I s’pose it’s what you get used to.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

I s’pose it’s what you get used to.

Post by Bloke »

With the release of the new Rex45 PM2 and thinking maybe I should have bought one I decided I’d carry my S110V PM2 today and put it in my back pocket this morning like I do any of the three Millies I rotate and went to work.

I don’t remember opening it.

Half way through the morning I had to go onboard Ship so went to my locker to change into overalls and boots. I unclipped the PM2 and put it on the shelf. I changed clothes, grabbed the knife and for whatever reason thumbed it open. The first thing that struck me was I needed more force to overcome the detent than I’m used to with my Millies. The second and funniest thing was when I opened it I was left wondering were the rest of the blade was and had a little chuckle. :rolleyes: Ah, hahaha! :)

Anyhow, hopefully my pre-ordered Rex45 Military isn’t too far away and a Maxamet follows soon enough.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
attila

Re: I s’pose it’s what you get used to.

Post by attila »

I've yet to experience a Military, so the Rex 45 is gonna be my first. Which flavors do you have so far?

My perspective on length was the opposite when I opened my first PM2 after using 3" blades for a long stretch. I look forward to having a 4" bladed pocket knife.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a Digi Cam S30V, 204P and an S110V and I’m kicking myself for letting the M4 slip.

All said the biggest knife I ever carried was a 110 Buck many years ago and a German Bull Stag Sodbuster. Before I got into Spyders I rotated little Puma Four Stars.

When my first Military arrived I thought it was huge but that only lasted till I carried it a couple of times.

I think you’ll be very happy with any flavour Military. I think it’s as near perfect as a folding knife gets. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Military has a way of shrinking on you. I feel like it is sort of like driving a truck. It feels big at first but after a while driving a car feels weird.

I have actually reached a weird place with knife sizes. I don’t love 3.5 inch folders as much anymore. They lack the precision and control of a 3 inch folder and they lack the reach and cutting ability of a 4 inch folder. I carried my Cruwear Military and Super Blue Delica together as a dedicated combo for a good stretch of time. It gave me so much functionality and versatility. I have also really learned to appreciate the Military/Native combo. I now often only grab 3.5 inch folders when I am only carrying one knife.

I understand why many people cannot or do not want to carry a larger folder but if they are something you like then the Military is about as good as it gets. I am eagerly waiting for the REX45 and trying to stay hopeful for a Maxamet. It would be stellar to see a 10V/K390 as well and I wouldn’t say no to one in 4V. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 pm
I am eagerly waiting for the REX45 and trying to stay hopeful for a Maxamet. It would be stellar to see a 10V/K390 as well and I wouldn’t say no to one in 4V. :)
I’m quite exited about the Rex45. It will be my first carbon steel Military and I don’t think I’ll be letting any other new releases slip by like the M4.

I do hope the Military stays as is. I honestly believe I’ve found THE folder.

God Bless Mr Glesser! ;)
attila

Post by attila »

Thank you Alex for the enlightenment, reassurance, and kind words. My only worry is the liner lock. One of my most serious injuries was due to a linerlock failing, so I am a bit hesitant. Fortunately, the Military is a standard to measure others against, so I trust that it'll restore my faith in liner locks.

Thank you, Darby, for the wisdom pertaining to blade size.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

bearfacedkiller

Ha, wisdom, your too kind. More like sharing my preferences and opinions, both of which are subject to change. ;)

I hope you enjoy your Military and please share your thoughts on it when you get it. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Military, definitely, not Paramilitary.

Think how awesome an already great Military would be with a Compression Lock or a back lock (my choice).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

attila wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:35 pm
Thank you Alex for the enlightenment, reassurance, and kind words. My only worry is the liner lock. One of my most serious injuries was due to a linerlock failing, so I am a bit hesitant. Fortunately, the Military is a standard to measure others against, so I trust that it'll restore my faith in liner locks.

Thank you, Darby, for the wisdom pertaining to blade size.
Like Darby said, you’re too kind. :o

I’m sure you’ll like your new Military and I too hope you share your thoughts. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:14 am

Think how awesome an already great Military would be with a Compression Lock or a back lock (my choice).
Doc, I love you like a brother and we have so many similar views on so many things ... no clips on Manbugs ...

Anymore talk on changes to The Military and you’ll be off the Christmas Card list. :p
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Doc Dan wrote:

This!

It's the only thing that has kept me from purchasing a Military. I almost bought one, but instead purchased a Calypso.

WHERE'S THE MILITARY 2?!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Im going to buy a kw military cf/ti s90v because I think I'll enjoy the frame lock more than the liner lock. Then I can also drill it out for tip down.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Doc, I love you like a brother and we have so many similar views on so many things ... no clips on Manbugs ...

Anymore talk on changes to The Military and you’ll be off the Christmas Card list. :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 pm
Ha, wisdom, your too kind. More like sharing my preferences and opinions, both of which are subject to change. ;)

I hope you enjoy your Military and please share your thoughts on it when you get it. :)
Bloke wrote: Like Darby said, you’re too kind. :o

I’m sure you’ll like your new Military and I too hope you share your thoughts. :)
Will do, gents.

bearfacedkiller

I want them all! For a knife that seems to sell sprints/exclusives slowly the older sprints are hard to find. I almost never see the BG42, XHP or CPMD2 sprints for sale and when I see the M390 it is going for a lot of money. I keep looking though! Bring on the REX45 and the Maxamet!

-Darby
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military probably is the best all around knife Spyderco makes IMO. It really does shrink with use. I initially hated the size of the handle but I've come to love it. I spent all of my youth never carrying anything larger than a Buck 110 and that felt like a sword back then because most of what I used was smaller Case or Victorinox slip joints. I even started out with Spyderco with the Native and Delica and back then the Military felt like overkill until I finally bought one and started using it. I don't think it's a knife you can fondle and grow to love, you need to use it to fully appreciate it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have abused the 204p Mili and I really like it. It took a long time to grow on me though--it's just so big.

I've collected some others now, and I have to say the KW RIL s90v version is the best on I've seen. I don't have a Sebenza, but I can't see any way I'd like one more than that Mili.
FK

Post by FK »

I have used and enjoyed the Spyderco Military for almost 20 years.

Tried many other brands and now the Spyderco Military, PM2 and Para 3 sprints/limited is all I collect.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The military is a classic, no doubt about it. I only have one (the green CTS-204p), just 'cause a person has to have a military. I find I usually carry a PM2 though, I'm not sure why. I probably should pick up the police in K390, after that the military ought to seem small. The main reason I haven't is this flood of interesting sprints and exclusives that keeps my knife budget drained. I'm waiting to see if I get lucky on a preorder for a Rex45 military, if so then I will have two and can pick between green and orange.

It caught my attention that Attila mentions his only serious knife injury from a liner lock (of an unspecified origin). Another kick against the liner lock that I never used to think twice about. If there is any liner lock a person can trust though, it ought to be the one on the Spyderco Military.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

These Military threads always get me so interested in getting one. It's way too big to legally carry in San Francisco. Back when I lived in Dallas, I went to a Cabella's and asked if they had any PM2s. The guy said no, but they had a Military. I opened it up with a thumb flick, and couldn't believe how fast it was. I thought for sure it was assisted. I also thought it was way too big, but putting it in my pocket showed me that it was easy to carry. **** you and these Military posts!