Hello and Issue with Pro-Venator

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoatHerder

Hello and Issue with Pro-Venator

Post by GoatHerder »

Hello from (near) Seattle. Not a big knife guy but starting to learn more about it. My dad left me his Spyderco knife when he passed. It's a well-built and very good looking knife (IMO). I would like to continue to use that knife so I can remember my dad. but it started to have some issue with the rubber inserts.

I had to do some research on what exactly what the model is. On the blade, it had "Seki-City Japan" on one side and "Spyderco G-2 Stainless" on the other. On blade, there is "Everest 1991". Must be a special edition. There is rubber insert on one side of the handle and on the clip. After doing some search, I believe it's either a Pro-Grip or C13 Pro-Venator with combo blade.

Now the issue with the rubber inserts - over the years, the rubber has started to degrade, particularly at clip area. The rubber has turned gummy, to a point where it started to rub off on my hand and fingers when opening the blade or holding in hand.

Is this something that's covered under warranty or can be replaced with Spyderco/aftermarket clip? The screw hole pattern on this knife is a bit different than current model though.

Anyway, any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Tony

BTW, I am exploring the Spyderco's product line and considering the Delica for EDC.
SpyderNut

Re: Hello and Issue with Pro-Venator

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the Forum, Tony. :)

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Losing a loved one is never easy, but it is nice that your father left you the Pro-Venator to remember him by.

As for the issue with the rubber inserts, I would first contact Spyderco's Warranty and Repair Department and see what they would recommend in terms of replacing/repairing the clip. Given the age of the knife, it may be difficult for them to replace the rubber inserts. You can contact them via phone or e-mail: https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

Other than that, I would also check out e-Bay as you might be able to at least pick up a replacement pocket clip that matches your knife. I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps!

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Tony.

Probably your best option would be to call Spyderco's warranty division and see what they have to say.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to our forum.

That's a very old knife and the insert may not be possible to replace. Some customers have replaced the handle insert with wood or ? However the clip insert is not likely.

I would agree that contacting our customer service dept maybe the best option. Delica is a nice EDC.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Just a suggestion but you could buy a Delica for your everyday carry and carry your father's knife on special occasions. I agree that calling the spyderco warranty department and also searching on ebay for a replacement clip are the best options
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

A custom knife shop in Seattle would probably be able to make you custom handles for the blade. Sorry to hear about your dad. I have my brother’s old school stainless Steel business card holder...it sits on my desk in the office, so I get the desire to have a piece of your dad with yea. When you get the knife all fixed up, post a picture of it for us to gawk at:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

That's a very cool old knife. I'd go the route Sal mentioned and maybe have a skilled person replace the rubber with wood. Is the rubber bad on the scale too? If not, you may just take off the clip and carry it in pocket perhaps with a lanyard
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds like it's time to retire it and move on to something new and improved. Like Sal said if it's really special to you I might look for someone that can replace the rubber inlays with a nice wood or something but that might be costly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GoatHerder

Post by GoatHerder »

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. I will take your advice and reach out/send the knife to Spyderco's repair shop. I doubt they'd be able to repair the rubber insert. I'd be happy if a replacement metal clip, with the same screw holes is available, just so the knife is functional. If not, a customized clip insert or going clipless are good ideas, too. I will likely just carry it on special occassions, like spydergirl88 said, and get something different for EDC.

Tony