Interesting edge observation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Interesting edge observation

Post by MichaelScott »

I was hanging out with my newly returned Delica and the Rhino when I “saw” this. It’s always been this but I hadn’t paid much attention.

Comparative sizes.

Edge to edge

Close view.

To me, it appears that both have the same amount of cutting edge, but the Rhino serves that up in a smaller overall package with ergonomics different from but equal to the Delica. (That last is definitely a matter of preference, as it should be.)

Not a big deal, just another way of looking at and relating to our Spydercos.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Re: Interesting edge observation

Post by The Meat man »

That is interesting. I wonder, does the Rhino actually have a longer cutting edge due to the blade sweep? Almost looks like it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That is certainly possible. Would be pretty small I’d guess.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Imagine if they made one with the same blade:handle ratio, but the size of the delica. I'd own multiple.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm
That is interesting. I wonder, does the Rhino actually have a longer cutting edge due to the blade sweep? Almost looks like it.
Going by the photo's you'd have to assume it does. At least that's what I'm thinking. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a very efficient design, there's little wasted space.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's really interesting Michael :) One observation I would like to add that sort of correlates with what your saying are other designs which benefit from having significantly more belly. Consider this>> most high quality, fixed blade "skinner" knives I've seen over the years most all of them in that category have a lot of belly to them.

I'm really impressed with that Rhino and I've added it to my "want list". It really reminds me of the "Rhino" bladed Lil Temperance of days gone by. Which was always my favorite variant of all the Lil T models. However one thing that always baffled me is why it was the only Lil T you couldn't get in SE :confused: >> I just know in my gut that a blade with a good amount of belly would be a slicing machine and would perform well in many different tasks.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

True. Years ago on our small mountain farm I had a number of opportunities to use a Buck Skinner. Perfect for the jobs, plenty of belly and a non-piercing point. If I approach the Rhino’s blade sweep correctly it makes long and precise cuts. Have to accommodate the belly with my hand motion. Can’t just slice away for long and deeper cuts.

When the Rhino was released I thought, “what an odd small folder”. The more I looked into it the blade shape coupled with both the handle ergos and its negative angle was more intriguing. So, finally I bought one to see how all that might work together. I was pleased with the quality, the weight and scales. And a bit surprised that such a small knife fit my hand so well.

Since, I have been increasingly attached to it. (Thank you again, Mr Reinhold and the Glessers for a great knife.)

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That does really pack a lot of edge on the blade length. They are tough for me to sharpen by hand which makes a good re profiling/resharpening away from home difficult. I can do it but it won't be as pretty an edge as I like.

Michael, your photo makes me want one. Maybe next time try to make it look less appealing? :)

Joe
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

It's been about a month that I've been carrying mine five days a week. Michael is right that you do have to get the hand motion down. What really impressed me is that for all that belly, there is still plenty of flat on the edge. It is about 50/50 which really helps make it a great utlity knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!