Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
MattM68
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby MattM68 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Recently I haven’t been buying as many knives as I have been in the past, but I fell in love with the M390 Para 3. The action is perfect, and I have no complaints. I loved it so much that I bought a S90V CF one from a reputable dealer. I love everything about it, besides one thing. The side to side play is ridiculous. The only way to get rid of it is to make my knife into a fixed blade essentially.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is it fixable on my own? I’ve adjusted every screw with no luck. I haven’t done any polishing or anything, as I don’t want to mess with anything if I don’t have to. I’d rather not send it to Spyderco, but I’ll do what I have to!

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby MichaelScott » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm

So, what else can you do? Keep messing with it or send it to the experts?
Still kicking cancer's butt one day at a time.
Current "collection": One-Eyed Jack, Reinhold Rhino

Micro Plot of the Week:
The Bible
Old Testament - Shape up, or ship out.
New Testament - Don't worry. Be happy.

http://amanandhiscancer.wordpress.com
http://michaeldouglasscott.com
http://theqfragments.com

User avatar
Calicoast
Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Calicoast » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:20 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm
So, what else can you do? Keep messing with it or send it to the experts?
+1. Side to side no bueno.
Time to send it in.
C

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 3169
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Sharp Guy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm

I assume the side-to-side play is when the knife is open and locked? If so, that's not normal. I agree with Michael, send it in
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

mgnmdngg
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby mgnmdngg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm

the length of your pivot barrel is probably off. none of my knives have blade play.

User avatar
MattM68
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby MattM68 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:23 pm

I’ve just had bad experiences sending in knives. I’ve done it twice for knives with up and down play, and they came back the exact same.

I was hoping maybe someone had to same problem, but had a solution. You guys have had some clever solutions to problems like this before!

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 18232
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Evil D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

If you search my posts I've done a lot of tinkering with compression locks. When the PM2 first came out it seemed like he side play was more of an issue (at least every one I've owned has had it). I still own one and to this day it just isn't as solid as my Yojimbo 2 or Sliverax pivots. I would either send it back to where you bought it or live with it because it's probably within tolerances and sending it back to Golden won't get you what you want.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

RickC27
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 am
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby RickC27 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Random question...when anybody determines if they have side to side play, do you try to wiggle the blade from the tip of the blade, or closer to the pivot around the thumb hole?
Last edited by RickC27 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently have 12 :spyder: 's in 10 different steels!

User avatar
MattM68
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby MattM68 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm
If you search my posts I've done a lot of tinkering with compression locks. When the PM2 first came out it seemed like he side play was more of an issue (at least every one I've owned has had it). I still own one and to this day it just isn't as solid as my Yojimbo 2 or Sliverax pivots. I would either send it back to where you bought it or live with it because it's probably within tolerances and sending it back to Golden won't get you what you want.
I guess I’ll live with it then. Since I’ve messed with the pivot and body screws, I won’t send it back to the dealer. It’s the worst play I’ve ever had from a Spyderco, so it’s disappointing. I still love the Para 3, so I’ll try some other sprints when they’re released.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 18232
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Evil D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm

MattM68 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm
If you search my posts I've done a lot of tinkering with compression locks. When the PM2 first came out it seemed like he side play was more of an issue (at least every one I've owned has had it). I still own one and to this day it just isn't as solid as my Yojimbo 2 or Sliverax pivots. I would either send it back to where you bought it or live with it because it's probably within tolerances and sending it back to Golden won't get you what you want.
I guess I’ll live with it then. Since I’ve messed with the pivot and body screws, I won’t send it back to the dealer. It’s the worst play I’ve ever had from a Spyderco, so it’s disappointing. I still love the Para 3, so I’ll try some other sprints when they’re released.

If it's really that bad maybe it does need to go back. If you're content with keeping it then if they send it back you're only out shipping cost.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
MattM68
Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby MattM68 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm
MattM68 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm
If you search my posts I've done a lot of tinkering with compression locks. When the PM2 first came out it seemed like he side play was more of an issue (at least every one I've owned has had it). I still own one and to this day it just isn't as solid as my Yojimbo 2 or Sliverax pivots. I would either send it back to where you bought it or live with it because it's probably within tolerances and sending it back to Golden won't get you what you want.
I guess I’ll live with it then. Since I’ve messed with the pivot and body screws, I won’t send it back to the dealer. It’s the worst play I’ve ever had from a Spyderco, so it’s disappointing. I still love the Para 3, so I’ll try some other sprints when they’re released.

If it's really that bad maybe it does need to go back. If you're content with keeping it then if they send it back you're only out shipping cost.
Yeah, I completely agree. Just making this post inspired me to tinker a little more. It seemed like the blades resistance increased when the blade was about half open. So I cranked down the body screw extra hard, and it’s more consistent now. The knife has a ways to go, but that helped a lot. I think the handle wasn’t pinching the blade flat enough.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 18232
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Evil D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:31 pm

MattM68 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah, I completely agree. Just making this post inspired me to tinker a little more. It seemed like the blades resistance increased when the blade was about half open. So I cranked down the body screw extra hard, and it’s more consistent now. The knife has a ways to go, but that helped a lot. I think the handle wasn’t pinching the blade flat enough.

Scales and liners being out of parallel are probably the biggest cause of blade play issues. I usually just loosen all the screws then follow a torque sequence snugging them back down.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Extra330SC
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Para 3 Action Inconsistency?

Postby Extra330SC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:40 pm

MattM68 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm
Recently I haven’t been buying as many knives as I have been in the past, but I fell in love with the M390 Para 3. The action is perfect, and I have no complaints. I loved it so much that I bought a S90V CF one from a reputable dealer. I love everything about it, besides one thing. The side to side play is ridiculous. The only way to get rid of it is to make my knife into a fixed blade essentially.

Anyone with a similar experience? Is it fixable on my own? I’ve adjusted every screw with no luck. I haven’t done any polishing or anything, as I don’t want to mess with anything if I don’t have to. I’d rather not send it to Spyderco, but I’ll do what I have to!
I'm not as experienced with the quality control and complete mechanical workings of spyderco knives as most of the other members of this great forum. But I do have 5 (6th in the mail) Para 3's that are ALMOST perfect
In operation to one another! I would definitely say what you are experiencing is a problem that needs to be addressed in one of the ways previously mentioned!

Hope everything works out

James


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bubbaknoxz, dj moonbat, hackzogan, i am travvy, jpm2, knivesandbooks, legOFwhat?, MichaelScott, Nice marmot, Spydergirl88, wazerhazar and 42 guests