Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: Does anybody else really dislike the look of spyderco knives?

Post by Crux »

Oh heck YES!!!!

I've never met one of those lost souls but I know they are out there. Like unicorns or the REX 45 Para 3. Let's not even start on the s35vn Para 3 since the Paramilitary 2 versions are already shipping. Is this a blatant attack on those with smaller hands but bigger blades? Resolve THAT conundrum will Ye?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 pm
When ever beloved wife talks of him to me he’s referred to as “Your Pet”. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
Haaha :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Sydney says any more trolling from the OP and she will show their ankles what the business end of this scowl feels like.

1000 yard stare :D
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm
one more pic, so you can get the full effect of his "teefies" as his momma calls them. She also calls him her "handsome man" and "beautiful boy" He looks like this all the time, he's just ridiculous Hahahaha...

part0_10001_1533758208707.jpg

Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I'm pretty proud of my babe, if she's ugly than I must have bad taste.
Attachments
20180703_202755.jpg
Johndee

Post by Johndee »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am
xceptnl wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm
Sydney says any more trolling from the OP and she will show their ankles what the business end of this scowl feels like.

1000 yard stare :D
Looking for a touchdown .:)
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Such a cute dog!

Assuming the op was serious (and not poking fun) I have to agree.... for years I thought they were both cool, and ugly.
Then I tried one. Been hooked ever since. Esp. as I injured one hand and had to learn how to use a knife with the other... the spydeyhole is the easiest type of opening for me to use, outside of flippers or assisted opening knives.

For me once I realized how they worked, the odd aesthetic became palatable because I saw it's purpose.
I still like the look of traditional pocket knives but the Spyderco look is definitely no longer "ugly" to me.
Innovation often looks weird. People thought the stealth bomber was weird looking, too.

Try one. You may still think they look odd, but you'll at least appreciate the reason they look as they do.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
blues

Post by blues »

"Right, move along, nuffin' to see 'ere!
- Retired from the chase -
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm amazed at how many people ask me "what's the hole for?" Some like it, some think it makes the knife look incomplete or weird.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

What breed is the fine policeman? It's hard to tell the color, but maybe a Vizsla or Weimaraner? He is a great looking dog.
blues

Post by blues »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm
What breed is the fine policeman? It's hard to tell the color, but maybe a Vizsla or Weimaraner? He is a great looking dog.
That's my late best friend, Smoky. He was a Weimaraner rescue. Gone five years now but never a day goes by without remembering him.

Our new gal, Skyler, also a rescue, is a Boxer / Staffie mix. She likes Spydercos too! She's a little bummed though because it's another week until hockey season starts!

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

She looks great too, but she needs a bigger hat!
blues

Post by blues »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:52 pm
She looks great too, but she needs a bigger hat!
Nah, it's the right size. She just likes to think she's gangsta. You should see how she wears her pants. :p
vivi

Post by vivi »

lamxuyen wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 am
I just cant get over how gross it looks, I hate how much wider it is and how its shaped with the hole in it. Am I the only one?
No, you're not the only one. Plenty of other people feel this way, and in fact some companies used to play on these feelings in their ads. Old Cold Steel Voyager ads mentioned how the knives have "no unsightly holes or humps" and have a more streamlined appearance.

Personally I value function over fashion, and I've yet to find any other opening method as functional as the spyderhole. Waves are up there, but it's easier to draw a knife without opening it on non-waved models, which is something I do from time to time.

Current trends in folders show people really value a clean, streamlined look. People obsess over the latest Ti flippers with no visible holes or thumbstuds.

I don't see the big deal myself. My pocket aren't so narrow that I can't afford for my knife to be 1/2" wider to accomodate what I view at the best opening method.

If it's an issue if the knife taking up too much space in your front pocket and getting in the way when you reach your hand in there for other things, try a different carry location. Clip it to your waistband or cargo pocket or cell phone pocket or read pocket. Get creative. I don't know why everyone eants to put all of their EDC gear in two pockets when most pants have five, if not more, plus a 30"+ long waistband witb plenty of places to clip gear.

My knives are for work, not for show. Spydercos work.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

blues wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 pm
cabfrank wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm
That's my late best friend, Smoky. He was a Weimaraner rescue. Gone five years now but never a day goes by without remembering him.

Our new gal, Skyler, also a rescue, is a Boxer / Staffie mix. She likes Spydercos too! She's a little bummed though because it's another week until hockey season starts!

Your pupper Skyler and I would get along just fine! I love NHL hockey and Spyderco knives just fine.

As far as Spyderco knives being ugly, my biggest gripe is not having a Custom Shop where I can order at will these "ugly lil buggers" that I keep missing out on Sprint Runs. Bahahahahahaha..... I don't so much care abt them being pretty or ugly, because there are trade-offs in the design of everything humans have touched, but the steel is UNREAL!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
blues

Post by blues »

@Naperville. You are obviously an individual with excellent taste. :cool:
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

My first spyderco was a delica. Came out of the box like this. Just horrible, what a disappointment.

Polished it up a bit and now it looks like this. Still ungodly to look at but it works I guess.

megawatt

Post by megawatt »

lamxuyen wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 am
I just cant get over how gross it looks, I hate how much wider it is and how its shaped with the hole in it. Am I the only one?
This reminds me of a post on akfiles.com by akpete. Post was made in 2006 titled “I guess I’m being snubbed on this forum”. It is up to 499k views and gets replied to daily as a snub to him. It is still on the first page everyday.

Here is your troll snub lamxuyen.

SNUB!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

blues wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm
@Naperville. You are obviously an individual with excellent taste. :cool:
Thanks!!! :D

Watched abt 10 minutes of the Blackhawks tonight. I'm not much of a homer.... and it bugs me when they screw up. They were winning 2 zip over the CBJ last I saw. I just like to watch good NHL hockey, and if they miss the playoffs again this year, I'll just be watching other teams. It's all about the teams and the best players, not scrubs.

Heck if people like to watch scrubs, sign me! :cool:
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 pm
I just like to watch ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin