Who uses Sharpmaker exclusively?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cptdean

Who uses Sharpmaker exclusively?

Post by cptdean »

I’m trying to figure out if a Sharpmaker with ALL Tri-Angle stones can be my one and only sharpening system, including for reprofiling. I’ll only be using pocket knives and kitchen knives (no axes, machetes, etc.).

I’m currently leaning toward a freehand DMT 400 and 1200 diamond plate setup with a Knives Plus Strop, but I want to give Spyderco fair consideration.

Can anyone offer advice, please? My skills are currently limited, but I’d rather grow into a great system than buy multiples. Buy once, cry once, as it’s said.

Thanks in advance!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
vivi

Re: Who uses Sharpmaker exclusively?

Post by vivi »

I wouldn't.

Diamond bench stones are where it's at for reprofiling edges.

Spydercos own benchstones leave a very nice edge. I get slightly better results with them than my sharpmaker.

I mostly use my sharpmaker when I want a quick touch-up or I'm sharpening a serrated, recurve or hawkbill knife. When I want to put forth effort towards obtaining the best edge I can, or reset the bevel, I always reach for benchstones.

I don't think a strop does much for my edges. On knives I finish with fine or ultrafine spyderco ceramics, I skip stropping. On knives I finish with the medium stone, I strop once per side. I could easily do without it.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I use my Sharpmaker the vast majority of times I need to sharpen a knife. I do have an old Lansky guided sharpening system so on the rare occasions I need to set the profile I will use it. But, the rest of the time, the Sharpmaker does what it says.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't use it exclusively but I don't see why one couldn't. Including the diamond or cbn rods of course.
One potential issue might be the large jump in grit from the diamond to the medium ceramic rod.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I am not an expert and I admit free hand sharpening with a bench stone is beyond me. I obtain excellent results on folders and kitchen knives on the Sharpmaker and on scissors as well. I have tried a lansky system and found it lacking for me. I use diamond, medium, fine and ultra fine stones. A strop is a good way to remove a burr after sharpening. It isn’t necessary with every steel.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

I use benchstone for regrinding/reprofiling, wicked edge for reprofiling, and sharpmaker for maintenance.

To put a percent use on them:
Sharpmaker ~93% of the time
Wicked edge: ~5% of the time
Benchstones: ~2% of the time
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

I am really thinking about buying one, have used my Smith Stones for past 40+ years, but am now getting somewhat lazy and want something quick and simple.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The sharpmaker is the tool i use the most.
But for me it is used for maintaining the sharpness.
Making a really dull knife sharp will take forever even with diamond rods.
So when an edge is worn down so hard that touching up isnt an option anymore i use the edgepro.
vivi

Post by vivi »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:48 pm
. A strop is a good way to remove a burr after sharpening. It isn’t necessary with every steel.
There should be no detectable bur when you strop, otherwise there's a risk of weakening the edge.
:unicorn
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Yes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I would even if I only used H1/PE. Even with diamonds or CBN rods I'm far too impatient and I like making factory quality bevels.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have in the past. With the diamond rods it can be a complete system. I have produced plenty of perfectly even bevels with them. With the UF rods you can achieve extreme sharpness. For a couple years I used it almost exclusively.

Sharpening can be another addicting part of this hobby. Get the sharpmaker and get proficient with it then see if you are interested in progressing further. You may want a guided system or you may want some benchstones. You will have a better idea what you want at that point in time. Who knows? Someday you may have more money tied up in sharpening gear than in knives. I don’t but some do. I am definitely an edge junkie.

I currently use benchstones for reprofiling and the sharpmaker for maintenance most of the time. I use a few pocket stones as well when touching up away from home or even sometimes when touching up while watching a movie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I have found that all I need is the Sharpmaker. I don't let my pocket knives get to the point they need more than that. I must say even after over 30 years of use, I've only added a pair of extra fine rods and they get them all sharp enough for me. Works well with my kitchen knives too. If you don't have a Sharpmaker invest in one. :) :spyder:
"No matter where you go, there you are"
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:14 pm
I don't think I would even if I only used H1/PE. Even with diamonds or CBN rods I'm far too impatient and I like making factory quality bevels.

What do you use for sharpening?
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cptdean wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:26 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:14 pm

What do you use for sharpening?

Edge Pro for setting bevels and repairing edge damage, Sharpmaker for daily touch ups.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I use the sharpmaker for touch up and general sharpening. The uf rods are great. I have the diamond rods and they do work great. I recently re-profiled a beat up s110v native with the sharpmaker diamond rods. Went diamind through uf. Worked great but took awhile. I generally use my kme system for that stuff.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've had the Sharpmaker a long time, but only recently bought the diamond rods.

Wish I'd bought them a long time ago.

They worked really well reprofiling my HAP40 Endura. Haven't tried any other steels yet.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Sharpmaker is my only sharpening system and I do have the diamond stones. Admittedly, I'm not a diehard edge/steeljunkie. And since I almost only use Spyderco knives and a few other brands who use similar consistent edges, I've rarely had to reprofile an edge. If you plan to sharpen a wide variety of different brand knives with thick edges, then you might want to consider a second or different sharpening system. Even with the diamond stones, it can be quite a task to reprofile a thicker than 40 degree edge.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
stockliman

Post by stockliman »

I added to my sharpmaker. I've added a smallish piece of kangaroo leather loaded up with a 5 micron compound . Flip the sharpmaker over when done and you have a flat surface to give you knife a final touch up.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Sharpmaker with the added diamonds is all that I use. I am pleased with my results. Not a fan of sharpening in general, so I try and keep them sharp. I might pick up a goldenstone 15/30 and some benchstones to practice with in the future.
C