Scale shaping - tooling & methods

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Scale shaping - tooling & methods

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m looking to change up the scales on my BHQ M4 exclusive para3. I don’t love the “jade” scales so I’m stalking some OEM take-offs on epay, then I plan to round the edges/corners a bit. I was was pricing 1/8” roundover router bits when I realized I already have a piloted roundover bit in my Dremel kit. My only real concern with it is it’s not a ball bearing pilot, it’s just a polished steel pilot, and I don’t want to burn the edges of the scales. I might mask the edges with tape.

Has anyone used a piloted router bit with g10? I know the dust is bad news so I’ll have my shop vac rigged up to handle dust collection, dust mask and eye pro will be used.

What other tools have you used for shaping g10? I have a bench top belt sander with the disc on the side. I think the disc is fairly worthless, and I need a finer grit belt than what came on it.

Please share any of your work!

Dave
SpyderNut

Re: Scale shaping - tooling & methods

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Dave,

I think you should be okay using the piloted SS router bit as long as you go slowly and use medium RPMs. I’ve successfully “milled” slots into G-10 using a Dremel and a 1/8” router bit (running 10k to 15k RPMs). I’ve also used the stone sanding points (for chainsaw sharpening) and 1/4” sanding drums (120 grit) to shape/contour G-10 scales. They all work very nicely! Once you get things roughed in, you can fine-tune by using jeweler’s files and high grit sandpaper.

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal