How to get a coarse edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

How to get a coarse edge?

Post by ZMW »

I have heard many times certain steels have better edge retention or perhaps people like the way they cut better with a coarse edge. S30v, s90v, usually steels with lots of V right?

I assume with a SM, that means finishing on brown rods and no fine/ultra fine/strops etc?

Can I still have a polished bevel at 30d and run the fine rods and strops on the primary bevel, and then just finish the microbevel at 40d with brown rods only?

Can you really tell the difference in the real world vs controlled lab tests?

Appreciate the help!
razorsharp

Re: How to get a coarse edge?

Post by razorsharp »

Brown rods leave a fantastic Coarse edge . I often polish my edges and run a coarse microbevel. I then get the aesthetics of a mirror edge and the cutting performance of a coarse edge :) Stropping the 600 grit edge will help you refine the teeth. Of you can do a couple of swipes per side with the UF rod after the brown rod.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZMW wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:54 pm
I have heard many times certain steels have better edge retention or perhaps people like the way they cut better with a coarse edge. S30v, s90v, usually steels with lots of V right?

I assume with a SM, that means finishing on brown rods and no fine/ultra fine/strops etc?

Can I still have a polished bevel at 30d and run the fine rods and strops on the primary bevel, and then just finish the microbevel at 40d with brown rods only?

Can you really tell the difference in the real world vs controlled lab tests?

Appreciate the help!
Best way is to try it out and see what you think. The biggest problem people have have is not being able to remove the burr at lower grit so they never know the taste of a high performance toothy edge.

Your edge should be hair popping sharp off the brown rods, the advantage of the toothy edge is that it has more "grab" and "bite" making contact with what your cutting and drawing the edge across it will take less force to cut with more teeth at the edge the if you had a Polished edge it will slip. The ability to cut straight down is reduced though compared to a Polished edge which will puch cut better at the cost of draw cutting.

You'll find endless arguments about what finish is best, alot of it has to do with Sharpening ability some can't make a solid toothy edge, some have problems making a crisp polished edge without rounding the Apex. The key is to find what you like. There are so many variables you just have to explore and see what your preference is.
I like a blend of polish and tooth. I want enough aggression to keep that draw cutting ease but with enough Polish to push cut without hanging up.
600 grit brown rods to burr, few passes on the white rods to clean up the Apex and a 1 um strop. That's one of my favs using a SM
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
supracor

Post by supracor »

I sharpen 10v and similars on #100 Al2O3 water sandpaper and sometimes on #240 & #400 Sigma II stones.
Some people believe that Corundum doesn't work on high Vanadium steels; I also believed in all this until I tried and I can say that for me it works fantastically.
Seeing is believing.