A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZeroRange

Re: A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Post by ZeroRange »

Mstach07 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:26 am
Can you further explain the m4 staining under the dlc? Do you actually see this occurring?

Yeah I accidentally left some water on my DLC Para 3 from BHQ and it stained the steel just like if the coating wasn't there. I originally had oil on it but decided to clean it off because it made the translucent scales look weird.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZeroRange wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm
Mstach07 wrote:
Can you further explain the m4 staining under the dlc? Do you actually see this occurring?

Yeah I accidentally left some water on my DLC Para 3 from BHQ and it stained the steel just like if the coating wasn't there. I originally had oil on it but decided to clean it off because it made the translucent scales look weird.
So the stained parts of the blade make the dlc look different? Can you post some pics?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:36 pm
ZeroRange wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:46 pm
Mstach07 wrote:

So the stained parts of the blade make the dlc look different? Can you post some pics?

The DLC looks the same but you can see the stained metal. You can see where the water drops were. I'm currently out of town but I can post pics next Monday. Maxamet should stain a little easier than M4.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I guess I don’t understand :o

Are you talking about the edge where there is no DLC?

How can you see the meta through the DLC?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
Hi Archangel,

We're still working with it, but it's very difficult to work with and we're still trying to figure out the best ways to avoid various problems presented in production. We still have our regular production needs so while it is still in processing, it is not made in high volume.

sal
Thanks Sal. :)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I like the Rex 45 but it's not Maxamet, so I hope it's not a replacement for Maxamet, the Maxamet is alot less user friendly then the Rex45 and lot more difficult to work with but alot more horsepower at the edge with polish or toothy finishes. Hope to see more of it when it all gets worked out. Rex 45 is a nice detour though.
Thanks Sal
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am
I hope you guys manage to get some of this steel some day. It makes me really appreciate the Para 2 Maxamet I bought when they came out. And later the Maxamet Para 2 and Para 3 I bought from Spyderco (factory 2nds) for $60 a piece.
so did these seconds come from the "first responders" seconds sale they had in april i think? because I know at the last regular sale the gave one of those pm2's away as prize for first in line... If there were any at that sale i missed out.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

archangel wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am
If I’m not mistaken I think you can find the maxamet para3 but I haven’t really looked lately.

Show me, cause I don't think so...
Not sure about a Para 3 in Maxamet but Bento Box (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the full site address) has the Manix 2 LW in Maxamet right now. When I picked mine up, I went for their combo deal of a Para 3 in M390 and the Manix 2 in Maxamet. That deal is still available as well. They're both fantastic examples of their respective models...

Don't browse that site too long unless you bring some ibuprofen to ease the pain from the bruising your wallet will take ;)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I saw this thread some time ago, and was glad that Sal spoke up and confirmed what I might have guessed. Maxamet is just **** on equipment or something of the sort and presents major challenges in production. What I am impressed by was that Spyderco has not thrown in the towel on Maxamet. They just can't dedicate all their resources or take whatever the hit is to crank out those knives. No complaints from me and I hope they figure out how to make it happen somewhere down the road. Glad they take chances with exciting new materials.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Hmmm... I have just spotted a new offering of two available Para3s Maxamet at an eBay dealer with an otherwise good reputation. I say otherwise good because the price they ask is ridiculous. :eek:

What do you think of it? Is this a sign that the Para3 is about to return? Or just bought up stock they found somewhere?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

archangel wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:05 am
Hmmm... I have just spotted a new offering of two available Para3s Maxamet at an eBay dealer with an otherwise good reputation. I say otherwise good because the price they ask is ridiculous. :eek:

What do you think of it? Is this a sign that the Para3 is about to return? Or just bought up stock they found somewhere?
Unlikely. I bought a new Para 3 Maxamet about a month ago from a French online store. Around that time we same some Ebay dealer sell a dozen and a Dutch online shop had a couple too. These were all old production.
Just checked Ebay and it is the same Ebay seller. Except back than they were being sold for $185, not $306 like now. I don´t know where they get these from.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 am
Hi Archangel,

We're still working with it, but it's very difficult to work with and we're still trying to figure out the best ways to avoid various problems presented in production. We still have our regular production needs so while it is still in processing, it is not made in high volume.

sal

Would it be possible to get an update? Will there be batches of the G-10 models shipped to suppliers within the next let's say 3 months? In more than just homeopathic quantities?
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

It will be "revealed" at the proper time.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

:) Okay I'll shut up now. Thanks for the quick reply!
Michael
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh dear, another para 3 I’ll have to have!!! O.O
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I kind of went willy nilly on my knife purchases last year, so I'm keeping it to "Must haves" for now, lol. The Para 3 light weight and a Maxamet are definitely on that list :)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 pm
Hi Archangel,

It will be "revealed" at the proper time.

sal
Bombshell alert
archangel

Post by archangel »

So a few Maxamet PM2 found their way to a small number of shops, and some people already hailed the new king (or queen?) and asked that the memes can be put to rest.

I don't see that. Not yet. Not unless all of us can order their one or two, or maybe three pieces of either the Para 3 or PM2 at whichever shop they want. That would (at least for me) make this a production series product.

Or has there ever been any other "production model" that only quick actors could snatch 1 or 2 pieces of?
Michael
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oops, double post. :o
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:37 am

Or has there ever been any other "production model" that only quick actors could snatch 1 or 2 pieces of?
Sure, currently the Kapara seems hard to get. When the Para2 first came out they were hard to get for a couple of years, always selling out rather quickly. I remember being excited when I snagged a Digicam Para2. Same with the Yojimbo, it was in short supply for quite a while.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?