What to choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

What to choose?

Post by ZMW »

In waiting for the Rex45 PM2, I have gotten bored waiting and changed my mind 4-5 times. I realized it is time for me to try out a Military for the first time. I am selling my PM2 (I have a stretch and Pac Salt for that size folder/role). So, I put a Rex45 Millie on pre order and am exciting about it. But, the longer I wait, the more I keep looking around the more I keep changing.

I almost pulled the trigger on the KW CTS 204P which everyone loves. And then I saw a review of the KW S90V Millie - real carbon fiber and Tit framelock. For the price, it looks amazing. $18 more then Rex 45 but you get handle material and framelock.

For uses - I work in an office so a delica and Urban are my EDC's. Military will be weekend, camping, and mostly to just have a Military and to try a new steel. I do not own M4/Hap40 or s90v/s110v. (ZDP, K390, and PMA 11 are my only upgraded steels).

I am usually a plane old FRN tpye of guy. G10 is nice too. I had the peel ply carbon fiber tenacious and did not like it, but I assume real Carbon fiber feels better? But, I do not own any titanium/framelocks.

So, I am leaning towards the KW S90v just to have some 100% different then what I have now and the pricing is pretty solid for what you get.

Someone - please help me spend my money and finally make a darn decision!
Last edited by ZMW on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Re: What to choose?

Post by steelcity16 »

Track down a Cruwear on the secondary market!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Or if you can still snag a C-36 Military or Para 2 with M390 blade steel you won't be sorry I can assure you. I'm on the lookout myself for a Para 2 with an M390 blade to go with my C-36 Military that has an M390 blade that has totally won my heart over in the past 2 years.

Both models are great choices especially with one of the supersteels. I personally lost my love for S30V some time back. But thanks to the Great Spyder Factory they are providing these great models with newer/better blade steels and great handles to boot.

Also I wouldn't turn my nose up at the new Sprint Run Chinook model I just saw yesterday. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide on?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

After 873 different options of what to buy, I bought the KW S90V Military Carbon fiber/Titanium. The handle material and looks of that knife for $18 more then the Burnt orange G10 was too hard to pass on. I really wanted to try Rex 45, but S90V was on my list too. No more waiting on pre orders to fill, shipment should be on its way.

First Military/S90V/Framelock/and Carbon Fiber. By far the most expensive knife I have bought
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For the price that is a great value. All premium materials. Enjoy!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

Report back as soon as you can.

Peter
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:57 pm
After 873 different options of what to buy, I bought the KW S90V Military Carbon fiber/Titanium. The handle material and looks of that knife for $18 more then the Burnt orange G10 was too hard to pass on. I really wanted to try Rex 45, but S90V was on my list too. No more waiting on pre orders to fill, shipment should be on its way.

First Military/S90V/Framelock/and Carbon Fiber. By far the most expensive knife I have bought
Congratulations on your purchase. ..best value going for a large folding knife with premium materials. Beautiful too!

James
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Finally, the Military has arrived! Man, what an amazing folder. Quality and F&F for a production folder are top notch. Smooth action, and the S90V came with a very toothy edge. After reading some S90V sharpening posts about running a toothy edge, I get it now.

The size of the knife was not as intimidating as I thought. I have med hands, and the knife is not too big, but rather just perfect for a large folder. It carries great as well. IWB at 3' right now. But, for my office work it is larger then I need. So, it will be for weekends, camping, and when it gets cold enough to wear jeans (I live in Phoenix).

Like many people, now that I have a Military I have no idea why I waited so long to get one. Amazing knife! I am not sure how much I would like or dislike the liner lock version, but the framelock is stout. Maybe 50% lock up, seems about right to me.

I highly recommend this knife, amazing price:value ratio. Now, I need to play with S90v...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Glad to hear you like it! I think you bought the best Military to date! Well, that other KW model is pretty cool too :) Be careful, they multiply...