Poll: Lil Native LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy

Lil Native LW
37%
Lil Native LW Salt
37%
Not Interested
26%

Total votes: 46

steelcity16

Poll: Lil Native LW

Post by steelcity16 »

There seems to be a some interest in a LW FRN version of the Lil Native. I personally would love a few of them as my favorite models for summer EDC are the Native LW and DF2. A Salt version of this would be pretty cool as well.

Who else would be interested in this?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Re: Poll: Lil Native LW

Post by Mushroom »

The G10 model has become a favorite of mine. I'd definitely be interested in an FRN version, Salt or not.
-Nick :bug-red
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Love me some leaf blades! Ever been an exclusive of the lil' native?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Add the jimping back to the choil and I'm in.

I'm assuming we are talking about the back lock model for a salt? Have they ever made a compression lock liner that is rust proof?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m wondering. A LW implies that the scales be smaller and lighter, that the liners probably have to go and the blade stock considerably thinned. It doesn’t make much sense to keep the robust features in a design that is focused on light weight and lighter duties. The Lil’ Native seems like a little tank, able to handle much harder tasks than its overall size suggests.

A LW like that would certainly derive from the original design requirements but I think it would actually be a basically different knife. Interesting indeed.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I actually disagree Michael, they had none of these issues or major changes you mentioned in developing the Native 5 lightweight. I see no issue with FRN-izing the Lil Native (or is it FRCP-ing - see what I did there? ;)) and imagine it’d be easier to do the backlock version first. However as I’ve reported before, a FRN PM2 is in development (I held a prototype), so it looks like someone there is actively developing/translating the comp lock for lightweight Golden models. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am

I'm assuming we are talking about the back lock model for a salt? Have they ever made a compression lock liner that is rust proof?

I agree on the jimping and that it would likely need to be the backlock so they could do the Salt version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nice, a comp lock FRN/FRCP model. That would be something. I like back locks but after time with my Rhino I have come to prefer compression locks. I’m not against a LW Lil’ Native, just wondering about the design parameters.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A salt back lock version would be just dandy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 am
A salt back lock version would be just dandy.

Yep, this would be the one I would most like to see. It would be a great companion to the upcoming Native Salt. And then the possibilities are endless for future backlock LW versions. Id love a Cruwear Lil Native LW...and Cruwear Native LW for that matter.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Lil Native Salt

LC200N or Vanax and bright red scales with full rust proof liners (for the comp lock) and hardware.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

abbazaba wrote:

Yes, do add the jimping.

And yes, Spyderco has made a compression lock that is rust proof, the Caribbean. I believe the liners and the blade are LC200N and the hardware is some other rust proof or highly stainless metal.

If they can do it with G-10 scales, I can’t see why they would not be able to donit with FRN scales.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Can't believe I forgot about the Caribbean!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ejcr98 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:33 pm
abbazaba wrote:

Yes, do add the jimping.

And yes, Spyderco has made a compression lock that is rust proof, the Caribbean. I believe the liners and the blade are LC200N and the hardware is some other rust proof or highly stainless metal.

If they can do it with G-10 scales, I can’t see why they would not be able to donit with FRN scales.

Choil and spine jimping would be great. I hope they CQI this into the G10 Lil Natives soon as well.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

OK, you Lil’ Native owners, does it or a LW version need jimping? I am glad my Rhino doesn’t have that. I can see it on a larger knife, especially when one is doing harder work or wearing gloves but I should think it adds little and detracts from the overall feel of the Lil’ Native.

Team Innovation
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:32 am
OK, you Lil’ Native owners, does it or a LW version need jimping? I am glad my Rhino doesn’t have that. I can see it on a larger knife, especially when one is doing harder work or wearing gloves but I should think it adds little and detracts from the overall feel of the Lil’ Native.

Ill tell you in a few days when I get my first Lil Native, but I love the jimping on Dragonfly, which is even smaller. I disagree that jimping detracts from the feel of any model. Im all for texture. Peel ply G10 and CF, Bidirectional FRN texturing, jimping, etc. I love the way it feels, the feedback it gives, and the lower chance of a knife slipping is a good thing.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am
MichaelScott wrote:

Ill tell you in a few days when I get my first Lil Native, but I love the jimping on Dragonfly, which is even smaller. I disagree that jimping detracts from the feel of any model. Im all for texture. Peel ply G10 and CF, Bidirectional FRN texturing, jimping, etc. I love the way it feels, the feedback it gives, and the lower chance of a knife slipping is a good thing.
I don’t disagree about the DF and Delica having jimping. But after using my Rhino for some time I haven’t had the need for it and I like the overall feel of the knife in hand. It’s not a as small and thin as the DF which benefits from added traction because of its size. The Rhino also has superb ergonomics so that helps too. I just wonder if some folks think the LN “ought” to have jimping because that’s what they expect.

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still on the fence about the original but there are so few linerless G10 knives I'd probably still prefer that over FRN.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:41 am
I like back locks but after time with my Rhino I have come to prefer compression locks.
I knew you'd come around!

Comp or BL and I'm a happy camper.

LW compression Salt? Okay.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

MichaelScott wrote:
I believe the LW version and the regular version need jimping. I have the Lil’ Native (com lock version) and already cut myself a bit when my finger slipped off the finger choil.

A LW Salt version would be used in the water or wet conditions, so more reason to have jimping.

I don’t feel the jimping detracts from the feeling of the knife. I like the feeling and the additional traction it provides.