I used to collect vintage toys and I ended up spending insane amounts on stuff that really wasn't worth it in the end. I also always wondered about people having a friend who deliberately entered bidding wars with you just to drive the cost up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I'm new to it and couldn't believe how quickly people kept going back and forth. Seems like they get to a point where it's a personal battle and they lose track of how much their actually bidding.
blues

Post by blues »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 pm
blues wrote:

Why, thank you, Darby. I've been skulking about for a while. Figured I'd finally come out. (So to speak.) :p
- Retired from the chase -
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:15 pm
...but to the stoics apetheia was an enlightened state that meant that you were free from the control of your passions and you were indifferent to things beyond your control...

Some great posts, Darby. It seems hiding in the woods must promote heightened self-awareness. ;)

For some reason, this bit also reminded me of that old "honey badger don't give a ****" viral video...which is honestly not a bad approach for staving off the FOMO temptations of limited edition items in this age of constant internet one-upmanship.
Tim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m a recent member here, and was really unaware of sprints or exclusives. It is a dizzying diversity of options. At first I was dismayed that most of the base models were s30v, a steel I’m not fond of due to prior experience (with other makers). I lucked into an M4 exclusive that had just been released and sold out the day after I ordered mine. Had no idea it was special. And.... off to the races.

It’s been amazing watching the releases and the attendant excitement. I’ve scored a couple older pink & purple sprints for the girls, and missed out on some I didn’t know were limited production. Before you know it, 10 knives since joining, and still shopping. In part, there is an element of “fomo”. I don’t know enough about some of these steels, which is why I joined up. So I don’t want to let something I might want later pass me by. I know I like tool steels more than stainless steels, so I feel lucky to have gotten in on the rex45 pm2 and p3. I plan to sit on them and wait for the more competent members to post about their findings. I may use these or move them later to find new purchases. Only time will tell.

It is interesting to read the perspectives on flipping. On the one hand, it is a pure free market expression. I read earlier here that the sprints are priced below what the market will bear. I would tend to agree, but I can also say I wouldn’t be spending the amount the auctions bring on new sprints. I think Spyderco has nailed the price-point. It seems like smart marketing strategy on their part to create excitement about their products, regardless of what the secondary market does. And I doubt it hurts a bit.

Spyderco has a great thing going, and it’s due in part to listening to and interacting with their customers. It’s amazing to me that Sal is involved here to the extent he is. He takes some pretty direct criticism and doesn’t seem to be ruffled by it, more like he’s interested to see what the community makes of it. In addition, all these limited runs have the effect of cultivating quite the testing ground for different designs and steels. The flippers may help keep the demand and the excitement whipped up, but the experienced users here are providing the feedback Spyderco (and guys like me) can use.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I don't budget for Spyderco knives. I just stop eating and paying my bills so I can buy it. Paying your bills is really over hyped.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Crux wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 pm
I don't budget for Spyderco knives. I just stop eating and paying my bills so I can buy it. Paying your bills is really over hyped.
Didn't realize how much I was spending on coffee and Sushi every month. My kids bought me a really nice expresso machine and I cut back my raw fish habit ...have plenty of money for sprints and exclusives now! At least until desert season starts.... :eek:

James
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

*EDITED - Unnecessary and antagonistic. - TazKristi*
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Waiting for the flaming...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Obsessed much?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Sounds like someone's in love with somebody <.<

Going back to the topic at hand, anyone else excited for the Bladehq M4 Yojimbo 2? That is one sprint I am jumping all over forsure.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

*EDITED to remove quote. - TazKristi

I've spent 3 years on this forum learning from and helping other forumites... Many, many forumites do the exact things you accuse me of, yet you don't personally attack them. So what exactly have I done to bother you so much besides exist? Any time you had a question on this forum I offered my friendly opinion. I live in a city, work an office job, my knives are mostly relegated to opening packages and other light duty tasks. I don't live a lifestyle that requires me to hard use a knife. I buy knives because I like them and I sometimes take a few pictures. This harms no one, my follower count is quite small compared to other forumites who also have Instagram. I think this is the third time you have personally attacked me/called me out. I get it you don't like me, but why waste your time bashing me?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:32 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:45 pm

. I get it you don't like me, but why waste your time bashing me?
Because it's the internet and people like to bash other people without any real reason. At least this forum is much better than bladeforums and there's only a little bit of crossover trolling. It could be worse for you. Here someone is just saying it's bad that you like knives simply because you like the hobby rather than calling you a liar because they can't fathom that you live a different life than them.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Also, want to state nothing wrong with being a knife model.. If anything it gives Spyderco free exposure and why wouldn't we want the good folks in Golden to profit. I get what you're saying about the skateboarder analogy, that would be me with mountain biking (not many posers because you have to be a little crazy to get into the sport in the first place).

I said it on a different forum, but I think the various users that own Spyderco products are a testament to how diverse and far reaching these designs really are. When I picked up my first tenacious, which was then my first Spyderco ever it felt right in the hand right outside the box. Everything about it felt good and I couldn't believe it was actually made in a china. After almost two years of daily use and carry, it departed from me into the TSA great beyond.

Afterward I knew I wanted another Spyderco, held a pm2 for the first time subsequently and from then on it was game over. Now I am the proud over of 7 Spyderco folders, a set of throwing knives, and an LC200N mule that I keep debating on what to do with. Do I use all those knives and run around town like a ninja.... No, but you bet your *** I use my pm2 and shaman because they're my work knives. I do have some safe queens such as the Native 5 fluted titanium that I probably will not use because I have 2 to 3 other users to choose from.

I feel like we all buy knives for different reasons some of us use them to the spine, others want to play with a new steel, some are collectors, and some are models.... but yet... here we all are under the same roof.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:47 pm
Waiting for the flaming...
Appears you have some personal issues. Best to take them somewhere else, maybe find someone to talk with?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I don’t think the aftermarket is “abysmal”. I think there is a quick fix, if that’s how you feel OP. Just don’t watch it. Let folks do what they want to do when they want to do it.

I guess the internet allows folks to monitor any halls they wish. C’est la vie.