Persistence vs. Tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
redhawk44357

Persistence vs. Tenacious

Post by redhawk44357 »

I was looking at the latest catalogue and I was wondering what the forum residents think of the Tenacious and Persistence as for quality and useability. Are they simply a step above Byrds? Do you have them and use them? I am considering one or both as a next purchase and don't want to rely on the reviews from KC. Thanks.
npad69

Re: Persistence vs. Tenacious

Post by npad69 »

why don't you just get both? you can always gift away the one that you least prefer from the two
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Personally I feel that the Byrd Crow and Raven are a step above the budget Spyderco line. I had a Tenacious and loved it but my Raven has better steel, beefier build and i love forward finger choils. I'm pretty sure the liners are thicker on the Raven too.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’ve only owned one Byrd. It may have been defective but long story short it ended up in the trash. I imagine Byrds in general are fine and like the Spyderco line quality is improving all the time.

I own a Tenacious SE and an Ambitious. I’m quite happy with them. You should cross shop against the Alcyone and Polestar though. They are newer Chinese models. One of both of them has BD-1 steel which is a slight improvement over 8CrMoV13.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I own 3 Spyderco Tenacious knives and I love them. I have one in my truck, one in my range bag, and one currently in my pocket. My wife also has one in her car. They are great beater knives that just work. I’m on camping trip, so I have on in my pocket to hand out as a loaner...not going to give my PM2 52100 to some to abuse:) buy one and you will be very happy with it. Walmart has them for $38 each a week ago in store. I feel it’s a $60-80 knife. If it had fancy steel, people would pay $100 for it all day.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Tenacious is a great working and outdoor knife:
- tough enough;
- 8Cr13MoV is easy to sharpen;
- excellent liner lock;
- comfortable;
- good value for money.

Persistence is way too small.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I gave away my persistence.
It was too heavy.
Tenacious is better looking (blade shape).

I prefer lightweight and compression lock.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I have a Tenacious.

It was my first Spyderco knife and it kick started my love for this brand of knives. It is a perfect size for my hand (size large gloves) and the shape of the blade and cutting edge is exactly what I need in a blade.

My only complaint is the 8cr13mov steel will begin to corrode very quickly if it doesn't get wiped down or cleaned after use in humidity. When I first got mine I EDC'd it for 3 days and I noticed a few rust spots that had appeared on the blade around the Spydie hole. I live in a fairly humid climate and I sweat a lot when I work, so that definitely contributed to the corrosion. That evening I went out and got a few products to clean and maintain the steel.

I don't EDC the Tenacious anymore but when I did, I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol just about every night and disassembled it weekly to make sure no rust had popped up around the pivot.

It's a great little blade and will last a long while if it's taken care of.

-BR :spyder:
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN