Question about Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JDWY

Question about Sharpmaker

Post by JDWY »

Long, long time Spyderco knife owner but new owner of a Sharpmaker. Mine arrived yesterday and I noticed all the stones fit snuggly in their base slots except one. No matter which stone or which way it's turned, the inner 40° slot is very loose allowing the stone to have 1/2 to 5/8" back and forth play measured at the top of the installed stone. Then checking it with a small adjustable T square, it seems to be off a few degrees compared to the other tighter 40° slot when it's in the outward position as it is when using it. Anyone notice if they are all like this or I should exchange it?
The Meat man

Re: Question about Sharpmaker

Post by The Meat man »

Yep, that is how mine is too. The one 40° slot has a lot of wiggle. I just ignore it and use it anyway.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JDWY,

Welcome to our forum.

I believe they re all the same. So I don't think that exchanging it will make a difference. I also don't think you will notice a difference in use as you will be going back to the same sharpener at the same angle. The consistency is more critical than a few degrees.

We are working on refining the slide for the mold, but this is a periodic adjustment due to wear.

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mine is the same. I find that it doesnt move when using it though. Just keep the pressure light.
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Thanks for the quick answers. I pretty much assumed just what you all said. Plus the human hand (especially mine) has to vary a degree or two while sharpening anyway. I only sharpened my Delica so far and it does do a great job.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Spyderco Tri-Angle Stones are loose in all of the slots on my Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker as well... and, they have been since I bought it new. However, as others have noted, once you start sharpening, the stones firm up in the slots and I get nice, sharp edges on my blades. As Sal noted, it's consistency that matters the most, and that includes how consistently you draw the knife down the stones as well as consistently in using the same sharpener (Sharpmaker) each time you sharpen your knives.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Mines the same. I have sharpened many knives, folding and fixed and some scissors with mine and that wiggle hasn’t hurt a bit.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Littlefoot.

Post by Littlefoot. »

I've just bought a sharpmaker here in the UK. My 40° inner slot is also loose by approximately 1° to 1.5°. I thought that I may just use a thin flexible celluloid shim material to hold it a little more steady whilst I am sharpening. Fortunately the angle is correct when the rods are relaxed. I could probably just leave it but, I think that I would feel better whilst I'm working with it, as it were.
I have to admit that I was nearly in the process of sending it back until I started searching on our forum. So, thank you very much peeps. I wish you all a very good day.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The main recommendation I give to all owners of the Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker is that you want to "maximize" your Sharpmaker. And what I mean by that is to get all the extra stones you can buy for it. Most definitely get the diamond and Ultra-fine stones immediately. Because those two will really make your unit a lot more versatile and yield much better overall results. If I didn't have the diamond and Ultra-Fine stones I will feel as though I only had about a half of a system.

The diamond stones aren't nearly as costly as they once were and the Ultra-Fine stones have always been reasonably priced. I've yet to get the CBN stones but I will have a set before the year is over. It's a great kit type system and probably the very best on the overall market. Now it's not comparable to one of the deluxe, upper tier units like the Wicked Edge or EDGE Pro systems but those are in the $300+ price range.

Try to get those extra stones and let us know what you think.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I've had a sharpmaker for about 6 months. I need to practice more. Some of these guys get really freaking good edges even with a tiny wiggle. I'm not there yet. I usually default to another method that I'm more familiar with even though the other methods take longer. Having said that, i keep the sharpmaker out in the kitchen and do a couple of touch up strokes every couple of days, depending on use, on my kitchen knives with the brown stone. Never noticed the slight loseness having a negative effect. I can't keep my other setups out. The wife would not like that at all. But she's okay with the sharpmaker staying out. I even snuck a couple of glances of her doing some touch ups. She doesn't know i know. Or maybe she does.

Tldr;
If all of the stones are the same except one, it might be worth sending it in to see what the folks at the company think.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

Mine is the same. I thought it was something I did. LOL I checked and the good news is each side is exactly 20 degree angle. You would have to push the stones inward to change the angle and even if you did that it only changes a few degrees.
setldown

Post by setldown »

There was a discussion over at BF about the play. If you scroll down to post #18 you'll see the efforts some have gone to eliminate it. I'll just live with it.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/tri ... t-18166131
Littlefoot.

Post by Littlefoot. »

Thank you all for the replies. I now agree that as I will essentially be stroking downwards, as it were, I'll just leave it alone.
I do have to, like others, need some serious practice.
I do have another question though folks. I've just managed to get hold of a Euroedge. We'll, it's on its way. It would seem that I've bought it just in time, as it's due to be discontinued. My question, eventually, is how is the blade pivot made up?
I'm just being a little impatient is all. I couldn't help myself, I'll never be able to take it out to have some fun with it.
My son accused me of being an adult. I was most upset at that. I've never really thought of myself as an adult.
Still, never mind. Its very good talking with you all. Take care over and out. Littlefoot.