Spyderco's + Stoves + Mess Kits?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco's + Stoves + Mess Kits?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nice! I always bring a French press camping. It is what we use at home as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 am
Nice! I always bring a French press camping. It is what we use at home as well.
I bought a Cuccuma for camping this year - really pleased. It makes a very smooth brew somewhere between espresso and French-press.

F4592652-9AA1-41A2-893E-3DE9CA7B6DC4.jpeg
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I have been trying to practice cooking over fire every chance I get. Just like sharpening up a knife, there is definitely a learning curve. My favorite cast iron piece is my Lodge SK20 lumberjack skillet. It's a heavy one, I keep it at my parents cabin in Seligman, AZ. Not my pic, but this is what it looks like.

Coffee is a must as well. Been practicing making cowboy coffee lately. Stanley Master Series 1.4qt keeps it hot and long.

Last time I went camping, a buddy of mine pulled out a Svante Fredén oven. Works very well. He made the biscuits, I made the potatoes, sausage and gravy. :)
C
Attachments
1534262286990-1119284008.jpg
Last edited by Calicoast on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Calicoast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:07 am
Lol, those shopping cart grills are popular in LA. :)
Haven't seen the titanium ones though hahaha.

Here is a picture of my car camping Weber Go Anywhere grill that I am modifying. Stainless steel 3/8 rod to hold the heat, split in two sections to add more charcoal to one side for low and slow. + Weber Go Anywhere SS Kabob kit from 1984, and some cast iron. Looking to add in some probe sensor grommets, so I can keep the lid closed / monitor temps. Think I am done after that, time to do some cooking. And a Spyderco Jumpmaster 2.
C
Those grates look the business! After-market stuff like that is hard to come by in the UK. :(
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^

If you look up the well known auction site / search: Weber go anywhere stainless grates. A guy up in N Cali manufacturers them. I also have the Weber gas go anywhere with the same SS grates for fire bans. He also makes a SS flavorizer plate that replaces the cheap one that weber used to include / that would rust out.

Also a company called Craycort makes cast iron grates. I have those on my Weber Performer, and they work really well.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I should add that I'm looking forward to adding the Bow River and especially the Province Ankerson/Sanders Bowie to my kit ASAP :D
bearfacedkiller

Calicoast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am
I have been trying to practice cooking over fire every chance I get. Just like sharpening up a knife, there is definitely a learning curve. My favorite cast iron piece is my Lodge SK20 lumberjack skillet. It's a heavy one, I keep at my parents cabin in Seligman, AZ. Not my pic, but this is what it looks like.

Coffee is a must as well. Been practicing making cowboy coffee lately. Stanley Master Series 1.4qt keeps it hot and long.

Last time I went camping, a buddy of mine pulled out a Svante Fredén oven. Works very well. He made the biscuits, I made the potatoes, sausage and gravy. :)
C
Have you watched Almazan Kitchen on YouTube. A forum member, Eli Chaps, directed me towards them. Check it out and be prepared to have your mind blown! I still cannot believe that he made hollandaise sauce over a fire. I love eggs Benedict and that video really impressed me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am
I should add that I'm looking forward to adding the Bow River and especially the Province Ankerson/Sanders Bowie to my kit ASAP :D
I don’t have a BK7 but I love my BK9. The BK2 is too stout for me. Anyway, if you like your BK7 you will likely LOVE the Province. I am so excited to get my hands on that knife!
-Darby
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm
@JD Spydo

I use cast iron every day. I am amazed at how well it retains heat, cooks evenly, easy to clean, etc. Obviously the weight being a factor, but its what I like to use at home, stovetop, bbq, and bring with me when going car camping.

Most of my cast iron is Lodge, but the older cast iron (Griswold and Wagner) are excellent. And some nice ones can still be found at the local swap meet.
The set that I have is "WAGNER" as you mentioned. It was a set that was given to my mom & dad for their wedding gift. It has survived that long and what's funny is back in the early 90s when it was given to me I offered to give it away and no one wanted it :eek: :rolleyes: But I guess that must of been the Good Lord looking out for me because now that I've learned to use it and maintain it I prefer it over just about anything,

Now I also have a set of the older/better USA made Revere Ware that I do the rest of my cooking with and I wouldn't trade it for anything either. It is most interesting how this older stuff comes back into vogue again. And to think that all of these poison peddling creeps who once tried to sell us on Teflon and other poisonous surfaces to cook with just makes me cringe now that I know the truth about that garbage.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:59 am
Calicoast wrote:
I have been trying to practice cooking over fire every chance I get. Just like sharpening up a knife, there is definitely a learning curve. My favorite cast iron piece is my Lodge SK20 lumberjack skillet. It's a heavy one, I keep at my parents cabin in Seligman, AZ. Not my pic, but this is what it looks like.

C
Have you watched Almazan Kitchen on YouTube. A forum member, Eli Chaps, directed me towards them. Check it out and be prepared to have your mind blown! I still cannot believe that he made hollandaise sauce over a fire. I love eggs Benedict and that video really impressed me.
No, but I appreciate the information.
I will definitely have to check that out.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am
Calicoast wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm
@JD Spydo

I use cast iron every day. I am amazed at how well it retains heat, cooks evenly, easy to clean, etc. Obviously the weight being a factor, but its what I like to use at home, stovetop, bbq, and bring with me when going car camping.

Most of my cast iron is Lodge, but the older cast iron (Griswold and Wagner) are excellent. And some nice ones can still be found at the local swap meet.
The set that I have is "WAGNER" as you mentioned. It was a set that was given to my mom & dad for their wedding gift. It has survived that long and what's funny is back in the early 90s when it was given to me I offered to give it away and no one wanted it :eek: :rolleyes: But I guess that must of been the Good Lord looking out for me because now that I've learned to use it and maintain it I prefer it over just about anything,

Now I also have a set of the older/better USA made Revere Ware that I do the rest of my cooking with and I wouldn't trade it for anything either. It is most interesting how this older stuff comes back into vogue again. And to think that all of these poison peddling creeps who once tried to sell us on Teflon and other poisonous surfaces to cook with just makes me cringe now that I know the truth about that garbage.
I like new, but I have an old soul.
You definitely had the good lord looking out for you on those Wagners.
The reason I start on low heat, and increase the heat slowly is because alot of these older cast iron pans can rock back and forth, spin, and not sit flat. But even with that being said, they are gems. They took more care during the manufacturing back then smoothing them out, compared to the newer lodge which takes awhile to smooth out.

The Revere Ware I collect as well.
You can still find them new in box for a little $$, but we'll worth the money.
My favorite piece being my 14 cup percolator / cowboy coffee machine that I leave at my parents cabin as well. They sure don't make em' like they used too.
C
Attachments
1534267041662397854687.jpg
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 pm

Well, I am now the proud owner of four Coleman two burner stoves that burn liquid fuel (so called "white gas" in some parts). So maybe I do have a thing for stoves.
Coleman makes some good stuff too. Especially the older ones made in Witchita, KS. I like to pick up pieces the year I was born. Last year I picked up a double burner, and two lanterns new in box (1977). Oiled up the leather pumps, and all of them fired right up, no problems.
Come on now...40yrs!? :)

Western knives were purchased by Coleman, early to mid 80's. Went down from there.
C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:06 am
Now I also have a ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Calicoast wrote:
I have been trying to practice cooking ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Lol.
That's pretty much what it looks like at times.

I made breakfast this morning, turned out well.
Day before that, not so much.
Only take pictures of the good ones. :)

Wasn't aware of the off topic forum, going to start a new thread over there if anyone wants to join in / contribute to this ongoing discussion.
C
Attachments
2018-08-14 19.23.52.jpg
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Calicoast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

Well, I am now the proud owner of four Coleman two burner stoves that burn liquid fuel (so called "white gas" in some parts). So maybe I do have a thing for stoves.
Coleman makes some good stuff too. Especially the older ones made in Witchita, KS. I like to pick up pieces the year I was born. Last year I picked up a double burner, and two lanterns new in box (1977). Oiled up the leather pumps, and all of them fired right up, no problems.

Western knives were purchased by Coleman, early to mid 80's. Went down from there.
C
Well, no doubt it sounds crazy. One I got at a yard sale over 20 years ago and used on a regular basis. I just overhauled it and it is as good as new. The other was the family stove from when I was a boy, sort of a sentimental thing. Works fine, but I don't use it much -- because: I discovered the 413G model. It showed up at an "estate sale store" here in town and they kept reducing the price until I bought it for $20 or so. But let me tell you, it is like the others on steroids. Hard to imagine I will go back to cooking with either of the other two. And I picked up another from a fellow on Craigs list just to have a spae 413G on hand. The tank is big enough that there is no reason to carry a can of gas along except for a week long trip or something. I only let you folks know that this is the model to look out for because you are good folks and all. Nobody wants the liquid fuel stoves it seems, they all want propane cylinders and to fill landfills with empty canisters I guess.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Without digging it out, I think that's the model I have (red tank) it's a good one. Have the stand for it too.
On the auction site, you can usually find these brand new, never opened for about $100.00 - 125.00.

Prefer to use white gas.
Works well in cold temps, etc.

I have (4) MSR stoves as well that I like to use.
(2) USMC XGK EX, with simmer plate
(white gas, diesel, jp8)

(2) Whisperlite Universal, white gas, isobutane, propane, (adapter required) and kerosene.

Thinking might need to sell some of my stoves for some more Spydercos. :)
C
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:25 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:

C
Well, no doubt it sounds crazy. One I got at a yard sale over 20 years ago and used on a regular basis. I just overhauled it and it is as good as new. The other was the family stove from when I was a boy, sort of a sentimental thing. Works fine, but I don't use it much -- because: I discovered the 413G model. It showed up at an "estate sale store" here in town and they kept reducing the price until I bought it for $20 or so. But let me tell you, it is like the others on steroids. Hard to imagine I will go back to cooking with either of the other two. And I picked up another from a fellow on Craigs list just to have a spae 413G on hand. The tank is big enough that there is no reason to carry a can of gas along except for a week long trip or something. I only let you folks know that this is the model to look out for because you are good folks and all. Nobody wants the liquid fuel stoves it seems, they all want propane cylinders and to fill landfills with empty canisters I guess.

Don’t you get the refillable butane cylinders? I had one of the Coleman dual burner gas stoves briefly. It was formidable, and I kind of wish I’d kept it, but the butane is so much easier to get hold of here than white gas, I would have rarely used it.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Usually if I bring my suitcase Coleman (413G) I will run the white gas as intended, which also powers my lanterns. I will also include a couple MSR whisperlites as additional side burners keeping it all white gas. Local true value has the (1) gallon Coleman cans, + I try and stock up when they email me their coupons.

Are you talking about the (16oz) propane bottles,
or the tall and skinny butane cannisters, or the short and stubby isobutane canisters?

If I am guessing right and talking about Coleman stoves, I think your talking about the green (16oz) propane cannisters. I will use those if I have them, but I usually bring my bulk propane adapter that I hook up to the (20lb/5gallon) when going car camping so I don't run out in the middle of a cook. The 413G, the bulk propane adapter won't work, white gas only. The newer coleman duel fuel stoves, the propane adapter works for that.

I have a bulk propane adapter hooked up to my Weber Gas Go Anywhere. It has been modified so it cranks out the heat, which they were known for not being the best compared to the charcoal go anywhere. Works well for fire bans.

The MSR Universals are nice because I will bring white gas, and depending on the length of the trip, if I run out I can usually find the 16oz propane cannisters, isobutane, or kerosene at the general stores which are usually limited with their supply.

White gas can go along way, and works well when the temp drops. Butane, Isobutane has their limitations when it comes to weather.

If anyone is looking for a good propane suitcase style stove, check out Partner stoves out of Idaho.
C
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

UPDATE:

I know alot of us camp, hike, etc. with our Spyderco's. So I have started a new thread over on the Off Topic forum called Grills + Stoves.

As well, JD Spydo opened up a new thread on Cast Iron.

Looking forward to discussing more on both threads.
Lots to talk about on these (3) subjects. :)
C