I s’pose it’s what you get used to.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: I s’pose it’s what you get used to.

Post by The Meat man »

My experience has been the same - the Military looks like a giant knife until you use it for awhile. Then everything else seems small.

It's such a well designed knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm
With the release of the new Rex45 PM2 and thinking maybe I should have bought one I decided I’d carry my S110V PM2 today and put it in my back pocket this morning like I do any of the three Millies I rotate and went to work.

I don’t remember opening it.

Half way through the morning I had to go onboard Ship so went to my locker to change into overalls and boots. I unclipped the PM2 and put it on the shelf. I changed clothes, grabbed the knife and for whatever reason thumbed it open. The first thing that struck me was I needed more force to overcome the detent than I’m used to with my Millies. The second and funniest thing was when I opened it I was left wondering were the rest of the blade was and had a little chuckle. :rolleyes: Ah, hahaha! :)

Anyhow, hopefully my pre-ordered Rex45 Military isn’t too far away and a Maxamet follows soon enough.
And this is why I Love Australia... :spyder:

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

toxophilus wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm
And this is why I Love Australia... :spyder:

Ah, hahaha! :)

Come visit us tox! We’re Scooby Do and Loop the Loop, funny friendly buggers and you’ll have a ball! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Come visit us.... We’re ....funny friendly buggers.... ;)
Image :D been saving that one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm
:D been saving that one.
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

As funny as it is Matt it’s not far wrong. Irrespective of whether he understood or not, in true Australian spirit why miss an opportunity to buck authority and have a laugh?

I was booked recently for a minor traffic offence and after the copper gave me the ticket he asked if there was anything I had to say. My reply was: “Nah mate, but I wouldn’t put on anymore weight if I was you”. ;)

Unfortunately the insanity of political correctness is killing our culture. After people of my generation are all in the ground there won’t be anyone to step up to the plate.

I see it with my kids (32 and 35yrs). Although they’ll roll around laughing on the floor to my antics. They’re hesitant and cautious, fearful they may offend. Though in all fairness my daughter is a lot like me. :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 pm
Unfortunately the insanity of political correctness is killing our culture. After people of my generation are all in the ground there won’t be anyone to step up to the plate.

I see it with my kids (32 and 35yrs). Although they’ll roll around laughing on the floor to my antics. They’re hesitant and cautious, fearful they may offend. Though in all fairness my daughter is a lot like me. :cool:
I worry about that too. I'll be 40 in January, the last of Generation X (the last generation to grow up without a permanent social media record of everything they've ever done or said). I grew up in the 80's and 90's. A time when irreverent humor was celebrated. Comedians and late night TV was edgy... and actually funny. They'd vote you off the island for telling some of those jokes now. Those days are gone for the moment, and I worry they won't come back if the kids now don't start pushing the boundaries of political correctness like we used to. But like you see with your daughter, I see little rays of hope here and there that people will pry that stick loose and regain their sense of humor.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:40 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 pm

I worry about that too. I'll be 40 in January, the last of Generation X (the last generation to grow up without a permanent social media record of everything they've ever done or said). I grew up in the 80's and 90's. A time when irreverent humor was celebrated. Comedians and late night TV was edgy... and actually funny. They'd vote you off the island for telling some of those jokes now. Those days are gone for the moment, and I worry they won't come back if the kids now don't start pushing the boundaries of political correctness like we used to. But like you see with your daughter, I see little rays of hope here and there that people will pry that stick loose and regain their sense of humor.
It certainly is a worry but like the thread title, I s’pose it’s what you’re used to. :)

I’m used to saying what’s on my mind and feel I call a spade a spade. Political correctness is foreign to me and I have trouble understanding the nonsense.

The sooner people start to understand that you can not give offence, you can only take offence the better. ;)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 am
Im going to buy a kw military cf/ti s90v because I think I'll enjoy the frame lock more than the liner lock. Then I can also drill it out for tip down.
The Cf/Ti S90V is certainly an interesting knife and I’ve looked at it a few times but I’m not too keen on black carbon fibre and I don’t overly like the feel of titanium.

All said I really wish I could handle one before I commit to buying one. Add to that, since July 1st we (here in Oz) pay 10% on top for anything we buy online for abroad and ...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

5-6 years ago I had a fluted and a Grey/ Cruwear millie. I carried them for a bit and inevitably sold them. They just didnt grow on me.

Last year I bought a Shaman and instantly fell in love with it and thought it was spyderco's best design so far....Few months later I bought a S110v Millie and for some reason, I absolutely fell in love with it, much more than the first time. I bought a M4/jade one shortly after and like that one even more. I cant go without my Jade millie now, **** , my Shaman only got carried once over the past 2 months ( I still think its the best 3.5 in folder ) . My Co worker handed me his Paramilitary 2 for a touchup recently and I thought he had bought himself a Para 3 at first. Other knives feel too small now :o .

There's just something about the design... There's a reason it hasn't changed much in 22 years.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

razorsharp wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 am
My Co worker handed me his Paramilitary 2 for a touchup recently and I thought he had bought himself a Para 3 at first. Other knives feel too small now :o .
It’s funny you should that because other than wondering where the rest of the blade went after opening the PM2 I couldn’t help but wonder how small must the Para 3 be? :rolleyes:
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I guess it really is what you are used to. Any more and my most common carry is a small CRK Inkosi and a Native LW S110V. Sometimes I will carry a large Inkosi or my only Military (jade M4). But I am used to a shorter blade, and I have caught myself (painfully) with the tip of the Military when I wasn't paying attention. I don't carry my PM2s very often. Note, though, that I work in an office and don't often need anything large.

I think the Military is great, and I really like the jade M4. But since I am more accustomed to 3" blades the Millie is pretty large. If I carried it more I am sure this would change. It is interesting that the blade length of the large Inkosi is not much different from a Millie, but it feels somewhat shorter. The distance from hand to tip is noticeably less.

I actually really like the Para 3. It fits my hand better than the Millie or the PM2. It is a very capable smaller knife. When I first used it for some cuts in hard wood that required force I realized right away that it was plenty of knife.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Gaaaah now you are making me think I should have carried my Millie today. This and awa's thread.
vivi

Post by vivi »

these things always make me laugh. One reason I let go of my Para 2 is it's smaller than I want in an EDC folder. I see a lot of posts where people talk about it being too big for EDC.
:unicorn
Crux

Post by Crux »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 am
I want them all! For a knife that seems to sell sprints/exclusives slowly the older sprints are hard to find. I almost never see the BG42, XHP or CPMD2 sprints for sale and when I see the M390 it is going for a lot of money. I keep looking though! Bring on the REX45 and the Maxamet!
Very nice Millies!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Too large for city carry, and not <4" anyhow, but a great get work done/outdoors knife. The handle and blade shape is **** near perfect, and it hides clipped to a back pocket well
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 am
Im going to buy a kw military cf/ti s90v because I think I'll enjoy the frame lock more than the liner lock. Then I can also drill it out for tip down.
The Cf/Ti S90V is certainly an interesting knife and I’ve looked at it a few times but I’m not too keen on black carbon fibre and I don’t overly like the feel of titanium.

All said I really wish I could handle one before I commit to buying one. Add to that, since July 1st we (here in Oz) pay 10% on top for anything we buy online for abroad and ...
Between this thread and seeing photos of that knife in another thread, I couldn't resist, so it is in the mail. It will be my number 2 military. Hope it is as good as they say! Certainly looks like a winner, and unique (as far as I know) as a frame lock military?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know we're all different but I kinda feel like if this knife won me over, after as much as I didn't like it initially, it can do so for most people. I am one of those people who value a near 50/50 blade to handle ratio, I know some see that as kinda silly but to me it suggests efficiency in the overall design (actually I still feel the Military could safely squeeze in another ~1/2 inch of blade and fill out the length of the handle). That being said I have come to love the Military handle design. I have larger than average hands and I often find myself wearing gloves on top of it, so smaller knives like the PM2 just feel cramped and ultimately cause hot spots and fatigue when used for extended periods. Despite my love of ratios I do find this to be a very good looking knife, but like I said in another comment the real beauty is seen in use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a PM2 but I never, ever, use it. I will take the Military any day over it. Although I only have 1 plain vanilla Millie, I have been sorely tempted by the REX 45 and the KW 204p. Perhaps closer to Christmas I will find an excuse for my wife to buy me a surprise gift.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Ok im second guessing the kw cf/ti s90v, I really like blurple s110v. What do I do?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

And I can't do both at once since I know how you all are.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam