Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderScout

Re: Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Post by SpyderScout »

lunde wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:43 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 am
Years ago I didnt understand why the PM2 was the 'go to' knife for so many people (even though I had a bunch of other Spyderco knives) and didnt much care for the way it looked ... then I got one and it was like an epiphany :)

I totally get it and now its one of my most often used Spyderco knives. I even think it looks great now. A good user knife tends to have that effect IMO.

Ive been absorbed into the PM2 collective, resistance is futile.

When ever it happens to someone else, I go 'One of us, one of us ... ' :D
What you wrote above mirrors my own experience, in terms of my introduction to the PM2, and also explains why I now have 40 of them.
I believe you when you say, you dont dislike them anymore :D
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:47 am
"Keep it up, and this Paw Patrol doll will be you!"
IMG_20161128_193201_1480379569744001_1533732033152.jpeg
Gotta love him proudly waggin' his tail :)
That just makes the pic.
Tony:
"I did this!"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am
RickC27 wrote:
That just makes the pic.
Tony:
"I did this!"
That's one of my favorite pics of him! We go to the Rescue Mission and buy him "babies" that he loves to tear the stuffing out of. Get him 3-4 at a time and spend like $5. So our daughter failed to remember that he thinks any stuffed animal is his...to which the one in this picture was not his. So he's all proud of himself for killing that baby, and she's in the background on the couch crying. This all happened in the span of 15 minutes when we went on a bike ride! Poor kid...but you gotta love dogs, plus he has the goofiest face it's impossible to stay mad at him :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Supacede,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Supacede wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:02 pm
As a teen in the mid nineties the original micarta calypso jr. caught my eye in a knife magazine, most likely tactical knives. There was something about those lines, both opened and closed, that I could never get out of my head. Years later, when I could finally afford a G-10 VG-10 PE Caly 3, it forever changed how I looked at a folding knife.

After years of repeated and varied use I now know what my eyes immediately realized years ago- one of the most iconic spyderco designs is, arguably, the most intuitive and fluid pocket knives ever designed. And one of the most beautiful.
I think you nailed it. The Caly3 kicked some fine knives out of my pocket. Perhaps we will see more of this model?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The Caly is a beaut and I like mine a lot. Indeed a very good looking knife.

YMMV but IMO amongst the best looking knives - open and closed - you find The Dragonfly.

I have bigger Spyderco folders but use the ZDP189 all the time. Its just so compact and nifty.

Walk in the woods with a stop for peeling an apple - DF.
Opening packages containing more Spyderco kniives - DF
Working on a motorbike and needing something to cut zipties - DF.
I like the Dragonfly out of all proportions to its size.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am
RickC27 wrote:
That just makes the pic.
Tony:
"I did this!"
That's one of my favorite pics of him! We go to the Rescue Mission and buy him "babies" that he loves to tear the stuffing out of. Get him 3-4 at a time and spend like $5. So our daughter failed to remember that he thinks any stuffed animal is his...to which the one in this picture was not his. So he's all proud of himself for killing that baby, and she's in the background on the couch crying. This all happened in the span of 15 minutes when we went on a bike ride! Poor kid...but you gotta love dogs, plus he has the goofiest face it's impossible to stay mad at him :)
I imagine its tough staying mad at him for long. Those lower teeth :D
That pic just says 'Sorry is not in my DNA!'

Here is Tikka on alert in the hammock. I was reading F.B. Russel in the woods and all was quiet, when I spotted a deer comming in for a closer look at the intruders.
As per usual, the deer suddenly started issuing warnings to its fellow deer.
As it initially came close, the deer cussing us out caused Tikka to go from slumber to full protective mode like a Tesla being floored. Luckily, I had her on a leash.
She does obey my commands but the deer close up was quite the provocation.'
The deer sauntered off and took up position a little ways off. It continued to quite vocally lament our prescence.
The pics were taken after Tikka calmed down a bit and with the deer still glaring at us from a distance.
Tikka still miffed, that she wasnt allowed to continue barking furiously at the big four legged odd sounding thingy.
The deer can actually be seen in the middle of the last pic on extreme zoom but it would be like finding a blurry brown Waldo, as the pic is taken from afar with the phone.
Last edited by SpyderScout on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Enjoy the looks of a pretty woman, but don't assume she'll do anything useful based on her looks.

Marry the woman who complements you regardless of looks and you'll soon stop caring about physical looks and care far more about how she fits perfectly into your life. And soon after that you'll find that whatever flaws you initially thought were there are actually endearing qualities and quite possibly what makes her such a good fit in your life. Once you reach that point you'll appreciate those aspects about her and find them attractive and you'll wonder why you put such high importance on looks alone and that you were really kind of petty and feel bad for others who haven't become wise to the difference between looks and function.

Doesn't mean you can't still appreciate physical beauty, only that it is far less important than you once thought.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

When we went to the SPCA to rescue a dog as our first, she saw him and instantly fell in love with that underbite. He's an odd mix, he's a Pug/Jack Russell mix. Which really, is a pretty great dog. He's full of energy and a lot of fun to play with (Jack Russell) but he's also the most lazy and cuddly dog when you want him to be (Pug) And to one more pic, so you can get the full effect of his "teefies" as his momma calls them. She also calls him her "handsome man" and "beautiful boy" He looks like this all the time, he's just ridiculous Hahahaha...
part0_10001_1533758208707.jpg
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Enjoy the looks of a pretty woman, but don't assume she'll do anything useful based on her looks.

Marry the woman who complements you regardless of looks and you'll soon stop caring about physical looks and care far more about how she fits perfectly into your life. And soon after that you'll find that whatever flaws you initially thought were there are actually endearing qualities and quite possibly what makes her such a good fit in your life. Once you reach that point you'll appreciate those aspects about her and find them attractive and you'll wonder why you put such high importance on looks alone and that you were really kind of petty and feel bad for others who haven't become wise to the difference between looks and function.

Doesn't mean you can't still appreciate physical beauty, only that it is far less important than you once thought.
Now this should turn into a wedding pictures thread haha. OP will come back and see we're all a bunch of crazies and will be upset that we turned his attempted trolling thread into greatness :p
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is Rita, aka the bearfacedkiller. She was a Rott/Pit mix. Her nickname became my username. Sadly she has been gone for a few years now but she will always be with me and I think of her every time I log in. I love dogs!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Spydersense wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am

Happy Birthday Spooky Boy Crazy Cat! From Lily the super dog.
Your're very kind Miss Lily the super dog and very pretty too I may add. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 am
This is Spooky Boy Crazy Cat and he’s six years old today. :)
A fine looking cat you have there Alex. This is "Hunter S. Kitty, Destroyer of House Plants, Killer of Birds" :D I call him Hunter for short.
Image He'll be 9 in October. He was abandoned along with three other kittens. They wandered into my house through an open door one night, they'd have been coyote food if I left them out, so I let them stay inside and fed them. When the other kittens went straight for the food this little fella went straight for me and started rubbing his face on my leg and purring. I really wasn't looking for a pet, but this cat had my number. I found the other 3 new homes and kept him for myself.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 am
This is Spooky Boy Crazy Cat and he’s six years old today. :)
A fine looking cat you have there Alex. This is "Hunter S. Kitty, Destroyer of House Plants, Killer of Birds" :D I call him Hunter for short.
Image He'll be 9 in October. He was abandoned along with three other kittens. They wandered into my house through an open door one night, they'd have been coyote food if I left them out, so I let them stay inside and fed them. When the other kittens went straight for the food this little fella went straight for me and started rubbing his face on my leg and purring. I really wasn't looking for a pet, but this cat had my number. I found the other 3 new homes and kept him for myself.
Wow, Hunter is a very handsome boy indeed Matt. :cool:

It’s funny how animals seem to find us. Spook was a gift from my daughter and her husband. They were staying with us when they first married and saving for a home and I mentioned it would be nice to have a puppy or kitten and how it was impossible with both beloved wife and I working.

A couple of week later I came home to find the smallest little kitten I’d ever seen. From the beginning he seemed to gravitate towards me and the rest is history. He’s never once caused any mischief in the house and he’s very popular with all our neighbours.

Rats are the main prey he brings home plus the odd pigeon and Indian Myna (an introduced pest bird). I’ve never known him to kill a native bird. I think they’re probably a bit too smart for him and it’s quite funny to see the local Currawongs (a native bird) harassing him. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sydney says any more trolling from the OP and she will show their ankles what the business end of this scowl feels like.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Sydney says any more trolling from the OP and she will show their ankles what the business end of this scowl feels like.

Awww, man, I love Dauchshunds! We miss ours every day. Toughest **** dogs on the planet.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My grandfather had two dachshunds, Hanzie and Gretel. He later rescued a dachshund mix. Great dogs!

Great pet pics everyone!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

lamxuyen wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 am
I just cant get over how gross it looks, I hate how much wider it is and how its shaped with the hole in it. Am I the only one?
Disliked the appearance at first, but love it now... except when the knives aren’t designed/finished well. Some knives have overly sharp holes or exposed tangs or something that stands out. A wide blade that is super easy to open is a good thing imo now.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:06 pm
It’s funny how animals seem to find us. ...

Rats are the main prey he brings home plus the odd pigeon and Indian Myna (an introduced pest bird)....
Yes it is.

One of the great benefits to having a cat, a rodent free house. Bird free house too :D We had a bird fly down our chimney and get stuck in the fire place. My little killer (he's not that little actually, he's 20lbs) happily used his paws to open the glass door to the fire place and let the bird into the house... where he then proceeded to murder the poor thing. When I came home it was like CSI in my living room, paw prints and ash from the fireplace everywhere, claw marks on the wall and feathers stuck to the curtains, and one very dead bird behind the sofa.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:16 pm
Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:06 pm
It’s funny how animals seem to find us. ...

Rats are the main prey he brings home plus the odd pigeon and Indian Myna (an introduced pest bird)....
Yes it is.

One of the great benefits to having a cat, a rodent free house. Bird free house too :D We had a bird fly down our chimney and get stuck in the fire place. My little killer (he's not that little actually, he's 20lbs) happily used his paws to open the glass door to the fire place and let the bird into the house... where he then proceeded to murder the poor thing. When I came home it was like CSI in my living room, paw prints and ash from the fireplace everywhere, claw marks on the wall and feathers stuck to the curtains, and one very dead bird behind the sofa.
Ah, hahaha! :)

They’re funny buggers. A couple of months ago Spook snuck into the house with a not so dead rat when I wasn’t home. Beloved wife tried to chase him and the rat out without success. Ah, hahaha! I wish I’d have been a fly on the wall for that one. :D

Anyhow, when I got home I was greeted by irate wife and a half eaten rat under the kitchen table.

When ever beloved wife talks of him to me he’s referred to as “Your Pet”. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes: