What are the chances of CPM REX45 making it to the Manix and Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

What are the chances of CPM REX45 making it to the Manix and Native?

Post by awa54 »

So, it seems like Golden CO made Sprint runs are often confined to the Millie, PM2 and now Para 3, with popular Sprint steels only getting play in the Manix and Native models as exclusives later on and then with different handle scale materials.

The thing is, I *really* like the pumpkin/persimmon/butterscotch color G10 that the REX45 Sprint run is made with, but want it in a G10 Manix 2 or linerless G10 Native 5 more than in a Para 3 or Millie (already snagged a PM2 in REX).

I'm hoping that Sal drops a casual bombshell on this thread! :D
Last edited by awa54 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
attila

Re: What are the chances of CPM REX45 making it to the Manix and Native?

Post by attila »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am
So, it seems like Golden CO made Sprint runs are often confined to the Millie, PM2 and now Para 3, with popular Sprint steels only getting play in the Manix and Native models as exclusives later on and then with different handle scale materials.

The thing is, I *really* like the pumpkin/persimmon color G10 that the REX45 Sprint run is made with, but want it in a G10 Manix 2 or linerless G10 Native 5 more than in a Para 3 or Millie (already snagged a PM2 in REX).

I'm hoping that Sal drops a casual bombshell on this thread! :D
I'm in the same boat as you in wanting some more of the color, and more REX 45 would be okay too.

I spoke with a SFO employee (two days ago) about their availability and expected future models, and she told me that there hasn't been any mention of using Rex 45 or this orange on any other models. She said that it looks as if only these most popular models (Military, PM2, and Para 3) are getting the treatment, and that it may have been a conscious decision of Spyderco to not do any other models.

I'm hoping that she just hasn't been informed about future models, and that Sal will give us some hope, but I'm not holding my breath yet.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a Rex45 Manix and Native. I'm just not a PM2 guy, but the Manix is my most common EDC and the Native is one of my go-to "restrictive jurisdiction" EDCs. The other model I'd love to see the steel sprints in is the UKPK.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I know the Millie is iconic and many of us here love it, but I often wonder if the Native and to a lesser extent the Manix might not do just as well as the Millie as far as sell-through in Sprint runs... after all the Military seems to be the last one still "on the shelf" when the dust settles after a Sprint frenzy. Not to mention the attractive price point on the G10 Manix.

Maybe we could beg for 600 piece runs of the M2 and N5, as a companion to the 1200 piece Military family runs.

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:49 am
I'd love to see a Rex45 Manix and Native. I'm just not a PM2 guy, but the Manix is my most common EDC and the Native is one of my go-to "restrictive jurisdiction" EDCs. The other model I'd love to see the steel sprints in is the UKPK.

I'm assuming that doing the LW knives and UKPK are an additional burden in that they need to work out a new color formulation for both the FRN and FRCP.
-David

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I definitely need a G10 Native and Native LW in Rex 45!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

+1 count me in for a Burnt Orange G10 Native? I may be getting greedy but can we have it with liners? :)
DrVenkman

Post by DrVenkman »

Or what about the Shaman? Think the steel name and materials would really match the shaman very well!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a G10 Native5 and a Shaman.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m a giant Shaman fan, and the idea of this knife in orange with Rex 45 steel really gets me excited. But if I had to chose one over the other I would wish for the G10 Native 5 version to be made. I’ve been waiting a while now to pick up the newest CQI linerless Native but have been waiting on a sprint. This would be perfect.

So Sal, linerless burnt orange g10 Rex 45 Native 5 sprint please!

My $00.02
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:23 pm
I’m a giant Shaman fan, and the idea of this knife in orange with Rex 45 steel really gets me excited. But if I had to chose one over the other I would wish for the G10 Native 5 version to be made. I’ve been waiting a while now to pick up the newest CQI linerless Native but have been waiting on a sprint. This would be perfect.

So Sal, linerless burnt orange g10 Rex 45 Native 5 sprint please!

My $00.02
Wait... there's a *giant* Shaman?? :D ;)
-David

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm
I would buy a G10 Native5 and a Shaman.

Shaman would be great as would a Lil Native. Im really hoping to see a round 2 of these with the Shaman, Native, Native LW, Manix Backlock, Manix XL, and Lil Native. If they did half of each run in DLC then even better. DLC would look awesome with the burnt orange!! :eek: Can we get them in time for Halloween??? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would buy a REX45 Native G10 just for the scales(if it had steel liners.)

I really love the color, so sad to have sold my PM2.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson