I definitely DON'T need another Millie, but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dtoad

Re: I definitely DON'T need another Millie, but...

Post by dtoad »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am
Goes to show that outside Colorado, there’s probably more Spydercos in Oregon than any other state!! ;)

“partial CQI” fluted Ti with stepped pivot and S110V blade. :D
Giving credit, where credit is due, you have owned a couple, id say LOL.

I think those couple I bought from you were infected. You need to seek medical attention. :)

That fluted S110V is money!
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:30 am
Sorry to tell you, but I think you're stage 4 at this point ;)

LOL, HELP :)
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
At anytime I think I'm obsessive, I just go look at his (RS) IG feed. I still have hope LOL
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

dtoad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am
Love the old aggressive jimping as well. These make me happy....
I don't need another Military, that's why I have passed on models like the 204P (despite loving this steel in a P2) and the S110V (I have plenty of blades in this as well) but I couldn't resist the new REX model.

Also, my good friend dtoad speaks the truth, the older more aggressive jimping makes me very happy when I carry the models I own. Would love to see that come back. I wonder if it could be requested from a dealer when they order an exclusive from Spyderco?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

dtoad wrote:
awa54 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 pm
a) Ti fluted Plus: sexy titanium! Minus: "just" S30V, slightly heavier than G10, not certain yet if vendor has the CQI version, or older stock

b) KW Ti/CF exclusive Plus: titanium *and* CF!, S90V Minus: ??

c) REX45 Sprint Plus: M4-ish blade steel, great color G10 Minus: not stainless

d) S110V Millie Plus: S110V, awesome "blurple" G10 Minus: ??
Of your list, my vote would be the KW Ti/CF Exclusive. (great value, for that dropped price)
Evil D wrote: I would be very interested in LC200N, H1, Maxamet..
Love the way you think, me too!!!
brj wrote: Having a couple* unneeded Millies myself, 'couple' might be an understatement :)
BRJ, me as well its a known illness :)

My stash:

:eek:
Is this my future? ??

James
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

dtoad wrote:

My stash:

I would have loved to see either of these in The Calendar. Seriously great collection and photos!!
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

You cannot go wrong with the KW cf/ti model or the flutes ti.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Alright, *both* a KW exclusive and a CQI fluted ti Military are now in my collection and I have to say that they each have their own attraction, as does the "plain" G10 version...

It's so difficult to practice restraint and only buy knives you really *need* when Spyderco makes so many excellent variants of their popular models. At least they have real-world utility, unlike so many other things people collect.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 pm
Alright, *both* a KW exclusive and a CQI fluted ti Military are now in my collection and I have to say that they each have their own attraction, as does the "plain" G10 version...

It's so difficult to practice restraint and only buy knives you really *need* when Spyderco makes so many excellent variants of their popular models. At least they have real-world utility, unlike so many other things people collect.
Congratulations on your new acquisitions! What do you think of the millie framelock compared to the G10 liner lock?

James
awa54

Post by awa54 »

They're both very confidence inspiring, I like the solid look and feel of the frame lock, but also the finer serrations and slightly better protection from release on the liner lock... I'll take either without any qualms. As far as people who are concerned with the reliability of frame/liner locks, I just can't see it with these knives, a situation where the Millie would unlock without cause seems unlikely without excessive force or outright misuse. ...and YES, I consider spine whacks, overstrikes and batonning a folder to be misuse.
-David

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good move.

William Morris famously said “Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”

The fluted Ti Military is both useful & beautiful.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really don't care for the added weight of titanium, but the fluted version has tempted me on many occasions. At least it adds a level of grip traction and possibly lightens it up a tad.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

No thanks for ever having to make a decision on which Millie to carry for the day. That is an insane collection, never seen anything like it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Man, awesome collections guys! :eek: I really like the Millie, but I am a desk jockey so I dont get to carry it much. BUT...I am hoping to see a Millie in 3V, 4V, and Maxamet in the near future. I definitely would grab a BHQ Jade if they do a run with DLC. Same thing if Knifeworks did a Grey G10/DLC 52100. I am buying the Rex45 as soon as it drops. And I REAALLY hope some dealer does a Cruwear exclusive in some good G10/DLC combo with the updated CQI improvements since my current Cruwear is pre-CQI. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm
Man, awesome collections guys! :eek: I really like the Millie. I am hoping to see a Millie in 3V, 4V, and Maxamet in the near future. I definitely would grab a BHQ Jade if they do a run with DLC. Same thing if Knifeworks did a Grey G10/DLC 52100. I am buying the Rex45 as soon as it drops. And I REAALLY hope some dealer does a Cruwear exclusive in some good G10/DLC combo with the updated CQI improvements since my current Cruwear is pre-CQI.

I was pretty bummed that I missed the CruWear Millie, but after seeing Deadboxhero's abuse tests of REX45 I'm guessing it could fill that toughness plus fine edge niche pretty well. If the REX Millitary drags its feet getting here, or stays on the shelves for a while I'll try to grab one, but for now I'm way over spent on knives!
-David

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When I first started on this Forum all the way back in Sept of 2004 it wasn't long after that I launched a thread entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill" :cool: and I was thinking today I should launch one called "Now's The Time: For A New C-36 Military Model">> because just like Hawkbill blades that I dearly adore I also have an intense love for the C-36 Military model especially with a newer/better SuperSteel blade which Spyderco has blessed many of us with.

With my present EDC being an M390 Military it's going to have to be a real barn burner for me to want to retire my M390 unit but I got a feeling that it's coming soon. I'm now wondering whether or not it's going to be a USA blade steel or another Bohler Udderholm blade. At this point I really don't care>> let the best steel company win fair and square :cool: And there just isn't a better knife to try a new blade steel on than a C-36 Military>> OK the Para 2 comes in a close second I'll admit. But most of my cutting benefits from a bigger blade like the MILLIE.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 pm
Man, awesome collections guys! :eek: I really like the Millie. I am hoping to see a Millie in 3V, 4V, and Maxamet in the near future. I definitely would grab a BHQ Jade if they do a run with DLC. Same thing if Knifeworks did a Grey G10/DLC 52100. I am buying the Rex45 as soon as it drops. And I REAALLY hope some dealer does a Cruwear exclusive in some good G10/DLC combo with the updated CQI improvements since my current Cruwear is pre-CQI.

I was pretty bummed that I missed the CruWear Millie, but after seeing Deadboxhero's abuse tests of REX45 I'm guessing it could fill that toughness plus fine edge niche pretty well. If the REX Millitary drags its feet getting here, or stays on the shelves for a while I'll try to grab one, but for now I'm way over spent on knives!
I've been happy with my two militaries (fluted titanium and KW TI/CF) and wasn't planning on getting any more. But the 204P green is calling me after watching MCs video and now I'm thinking Rex 45 also. I could have bought a new downhill bike or YZ450F with all these blades I'm getting. ...been really fun though!!

James
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yeah, well I just took the clue from this thread and got me another one. Picked up the Knifeworks CF/Ti fancy pants millie. Such a pretty knife, and I have to admit it just has a good feel in my hand. It may be what one of the other threads was saying about not liking it at first and then it becoming a favorite. It showed up and I was saying, no no! This thing is way too stiff. I almost can't open it with my thumb the detent is so strong! I pulled out my (up to just now) one and only Millie, the green CTS 204p and it just flies open -- just how I like it!

An aside here -- I am starting to develop a dislike for RIL knives. This isn't the first that has annoyed me with a super stiff detent that resists opening. It is like a congenital defect of the design.

But I think the CF/Ti Millie is starting to break in (or my thumb is getting stronger). I am half tempted to take it apart and just gently relieve the edge of the hole the detent ball drops into -- but I am not going to rush into that. I have learned that sometimes knives that are really stiff become just perfect once they are given a chance to break in.

And YES, I am hoping to score a Rex-45 Millie when they come along. I feel very fortunate to have a Rex45 PM2 and am ready for more of that.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 pm
Yeah, well I just took the clue from this thread and got me another one. Picked up the Knifeworks CF/Ti fancy pants millie. Such a pretty knife, and I have to admit it just has a good feel in my hand. It may be what one of the other threads was saying about not liking it at first and then it becoming a favorite. It showed up and I was saying, no no! This thing is way too stiff. I almost can't open it with my thumb the detent is so strong! I pulled out my (up to just now) one and only Millie, the green CTS 204p and it just flies open -- just how I like it!

An aside here -- I am starting to develop a dislike for RIL knives. This isn't the first that has annoyed me with a super stiff detent that resists opening. It is like a congenital defect of the design.

But I think the CF/Ti Millie is starting to break in (or my thumb is getting stronger). I am half tempted to take it apart and just gently relieve the edge of the hole the detent ball drops into -- but I am not going to rush into that. I have learned that sometimes knives that are really stiff become just perfect once they are given a chance to break in.

And YES, I am hoping to score a Rex-45 Millie when they come along. I feel very fortunate to have a Rex45 PM2 and am ready for more of that.
My KW CF/TI is exactly as you describe! 50% stiffer detent then the perfect action on the Fluted titanium version. I haven't taken it apart to check if everything is in alignment (looks good from outside ) and the pivot is set perfectly. No blade play in any direction as it came NIB and if I loosen the pivot by the slightest margin. ..It barely gets some side to side. I'm hoping it softens up with use....beautiful knife though.

James
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Extra330SC wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 pm
Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:21 pm

My KW CF/TI is exactly as you describe! 50% stiffer detent then the perfect action on the Fluted titanium version. I haven't taken it apart to check if everything is in alignment (looks good from outside ) and the pivot is set perfectly. No blade play in any direction as it came NIB and if I loosen the pivot by the slightest margin. ..It barely gets some side to side. I'm hoping it softens up with use....beautiful knife though.

James

Yep, same on mine! It also has a bit of a scrape/vibration as the blade swings out, I opened mine up to make sure all was clean and to polish the blade where the detent ball travels, only to find that Spyderco had already done so. I applied a small amount of moly grease and carefully reassembled, the result is a bit smoother, though still slightly stiffer than the Ti fluted and much stiffer than the KW 204P Millie.

It may not flick open as well as the other two, but I have no complaints... It's a great looking and incredibly functional knife!
-David

Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I really like the way this long deep carry clip from mxg matches the finish and it goes into pocket well.

Just all around a phenomenal knife and I much prefer the R.I.L. to the liner lock on my 204p millie.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam