Finding the Para 3: The Perfect Storm

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Finding the Para 3: The Perfect Storm

Post by MichaelScott »

Since the Para 3 was introduced it has been praised, pilloried, dismissed, compared to the PM2 (which it isn’t), become the step-child of those who expected perfection, lauded for its design, construction and materials, denigrated for the same reasons and has generally created an almost perfect storm of controversy in the Internet knife community. My guess is that most Para 3 buyers don’t know this or don’t care.

One perceptive commentator noted that the expectations for this knife were so high they were in the stratosphere, were unrealistic and so ambiguous as to be meaningless.

Most criticisms can be easily dismissed as not being actual objective shortcomings of the knife, materials or design, but as personal preferences or opinions that are only relevant to the individual making them. They can be noted, of course, and might have some bearing on a reader's preference, but objectively they mean little.

Most knife aficionados on this forum are more than aware of this perfect storm. I am continually puzzled by this and similar dust-ups, but being that we are all individuals with our particular likes and wants it should not really surprise me. Some time ago, winnowing Spydercos for my “final three” (a number not set in stone) the Para 3 began to emerge as a serious candidate. I had shied away from it because of the crazed controversy but decided to delve a bit deeper and see if I could uncover a few balanced reviews and commentary. This turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated but there are now some worthwhile discussions about the Para 3 itself, not its alleged shortcomings, if you look long enough. I think now that I have learned enough through balanced reporting that it will fill a useful and aesthetic place in my small collection.

I welcome any comments from Para 3 owners who have lived with their knives for a while and would like to give me more to consider.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sjucaveman

Re: Finding the Para 3: The Perrfect Storm

Post by Sjucaveman »

I found that adding a signet ring made the para 3 handle much better.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

Personally, I favor bigger knives. I liked the Military and the original Paramilitary, but I sold them when I started buying more expensive knives (Strider, Hinderer, CRK, etc). I recently got a PM2 in S110V and it quickly became my EDC. I changed the "burple" scales for some custom CF ones and it's a great knife.

That being said, I have never handled a PM3, but almost every post that I have seen say that it is NOT just a smaller version of the PM2. I would love to check one out and maybe have it as a backup, but then I'd have to decide between M4, CRU, REX45, MM, etc...... :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The curious case of a little brother knife living in the shadow of his much adored big brother. I wish the Para 3 had a different name so it could stand on its own a bit more without constant comparison to the PM2.
I see the 2 biggest gripes as:
It's too small. (well yeah it was designed to be a smaller knife)
Clip placement is not ideal. (true, and I have a mxg deep carry clip on my para 3 that is lovely)
I love the Para 3. I have small hands and small pockets. My knives mostly cut paper, tape, cardboard, plastic, light duty for the most part.
Do you prefer smaller knives with compression locks and g10? Are you ok with buying an aftermarket clip?
Those are really the questions you need to ask yourself. I really do think it's a fun knife that is capable of so many things, but also excels at mundane tasks and doesn't fill up my pocket.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:33 am
The curious case of a little brother knife living in the shadow of his much adored big brother. I wish the Para 3 had a different name so it could stand on its own a bit more without constant comparison to the PM2.
I see the 2 biggest gripes as:
It's too small. (well yeah it was designed to be a smaller knife)
Clip placement is not ideal. (true, and I have a mxg deep carry clip on my para 3 that is lovely)
I love the Para 3. I have small hands and small pockets. My knives mostly cut paper, tape, cardboard, plastic, light duty for the most part.
Do you prefer smaller knives with compression locks and g10? Are you ok with buying an aftermarket clip?
Those are really the questions you need to ask yourself. I really do think it's a fun knife that is capable of so many things, but also excels at mundane tasks and doesn't fill up my pocket.
Very good summation :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It seems many of the negative reviews/comments/etc can be tracked back to expectations that the para 3 would be a sequential CQI version of the paramilitary 2. It’s not. Perhaps it’s named wrong; it’s a downsized version, and both lines have their strengths. The other complaint is clip placement. I agreed on that point and ordered a Lynch deep carry clip at the same time I ordered my para 3.

I bought my para 3 pretty recently, after spending a lot of time comparing the specs of the p3 to the pm2, and to my former edc, the Benchmade 525. I’ve not had a lot of time with it, but I liked it so much I have also subsequently bought a pm2. For me, the p3 is a near-perfect weekday EDC. I’ve been carrying smaller knives for many years, like the 525. Something I’ve come to dislike is small handles. I like fuller grips even for smaller blades. Just because the blade must fold into the handle doesn’t mean the handle must match the blade length. Think of it this way; if you broke a 1/2” off your Delica, you can grind the tip into a wharncliffe, have a useful blade shape and length, but still have a longer full grip. The p3 gives me that grip and a longer one too, if using the choil, in an overall pretty compact package. The pm2 is awesome, and I see it as more of a weekend or outdoor activity knife. Camping, hiking, and etc. If I need something bigger/ badder, I think I’ll be carrying a fixed blade.

At this point, while the Delica and pm2 are both really fantastic, the p3 is my favorite spydie.

E.t.a. SG88 posted as I was typing, I see some similarities in our posts :D
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

2018-04-14 16.32.26.jpg
Love all my Spyderco's, but especially my PM2's (own 3).

I went back and forth on purchasing the PM3 (my first) for quite awhile...and then I finally broke down and purchased the BBS M390.

Smurf blue is a nice color, but it's just not for me.
So I ended up changing out my scales from blue to black g-10, + added a new offset sandwashed lynch deep carry clip. I pocketed my PM3 for a good month or so, ergos were fine, but didn't really like the smaller size blade.
It was just different. I would leave the house with the PM3, and on my return immediately switch back to my PM2's.

It was when I reprofiled my PM3 and put my own edge on it that I found my stout little edc beast. I am always coming and going constantly, and in CA, this knife fits the bill well. It took me awhile to come around, but I have with the PM3. I kind of see the Native in the same way, as I dont own one - but watch from a far and know that's on the horizon as well.

If I need a heavier use knife, I will grab my PM2'S, Pac Salt SE, or Mules.
C
Attachments
2018-04-14 16.33.03.jpg
mgnmdngg

Post by mgnmdngg »

i prefer the 3 over the 2 every time.

the 3 has a perfect blade size and makes the para2 feel like a military
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

The combination of Spydergirl and Woodpuppy's posts really sums it very well. I had a PM2 originally and loved it, but then began finding the size was a bit much for me as a typically edc. Plus the longer blade makes me hold the knife differently, almost awkwardly when making certain cuts when opening packages. The Para 3 doesn't cause any of those problems for me, though at times I think the blade may be a tiny bit too short and have never thought it was a good looking knife with that sweep of the blade...but the platform is really turning into my favorite Spyderco knife. Which I would not have said a few months ago. I currently own (2) PM2's, bought one after the other...I now own (2) Para 3's, with the Rex45 on pre-order. The Para 3 has swayed me. If it comes to camping or doing outside work, then I'll grab a PM2.
Last edited by RickC27 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never been a PM2 fan, but I really like the Para3. I honestly find them to be completely different knives.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hand size plays a large role in this as well... I would image SG88 does not have overly large hands; I don’t either. I need a large glove for length, but a medium would probably do for mass...

You can see my pinky makes it into the handle even without the choil:

And using the choil gives me a full grip:

elena86

Post by elena86 »

It's a mistery to me why they decided to keep such a thick blade stock and wide blade profile on a 3 incher :confused: It just...doesn't make sense :eek: I am sorry to say but this ... almost ruined the Para3 for me. I bought a few just because but ... they lost a good opportunity... Para3 could have been the prodigy offspring of the Millie/PM2 line instead of being such a contested progeny :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
anycal

Post by anycal »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:38 am
Since the Para 3 was introduced it has been praised, pilloried, dismissed, compared to the PM2 (which it isn’t), become the step-child of those who expected perfection, lauded for its design, construction and materials, denigrated for the same reasons and has generally created an almost perfect storm of controversy in the Internet knife community. My guess is that most Para 3 buyers don’t know this or don’t care.

One perceptive commentator noted that the expectations for this knife were so high they were in the stratosphere, were unrealistic and so ambiguous as to be meaningless.

Most criticisms can be easily dismissed as not being actual objective shortcomings of the knife, materials or design, but as personal preferences or opinions that are only relevant to the individual making them. They can be noted, of course, and might have some bearing on a reader's preference, but objectively they mean little.

Most knife aficionados on this forum are more than aware of this perfect storm. I am continually puzzled by this and similar dust-ups, but being that we are all individuals with our particular likes and wants it should not really surprise me. Some time ago, winnowing Spydercos for my “final three” (a number not set in stone) the Para 3 began to emerge as a serious candidate. I had shied away from it because of the crazed controversy but decided to delve a bit deeper and see if I could uncover a few balanced reviews and commentary. This turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated but there are now some worthwhile discussions about the Para 3 itself, not its alleged shortcomings, if you look long enough. I think now that I have learned enough through balanced reporting that it will fill a useful and aesthetic place in my small collection.

I welcome any comments from Para 3 owners who have lived with their knives for a while and would like to give me more to consider.

This could really be said about any knife.

As far as I am aware, the clip placement is the biggest gripe. I have not heard much more negative sentiment about the Para 3. If anything, the quality of this model is very good.

For any product to be successful, it needs to be accepted by the masses. Or, at least, by a critical number of customers. At the end of the day, Para 3 appears to be a success for Spyderco. Based on the number of different flavors released, and the 'specials' going out of stock pretty quickly.

I have one - CRUWEAR. And although I do appreciate it's design, it is too similar to PM2 in closed size (pocket realestate) and weight. If I had a blade length restrictions, it would make sense. Lacking those restrictions, why wouldn't I carry PM2 instead?
Peter
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have one and I think it’s a fine knife. It fits my hand well, it’s blade is a good size, and its construction is just as good as its big brother. That said, I did find myself wanting something bigger and found that the PM2 suits me ever better. I WILL be snagging that new 52100 when it comes out however.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
FK

Post by FK »

When the Para 3 was introduced,,, my response was ho hum,,, not very interesting.
Tried one in Cruwear and really liked the feel in hand,,,, even better after removing the annoying clip.
I now carry the Para 3 in a nylon belt pouch with fold over flap/Velcro.
Excellent little knife that just fits and feel great,, like an old time pocket knife (without clip).
My collection has 5 Para 3's in exclusive/sprint and Spyderco has consistent high QC on this series

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

@MichaelScott

Send me a PM if you'd like to try a Para 3. I'll send you my Para 3 S30V from the first run to check out. I happen to have that knife on me at work today. It's a solid little knife without being overly large. I have a pretty good rotation of knives that I bring to work but one of my Para 3s is with me at least once a week. I don't have huge hands so the ergos work well for me. It may not be the same for you. So if you'd like to use one for a week or so just let me know.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180806_132722.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132528.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132455.jpeg

What's not to love about a knife that changes color depending on the lighting! Very excited, finally got mine in today...changed the pocket clip before I even put it in my pocket.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:42 am
E.t.a. SG88 posted as I was typing, I see some similarities in our posts :D
Great minds think alike :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:43 am
@MichaelScott

Send me a PM if you'd like to try a Para 3. I'll send you my Para 3 S30V from the first run to check out. I happen to have that knife on me at work today. It's a solid little knife without being overly large. I have a pretty good rotation of knives that I bring to work but one of my Para 3s is with me at least once a week. I don't have huge hands so the ergos work well for me. It may not be the same for you. So if you'd like to use one for a week or so just let me know.
This is a community and a forum. Awesome! PM sent.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

kadinh wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 am
That being said, I have never handled a PM3, but almost every post that I have seen say that it is NOT just a smaller version of the PM2. I would love to check one out and maybe have it as a backup, but then I'd have to decide between M4, CRU, REX45, MM, etc...... :D
This hits the nail right on the head. It has happened a few times in Spydie history that Users asked for something specific (such as a smaller version of XXX knife or the XXX model with a different blade shape) and when Spyderco delivered it wasn't exactly what was requested. This happens because Spyderco doesn't ever just swap out a blade shape or shrink an existing model. Every new model goes through full R&D to make sure it gives maximum performance. So, when users asked for a smaller PM2, Sal, Eric, and the rest of the team went into the deepest bowels of Spydie HQ and designed a knife that fit the bill. The result is not a PM2 put in a shrinking machine, but a 3" blade, compression lock folder that has traces of the PM2 DNA but is also a new model all its own. That performance driven design philosophy is why most of us love Spyderco, but it is also the reason that requests like this aren't always exactly what was initially requested.