Lil’ Lum Compared to the Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Lil’ Lum Compared to the Rhino

Post by MichaelScott »

I received my Lil’ Lum Nishijin today from SFO. (Fast shipping!) I, and Sharp Guy, were curious about how they compare in size and shape. I took these initial photos to illustrate.

The Lil’ Lum is definitely a three-finger knife but it’s shape locks the handle into the hand such that this isn’t a detriment. It is a small knife, like the Rhino and isn’t meant for hard, forceful cutting tasks.

I am very pleased with the Lil’ Lum and the Nishijin has to be seen to fully appreciate its beauty.

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Re: Lil’ Lum Compared to the Rhino

Post by Sharp Guy »

Looks good Michael! I think I'm gonna have to get me one of thise Lil Lums.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes. I know it will make you smile.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd rather have the Rhino. The grip looks better for real use and it seems just as classy with the carbon fiber.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

More photos:

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm
I think I'd rather have the Rhino. The grip looks better for real use and it seems just as classy with the carbon fiber.
The Rhino gives me a 4-finger grip and the shape tends to lock my hand in place. The Lil’ Lum’s Handle is a 3-finger one for me but having used it at a few tasks today for its size and handle shape it is quite secure. I will know more as time goes on. And, it makes me 😊

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm
I had the full sized lum and it felt a little insecure in my hand, I feel like a three finger version of the knife would magnify that. Stabbing the lum into a cardboard box felt like playing with fire.

The rhino is a 3 finger knife for me too, but it's a lot more secure in the hand.

Another small, secure knife for me is the Spin. For some reason no one ever talks about that knife.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A pair of little gems Michael and both on my short list.

Many Thanks for the photos. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 pm
A pair of little gems Michael and both on my short list.

Many Thanks for the photos. :)
You are welcome. Gems indeed!

My taste seems to run to the fringes of folding knife designs. One-Eyed Jack, Rhino and Lil’ Lum. There are many Spydercos I like and would have, money not being an obstacle: Military, Para 3, Hundred Pacer, Vrango, Schemp Bowie, Dog Tag Gen 4…

I kinda like the odd balls that push the envelope.

You will enjoy both.

Now, if someone releases an exclusive Lum Chinese, the mid-size version, or a sprint appears, I’m on it!

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Rats, Michael, you reminded me that I should have grabbed a Vrango when they were on clearance. Would have been a sweet little knife.

And for what it's worth, your constant posting about the Rhino drove me to get one and it has made a great office carry. I've carried it every day to work.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting comparison. Please update us on what the differences are in use. Although I’m visually very much drawn to the odder forms, I find Spyderco’s in-house designs so reliably effective that I rarely venture away!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm
Rats, Michael, you reminded me that I should have grabbed a Vrango when they were on clearance. Would have been a sweet little knife.

And for what it's worth, your constant posting about the Rhino drove me to get one and it has made a great office carry. I've carried it every day to work.
I’m glad. It’s a surprisingly useful blade shape and great handle design too. I’ve had to learn to sharpen the long sweep on my Sharpmaker but that took only a little while. Mine opens smoothly (I can flick it, but I don’t) and through basic use, I can flip the blade mostly closed now.

The ergonomics of this knife are so good, I would like to see the same handle with a different, more “traditional” blade shape. I think more people would be interested and would appreciate the ergonomics.

Team Innovation
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

I have a Rhino and I've handled the Lil' Lum multiple times (trying to make myself like it I suppose), but it just didn't immediately feel right to me as the Rhino did for whatever reason. Regardless, it's a great looking little knife and I really like the blade shape.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

They both look great! With the size and design differences I would say they shouldn't be compared at all.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

bouhunter wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:50 am
They both look great! With the size and design differences I would say they shouldn't be compared at all.
I agree. Very different designs. For me the Bob Lum inspired design overcomes the smallness overall. And, the Nishijin scales are just beautiful.

Team Innovation
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm
Now, if someone releases an exclusive Lum Chinese, the mid-size version, or a sprint appears, I’m on it!
BladeHQ still has their HAP40/Jade G10 exclusive of the Lum Chinese available! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, I saw that. I’m not a fan of laminated blades. Don’t like asymmetric lamination lines and I’m not fond of natural G10. Might like it ok as it is kind of “jade” in color but the lamination lines are a deal breaker for me. I’m watching eBay (didn’t bid on one this week with Nishijin scales. Went for $145 and low shipping. Doh!) some deal will turn up or another exclusive may happen.

Team Innovation