Advice on next purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EVB

Advice on next purchase

Post by EVB »

I'm struggling on a decision on my next purchase/s. Money is a bit tight and I have a budget of about £100 a month [about $130] over the next few months.

I have a thing for ss and have the Delica 4 and Dragonfly in ss and am thinking of either the Cricket or the Equilibrium which come in at or around my price range over the next two months. I'd appreciate views of owners [past owners] of either or preferably both of these knives before making my mind up. Knowing me, I'll end up with both but not sure which to prioritise first, my usual supplier has both in stock but I'm not sure if one is harder to come by than the other?

or...

Should I just skip buying anything for a month [*shiver- a new knife free month!] and get a Paramilitary 2? My lack of which is causing a large whole in my life and which may prove more satisfying than the Cricket or Equilibrium or not, I just don't know!

The wise guidance of the forum would really be appreciated

Cheers
Eddie
MichaelScott

Re: Advice on next purchase

Post by MichaelScott »

Just get the iconic (it is that for good reason) Para Military 2. You can fret over the others later in life.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yep just get the PM2 save yourself the trouble.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Save some $ for a PM2, it's a knife everyone should own or try one time in their life.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2. If you watch the Blade Forums Exchange you might be able to save a few bucks. The standard version is about $130 brand new anyway, why skip a month?
Last edited by abbazaba on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Yup, get a PM2, just so you’ll know...that you made a great buy.

But, can locking blades be carried on the UK, or are you just collecting?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Get a PM2, but I recommend skipping the S30V model and getting something different. I had my PM2 S30V for 2 years and it was great, but it got a little boring to me (in steel and in color) so I am selling and trying something new. Just my 2 cents...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, skip the PM2 and get a Sliverax. All the cool kids are doing it :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
makro

Post by makro »

I agree with previous posts but if you are in UK and want UK legal: PITS Folder Blue Titanium C192TIBLP. Although, I am not sure what you can carry there today since I recall there was supposed to be some law changes. You get that from Lamnia.com with a nice discount currently and therefore a very decent total price in EU. It is also discontinued so now is the time to get it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

EVB wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am
I'm struggling on a decision on my next purchase/s. Money is a bit tight and I have a budget of about £100 a month [about $130] over the next few months.

I have a thing for ss and have the Delica 4 and Dragonfly in ss and am thinking of either the Cricket or the Equilibrium which come in at or around my price range over the next two months. I'd appreciate views of owners [past owners] of either or preferably both of these knives before making my mind up. Knowing me, I'll end up with both but not sure which to prioritise first, my usual supplier has both in stock but I'm not sure if one is harder to come by than the other?

or...

Should I just skip buying anything for a month [*shiver- a new knife free month!] and get a Paramilitary 2? My lack of which is causing a large whole in my life and which may prove more satisfying than the Cricket or Equilibrium or not, I just don't know!

The wise guidance of the forum would really be appreciated

Cheers
Eddie
Save the money you were going to spend on those and get a Caribbean leaf PE. You will thank me later.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Another vote for waiting for the PM2. My first was the Dragonfly 2, and I only bought the PM2 to "get it out of the way" of my other purchases, since I knew I'd eventually end up with it. Well, let me tell you, it squarely beats my DF2 *and* the Chaparral Lightweight and Native 5 Lightweight I bought after it. I have 14 other Spydercos on my wish list and I'm already thinking of skipping the next one so I can buy another PM2. It's that good!
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Get the PM2. I know nobody else is saying this, but this is really what you ought to do.

If you have only experienced the Seki City knives, you definitely need to see what the knives made in Golden are all about.
And among those, the PM2 is quite special. My all time favorite folder.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Get a para 2 man! It's worth it. Its one of those knives that everybody in the knife community must own.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
EVB

Post by EVB »

Cheers folks, It's gonna be a PM 2. I'm in England so it'll just be for the collection. I have around 50 legal carry options and the legislation changes due may make it harder to buy knives over the internet in the future, although hopefully it will still be possible. It doesn't look like it will affect legal carry purchases so I can always chase a PITS then. The Cricket etc can wait in line with all the others on the list.

I'll let you know which PM 2 I go for, that's gonna be a whole other ball park of a decision!

Cheers
Eddie