Spydiechef CQI??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Big50

Re: Spydiechef CQI??

Post by Big50 »

I had a little bit of lock stick out of the box. It went away quickly.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Hailon wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 am
How about addressing the lock stick it suffers from? Mine is also about 80% lock up.
Mine is not a CQI model (you don't even know if it's worth buying a new model when released or wait for them to fix it a year later :D ) and has a bit of lock stick. also late lockup, but I'm not too worried about it

To address the lock stick they would have to add a steel insert to the already thin lockbar or heat treat the lock interface, both would cost them more than changing the detent ball on a CQI model so it's improbable :D

Consider yourself lucky, like I do, that Spyderco didn't dump the hourglass pocket clip on Spydiechef, making it look silly and standing out 5 centimeters out of your pocket, the wire clip was a gift sent from heaven :D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 pm
I love the Spydiechef but what I really want to see is the Spydiechef 2 that we saw some prototype pics of recently. Longer blade with more of a point. Looks like a spydichef on steroids!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1553471/
I’d buy one of those. So few folding knives have proper hand clearance for cutting board use. It would be my perfect car trip knife when visiting friends. Before I sharpen their kitchen knives, we have to dine! I’ve used knives as small as a Delica in dull kitchens, but Spydiechef 2 would be so much better.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 pm
I love the Spydiechef but what I really want to see is the Spydiechef 2 that we saw some prototype pics of recently. Longer blade with more of a point. Looks like a spydichef on steroids!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... e.1553471/
Now I know what I'm saving for next.

Sal, if I may beat the dead horse once more, can we have this one with a Vanax blade?
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

donutsrule wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:33 pm
I hope there’s another shipment of these coming over from Taichung, soon.
I’m looking forward to using one.
Well, I gave up waiting for the recommended retailers to be restocked, rolled the dice and ordered one I found online ... fingers crossed it's a good (and CQI) one.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I preordered mine off Knifecenter at the start of this forum, and they just reached out to me today for some clarity on my "request".

For some reason my description didn't go through initially, so I just sent them an email regarding the CQI details I gathered on here. I'm hoping this means they are ready to release them soon (Fingers Crossed). Since this is a fresh batch I'm sure they will feature the ceramic detent.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

False alarm they aren't in stock just yet...

but I will definitely be notified when they come in, and we'll have the verdict.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

donutsrule wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Well, I gave up waiting for the recommended retailers to be restocked, rolled the dice and ordered one I found online ... fingers crossed it's a good (and CQI) one.
Happy to report ordering through the big river seems to have gone okay and I now have a CQI Spydiechef. At least I think it’s a CQI one as the detent ball seems to be the same color as the ti handles and not the blade. So far have used it on some ribs I smoked and some watermelon, and unlike my green Native 5, it didn’t bite me the first time I washed it..
44MAGNUMB

Post by 44MAGNUMB »

I just bought one, can someone please let me know what the rest of the hardware is made out of? Are the standoffs and screws titanium or also lc200n to avoid rust?
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Since I'm contemplating getting me one of these: is there a way to directly tell from the serial wether it's the upgraded version or not?
prsman

Post by prsman »

neuronic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 am
Since I'm contemplating getting me one of these: is there a way to directly tell from the serial wether it's the upgraded version or not?
Good question!
SpyderSeth

Post by SpyderSeth »

neuronic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 am
You can tell by the date code on the box. Look for date code DR or newer.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

SpyderSeth wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

Oh, ok, I see... didn't get that earlier. Thanks, Seth.
So an April one is safe to have the upgraded detent?
prsman

Post by prsman »

neuronic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am
SpyderSeth wrote:

What about an “AS”?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

prsman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am
neuronic wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am
SpyderSeth wrote:

What about an “AS”?
S is newer than r. S=2019 r=2018
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Months later...

Still loving the Spydiechef!!!!!
Happy to see it back in stock at most places, was tempted to get another... but funds have been going to adulting and mountain biking so far.
Quite happy with my model and use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's classy, sleek, and function the best of everything.
prsman

Post by prsman »

I’ve had the chef for one week and love it. Love how it sits in the pocket and what a slicer....killer knife. This must be a “cqi” version, as it has “AS” noted on the serial no code. Dig it waay more than the zt801.

All of this chat regarding the wear and tear of the ti on the steel has me concerned. Should I be or am I waay overreacting?
6B1AB4EC-9CBE-411D-B482-6DDFDCECEBD6.jpeg
violentgrip

Post by violentgrip »

prsman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 pm
I’ve had the chef for one week and love it. Love how it sits in the pocket and what a slicer....killer knife. This must be a “cqi” version, as it has “AS” noted on the serial no code. Dig it waay more than the zt801.

All of this chat regarding the wear and tear of the ti on the steel has me concerned. Should I be or am I waay overreacting?6B1AB4EC-9CBE-411D-B482-6DDFDCECEBD6.jpeg
Look at the actual blade tang (lock up area) to see the marks. From a straight upward view of the RIL, mine looks to be around 65-70%. If I oook at the blade tang and where the RIL actually contacts, it’s right at 50%. It’s the same way on the Slysz Bowie.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

prsman wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 pm

All of this chat regarding the wear and tear of the ti on the steel has me concerned. Should I be or am I waay overreacting?6B1AB4EC-9CBE-411D-B482-6DDFDCECEBD6.jpeg
I have the newer version, the same as you, don't worry a bit about the Ti wearing. I've now flipped mine thousands of times and there is no wear whatsoever. The lock stick I initially had, quickly disappeared.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Laser Chef
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives