Time Capsule Knife Gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which knife for my son?

Seki FRN line (Delica/DF/Endura)
4%
Salt FRN line (Atl/Pac/DF)
4%
Golden G10 (Manix/PM2/PM3)
21%
Sprint Run
35%
Forum Knife (PM2)
29%
Collaboration
2%
Other?
4%

Total votes: 48

tvenuto

Time Capsule Knife Gift

Post by tvenuto »

My son will be born in mid September. Being into quality bourbon and quality knives, I'm going to buy one of each this year, to stash away for him until he's ready. Please note that this is not a knife that I'll give him as a "first knife" or something like that. I'm looking for the gift that best captures the year he was born. If it's a Tatanka, then I'll just wait until he's ready to receive it. So, which Spyderco do you think would be a good "time capsule" gift? Why is that your suggestion?

*Of course, I know that the fact that I like these things is no guarantee that he will as well, but worst case I'll have these things to enjoy in the future.
The Deacon

Re: Time Capsule Knife Gift

Post by The Deacon »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 am
My son will be born in mid September. Being into quality bourbon and quality knives, I'm going to buy one of each this year, to stash away for him until he's ready. Please note that this is not a knife that I'll give him as a "first knife" or something like that. I'm looking for the gift that best captures the year he was born. If it's a Tatanka, then I'll just wait until he's ready to receive it. So, which Spyderco do you think would be a good "time capsule" gift? Why is that your suggestion?

*Of course, I know that the fact that I like these things is no guarantee that he will as well, but worst case I'll have these things to enjoy in the future.

I'd say that makes the 2018 Forum Knife the obvious choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I agree with Deacon. Congrats!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would think a Sprint Run like the REX45 Military or the Forum Knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This is not easy. In fact, I don’t presume to forecast what he will like, other than to believe, whatever it is he will value it because it will be from you and you will have put a lot of thought into it. When our son was in elementary school (we called it grade school way back when), his class went on a weekend trip to San Francisco to play the roles of young, new sailors in 1906 who had signed on to the C.A. Thayer, a schooner then and now a historical ship in San Francisco. I was one of the adults who went along too. From my Navy years I taught our group various knots and nautical exercises. It was all day, through the night, watches and all, and the next. It was an experience the kids won’t forget.

I got a length of 9-thread from the Thayer, tarred and all. Later, I fashioned a fob from it to a small folding lock blade. I kept this until he had finished his PhD work and was on the way to his internship at the VA in San Francisco, the Thayer's home. I gave it to him then.

Although it’s not a Spyderco, and not a state-of-the-art Knife, I know from the way he accepted it that it means a lot.

So, I’d say that whatever you choose, part of you will be in it too. Can’t go wrong with that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
benben

Post by benben »

I like Deacon’s suggestion on the 2018 Forum knife. Or do you have that special knife in your collection that means a lot to you? Like a discontinued model, or a collaboration, or a sprint run that we know we’ll probably never see again. When the time comes it’ll be pretty special to him knowing just how special it was to you!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think a sprint from his birth year would be way cool. Something unavailable except at collector pricing by the time you’re ready to give it to him. Maybe stash a couple choices, you both get one :D
A forum knife would be kinda perfect, except I strongly dislike this year’s design.

Now on to the more important question, what bourbon did you choose?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Normally my answer would be different, but the forum knife would have more sentiment.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Whatever sprint drops on, or closest to, his birthday. Your son might appreciate a knife with the same birthday(ish). :)
Last edited by Spydersense on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

IMHO:

It must be made in Golden, Colorado.
It could be Sprint Run because it would be unique (almost).
It could be Military because it's emblematical.

Military CPM-Rex45 Burnt Orange G-10

CPM-Rex45 - It's a tough steel like his father's will to has a son.
Burnt Orange G-10 - It's a warm color like а mother's love.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think the 2018 Forum Knife is a great idea.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:04 am
I think a sprint from his birth year would be way cool. Something unavailable except at collector pricing by the time you’re ready to give it to him. Maybe stash a couple choices, you both get one :D
A forum knife would be kinda perfect, except I strongly dislike this year’s design.

Now on to the more important question, what bourbon did you choose?
Yea as others have said, the forum knife is an obvious choice. However the forum is meaningful to me, but almost certainly won't be to him. Also this year's design is perhaps a bit flashy? Polarizing?

And the 2018 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, of course (not out yet but I have a line on a bottle).
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would think a sprint or exclusive. This is a major year of exclusives for Spyderco. Maybe the g10 Delica exclusive. The forum knife would be a good one too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I voted sprint run. Not a big fan of the way the forum knife looks :/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well TVenuto I voted "OTHER" because I've got an idea to get him off to a great start when he's old enough to responsibly handle his own pocket knives. I would get him a pair actually>> I was thinking about one of those ZDP-189 Delica models which I think would give him a great idea about how a really good steel would make a huge difference>> also I would add either a Harpy or TASMAN to it as well. Because I think that way he would really be set up to handle a lot of different cutting chores and it would give him a real head start in learning about a wider range of what EDC cutlery models could provide for him.

I certainly wouldn't start him off with a big unit like the C-36 Military or anything else in that size range. Now once he starts learning those smaller pocket knives you could later on give him a good fixed blade for hunting/fishing or backpacking if his interests grow in those areas. Great idea to think ahead.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I'd want to get him something from this year. Either the Forum model, or an exclusive or sprint from this year, or even a new model that was introduced this year. I realize that doesn't narrow things down much though =P
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My vote is for a Dragonfly, any would do really, though the V-toku2 Sprint is still coming, so it's a possibility. I figure, it's a perfect knife for a young user, size wise and safety wise (good control, safe lock, right size) and the Sprint would make it more special, as well as teaching good knife care habits, since it's got a HC edge.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I'm currently leaning toward the comp lock lil native in SE, which just came out this year. The "Upcoming/delivered" thread was very helpful to see what came out recently. Other thoughts are: full SE PM2, PM3, Backlock Manix, FRN Native. I know that none I've listed are sprints, but again the thought is to capture this moment in Spyderco's line-up, and in something like 15 years some of these production models will be no less rare or special than sprints. Also, many of the recent sprints are non-stainless steels, which isn't my preference.

I will, of course, update everyone when the knife is purchased.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

If it's going to be presented at the same time as the bourbon, the Drunken is the obvious choice.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am
If it's going to be presented at the same time as the bourbon, the Drunken is the obvious choice.
Haha probably not. I almost never mix knives and whiskey!

Jokes aside, I feel like one of Spyderco's strengths is in its ability to collaborate effectively all while keeping things "identifiably Spyderco." I'm open to a nice collaboration, but again a true-blue in-house design feels the most appropriate here.