Pink DLC Native 5 LW (scale swap)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnickKnackCity

Pink DLC Native 5 LW (scale swap)

Post by KnickKnackCity »

My girlfriend recently expressed interest in wanting to try out a combo edged blade and asked me if Spyderco made any smaller partially serrated blades. The only one that came to mind was the Native. She has quite the pink :spyder: collection going already so figured I would add one more. This knife ticks off some firsts for her: Combo edge, DLC blade, S35VN (happy to get it while they are still around,) and first "mod." It was my first time doing a swap.
2018-08-14 12.30.34.jpg
2018-08-14 12.31.27.jpg
2018-08-14 12.31.03.jpg
Disassembly was super smooth except for one of the pivot screws stripped on me (Loctite.) If that wouldn't have happened I think I could have done this mod in start to finish in about 20 minutes w/ cleaning and lube.
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KnickKnackCity

Re: Pink DLC Native 5 LW (scale swap)

Post by KnickKnackCity »

2018-08-14 12.31.51.jpg
2018-08-14 12.30.05.jpg
2018-08-14 14.17.52.jpg
AFAIK the only other non-black DLC Native is the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive so I took it out to compare:
2018-08-14 12.32.56.jpg
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Thanks! It was a fun little project.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Very nice work! I’m a big fan of Native 5 blade swaps myself. There are a few other (non-black) stock and swapped DLC lightweight N5s out there - the Never Summer LC200N PS exclusive (interestingly the CC # is on the reverse of the blade for this one) and my dark gray S30V SE one that I’ve posted on here a few times. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Thanks Radioactive! I was hoping 'The King of Native 5 Swaps' would take notice ;) I ran across and admired a few of your satin jobs while researching beforehand. How could I hve forgotten the Never Summer?? Oh thats right, I gave mine away as a wedding gift and am pretty sure has never been carried :( So I try not to remember that beauty exists in the world. The dark gray is from a Maxamet, correct?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

looks good!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Gray/black in full SE is the business!
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

I have a question thats tangentially related to this topic. Is there any reason your couldn't take a blade out of a delica sprint run and drop it into one of the nice stainless handle delicas? I've always liked how stainless handles looked. Obviously I understand this would probably void both knives warranty which I think is fair.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:53 pm
Thanks Radioactive! I was hoping 'The King of Native 5 Swaps' would take notice ;) I ran across and admired a few of your satin jobs while researching beforehand. How could I hve forgotten the Never Summer?? Oh thats right, I gave mine away as a wedding gift and am pretty sure has never been carried :( So I try not to remember that beauty exists in the world. The dark gray is from a Maxamet, correct?
You’re very welcome and it’s all Roman’s fault that I love the Native 5 so much. :) Maybe you could convince your friend to trade the Never Summer one for a different one, assuming you supply one that would be equally or more interesting to them? And yes, the gray scales are off the Maxamet version, I also have a satin SE version with the gray handles and my favorite one of all - an unswapped perfect Maxamet second I picked up for $50 at the impromptu seconds sale Spyderco had at this year’s OKCA show :D.

As for SS Delica blade swaps, those are no possible since the pivots are pinned on those models (and are “hidden”). You’d have to use the Ti version (the one with the Damascus blade) to do any swaps, and yes that works fine. I’ve had multiple blades in my Ti one and it currently holds my VG-10 wharnie blade. Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:04 am
As for SS Delica blade swaps, those are no possible since the pivots are pinned on those models (and are “hidden”). You’d have to use the Ti version (the one with the Damascus blade) to do any swaps, and yes that works fine. I’ve had multiple blades in my Ti one and it currently holds my VG-10 wharnie blade. Hope that helps. Cheers, Radioactive :)
Oh that helps a lot. Especially since I was looking at the wharnie hap40. thank you!