How good is the Chaparral - and is the Ti worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Re: How good is the Chaparral - and is the Ti worth it?

Post by Reject »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:51 pm
Hey Reject,

Great poem. May we use it?

sal
No worries mate. :) Use as you like.
How much can a Koala bear?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Short answer (IMO)
It's very good!
No, not really
:)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Can't wait for the Kopa any ETA? I love XHP but was just wonder have you guys ever discussed using something other than XHP on the chappy?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sal

Post by sal »

For the purpose of the series, we're trying to keep the steel consistent. Though with the FRN version, we may play with other steels as sprints.

I would like to add; when I see someone trying to determine if a model is "worth the price", is really isn't a valid question as it is completely dependent on whether or not you can afford it? our margins are relatively fixed so when a model cost a bunch more, like the Ti variations, they cost more because they cost more to make. They are all worth it in terms of dollar value per cost of manufacture.

The stealth Ti variation was supposed to be the first, but it tool so long to refine the design that we made the CF version because I was tired of waiting. It is actually one of my favorite models.

sal
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have one in the Raffir Noble. Beautiful, great knife. Will probably buy an FRN user at some point because I consider my current one a “dress” knife. I own several Titanium handled knives and too me they are worth it. I like the feel of the material in hand.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Much like “form follows function” if manufacturers margins are fixed then the cost and subsequent price to the consumer also follows in a direct ratio to the cost to make the item. Obviously a Ti Chaparral will cost more than the FRN model. Its financial worth is inherent in the materials and cost to bring it to market. Is then a Ti Chaparral “worth” more than a FRN Chaparral?

Now we are faced with exactly what “worth” means. To define that term is necessary before such a question can be answered realistically.

If worth means is it worth financially, on the market, what was paid, then it would be yes. Perhaps more over time.

If worth means does it do what I expected it to do, and the financial value is there, then the answer would be yes. Otherwise, no.

If I bought a stepped Ti Chaparral and it didn’t perform as I expected, even though it is a work of art in knife making, I would say it wasn’t worth it. If my esthetic trumped my desire for performance, then it would. “Worth” is such a personal attribute it is hard to assign any objective definition.

To me, the Chaparral FRN is going to be my second Spyderco in my little family of three. Some days I will carry it, others my Rhino, and others both. I think it is a major value in cost, design and performance.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Fair points, well made, regarding “worth”.

What I was looking for as an answer, though, was “Of course it is, just buy one!”

Anyhow, after much internet research and painfully slow deliberation, I’m now looking forward to receiving my brand new Chaparral stealth Ti.

I know this model is “old news” but the more I’ve considered it, the more it’s appeal has grown. Taichung quality and top materials, indeed, but the clincher for me, over one collaboration or another, discounted or not, is just how completely resolved Sal’s designs always are.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hey, that's cool! A Ti Chaparral will be an amazing knife. Post photos, please and frequent reports. Congratulations.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chrisinhove,

Thanx for the kind comment. I put a great deal of effort into my designs. It's nice to know that effort is appreciated by some.

"Of course it is, just buy one".

The high to low points on the "stealth" Chaparral is .011 difference. We had to make many drawings and models to end up with the finished product. If you get one, I'm sure you will enjoy and appreciate the piece.

sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'm not aware of a slicier production knife. And it's got class. Everyone should own one, just for going to church etc.

From a functional standpoint, the LW version is probably the "best" Chaparral, because it's got so much grip. The ruggedness of Titanium isn't doing much for you on a knife that's really not designed for the user to lean into the cutting. So what you're buying is Titanium's sheer allure. An allure to which I will admit I am far from immune. But personally, like Sal says, "worth it" intersects with "can afford it," and that extra $75 or whatever it is, is money I could spend on another three-quarters or half of a pretty nice knife.

I've got an original CF/S30V Chaparral and it's great, but the edge is starting to get close to the Spyderhole, and the bevels are getting pretty wide. Now I'm seeing how long I can hold out for a Micarta version. I may need to get a LW to tide me over.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 am
I put a great deal of effort into my designs. It's nice to know that effort is appreciated by some.
I’m sure you do. I think more than any other of your knives that design is completely obvious to everyone at every level. Sometimes good design isn’t obvious. I haven’t seen a review that wasn’t glowing for this knife. My initial reaction was that I should just sell off any knife even remotely in that size class.
superposition

Post by superposition »

I just got the raffir noble version, because I think it's fun. I like the chappy better than the delica. Just fits my hand better.

I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. Just big enough to feel good in the hand. Just a perfect size. I thought it was going to sit in a drawer, but I will definitely carry.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How do they do that? Order to delivery in less than 24 hours....

My very first impressions are very positive indeed. The finish is flawless, the lock is positive but not stiff, edges are crisp, and the scale treatment is beautiful. It really is like nothing else I have handled: subtle 3D texturing following the triangular milled pattern. Stunning.

Of no surprise is the ergonomics. As I’d hoped for from the catalogue and your kind replies, I have a full 4 finger grip and the optimal Urban sized blade.

Luckily for me, Gentlemen’s Knives are not reserved for gentlemen!
Attachments
C5EA81F3-750F-4078-A1DD-1BA979A88035.jpeg
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Glad to hear!