Thoughts on new micarta handle spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Supacede

Thoughts on new micarta handle spydies?

Post by Supacede »

Hi,

Is there much interest in new/sprint/flash batch models with micarta handles?

Does it make financial sense for Spyderco?

The old calypsos, goddards, etc are forever stuck in my head lol.

Appreciate it.

Thomas
Evil D

Re: Thoughts on new micarta handle spydies?

Post by Evil D »

I'm in as long as they're polished and contoured. To be honest though G10 is super nice polished too. I guess there's a shrinkage issue or something that makes micarta kind of a nightmare to work with in production.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 am
I'm in as long as they're polished and contoured. To be honest though G10 is super nice polished too. I guess there's a shrinkage issue or something that makes micarta kind of a nightmare to work with in production.

See, i'm the opposite. I prefer the matte finished Micarta. I feel like the polished Micarta, or any polished scale for that matter is too slippery, and slippery is dangerous. I had and sold the smooth G10 Native and passed on the smooth G10 Cruwear PM2. I like texture.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am
Evil D wrote:

See, i'm the opposite. I prefer the matte finished Micarta. I feel like the polished Micarta, or any polished scale for that matter is too slippery, and slippery is dangerous. I had and sold the smooth G10 Native and passed on the smooth G10 Cruwear PM2. I like texture.

Oh I definitely like rough micarta too, but I also prefer to rely on ergonomics for grip over grip texture. The Street Beat is a good example, the deep choil locks your hand in place.
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Micarta does seem over due. I'm hoping for a light color that is oil/dye friendly. Maybe the K390 Chaparral will have micarta? ;)
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

What type of micarta/finish were the old, previous generation calypso, goddards, etc? I'm talking the 90's models, I think they're awesome.

Thanks, peeps, and thanks Sal n crew.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I feel like when smooth I cannot really tell much of a difference between g10 and micarta. My Street Beat is Micarta and my Bradley Bowie is G10. I don’t have a preference between the two. The Des Horn is polished G10 and looks great.

As far as polished vs coarser finishes? I like smoother finishes. First of all they look better to me. Second,with good ergonomics I will take a smoother grip as it usually gives me less hot spots. I just don’t need texture on a knife with a choil, finger guard or palm swell. Well, I don’t even need texture on a Puukko but that is probably because I like to use them for carving and a smooth handle is less apt to give me a blister.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Yeah, that'd be cool, abbazaba.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Micarta might be my favourite handle material whether it's polished or not. I think I'd rather have polished for folders and rough for fixed blades... but maybe this is because of what I am used to (Persian and ESEE 3, respectively).
Evil D wrote:
G10 is super nice polished too
Very true. I know I prefer it to CF, for example. I wonder why polished G10 isn't more common: is it simply much more expensive than regular G10, or are there other reasons?
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

More. Micarta. Please. I prefer bead blasted but I’ll take any way it’s offered.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I like Micarta a lot. I had no idea there were production problems involving shrinkage and such -- maybe that explains why we don't see more of it.
I bought some Micarta to try to teach myself how to make scales for some of my Mules. I was thinking/hoping that the dust from working it would
be less of a hazard that the dust from G10 -- and that is probably true, it won't have glass fibers in the dust.

I have the big Temperance 2 fixed blade, and that is my poster child for Micarta that I like. It isn't polished, but is quite smooth, sort of a satin finish.

I have warmed up some to smoother knives -- the Cruwear PM2 with smooth G10 helped me adjust my thinking. At first I was not happy at all about how smooth it is -- but it actually is just fine. And think about grandpa's slip joint knife -- they were always polished smooth and nobody thought twice about it.

So it is another case of "give me variety". I am carrying the CF/Ti military a lot recently -- and the titanium side is plenty smooth, and it is just fine.

In general though, I like my tools to supply some friction with the gripping surface.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I pick up Micarta models whenever I can, so it's a definite yes from me! :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:50 am
Evil D wrote:

So there is talk of Micarta handles on a Shaman Sprint. Would you consider those handles to be Smooth or Matte? I was thinking they were smooth compared to the standard g-10 spyderco uses. But then I was handling a friends knife that had polished G-10 on it and I realized the Shaman had a bit of grip to it in comparison.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Maybe time to see another caly family member dressed in micarta?
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

For sure, I'm all in on some Micarta.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I like micarta. As others have said it’s mainly the smooth contoured handles I like, G10 and micarta are equivalent as far as that goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure there's a world of difference between manufacturing slab scales vs scales that have nested liners. If they're going to attempt the Shaman it'll be impressive to see. By comparison it would be much easier to do a Manix 2 or GB1 where the liners aren't nested.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a big fan of canvas or denim micarta. I feel the visual appeal is pretty great.

Sprints would be great, but I'm not sure I'd give up G10 for normal production use. It's just so reliable.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Is there a reason why we don't see many knives in micarta from Spyderco?

Seems like that's what alot of us would like to see.
C
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Thumbs up for micarta here as well. My micarta experience is more or less limited to the ones that Esee uses on many of their models (aside from the Street Beat), but I absolutely love the feel.