Meet the Expert | Phil Wilson

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Re: Meet the Expert | Phil Wilson

Post by Eli Chaps »

Excellent. Thank you.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Shawn and Phil. Thank you both. Another case of the more I know the more there is to know. awesome
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:56 am
Shawn and Phil. Thank you both. Another case of the more I know the more there is to know. awesome
Michael, I'd say that's what makes knives so amazing, the more you start to learn the more there IS to learn. That's the excitement of it, for most things I've done in life boredom set in when I felt I figured it it out, with knives the more I've learned it's always lead to bigger questions, I'd go to fill my cup with knowledge just to have it filled and need a bigger cup.

Still lots to learn, that's what I love about Phil too. He has been making knives for 25 years and still has a sense of curiosity, wonder and drive to learn and experience new steels, heat treatments, geometries, edges, abrasives.

I wish I could of shared more but I was just having a good time taking it all in myself as well.

I'm happy I was able to capture some of the nuisances and subtitles of Phils rope cut testing to compliment the finer details in Phil's article. It's a very important to knife culture, history and knife performace testing.

My fear was it would be lost to time in a decade or so with no video of some of the process for future generations to learn.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great video bro! Spending the day at Phil's shop must have been awesome! Really cool to see him testing both his and your blades side by side :D .

I wish I could have met with you while you were down this way. I just got back from a week the Sierra Nevada Mountains a couple days ago and I think you were in town while I was gone :( .

I thought Vanax performance in your video was exceptional for a rust-proof steel. That Rex121 performance made me want to order some Rex121 and get to work experimenting with it. :eek: Amazing!

Best regards,
CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.