Finding the Para 3: The Perfect Storm

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Finding the Para 3: The Perrfect Storm

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have one and can find no faults with it. I am a tip down kind of guy so the clip issue is not an issue for me. That said, I may just stick with the one I have and buy no more. For me I just prefer the ergos on some of my other 3” folders. It seems like a great knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Imagine if shoes only came in three sizes.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

For me my epiphany came the first time a disassembled one of my PM3s. Took me about 10 min and was so easy compared to the first time I did a PM2. Not having a peened lanyard tube is CQI at its best, I just hope the Spyderco crew do the same for the PM2. I must admit I am beginning to love the smaller size. The PM3 is an excellent pocket knife. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

I also think it’s perfect (for me). Clip is nonissue bc I rotate them to tip down carry. This model provides a lot of steel options. It’s a blade length that is allowed by my employer. I feel I have slight more control of fine cutting tasks over the pm2 due to blade length. And it doesn’t scare my wife as much.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

holeshot wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm
For me my epiphany came the first time a disassembled one of my PM3s. Took me about 10 min and was so easy compared to the first time I did a PM2. Not having a peened lanyard tube is CQI at its best, I just hope the Spyderco crew do the same for the PM2. I must admit I am beginning to love the smaller size. The PM3 is an excellent pocket knife. :)
My Cruwear Para 3 had a flared lanyard tube. I had a heck of a time pulling it apart to dye the scales. I made sure to correct it while I had it apart. I won't have that issue again. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

holeshot wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm
Glad to hear that because once I get my Rex45, I'm swapping those scales to the BHQ/DLC and then taking the natural G10 and dying them (maybe red??) And putting those with the Rex45 blade. Haven't taken one apart yet, so that's encouraging to hear.
Para3

Post by Para3 »

I like the Para3, as a matter of fact I own three, the S30V, S110V, M4 and have a Rex 45 model on pre-order. My only gripe is the pocket clip placement and that's easily fixed with a deep carry clip. My first Spyderco was the PM2 and while I love that knife, it always felt a little big for my EDC needs and sees more weekend use. The Para3 suits my daily needs very well.
Native5-S110V, PM2-S30V, PM2-Rex 45, PM2-52100, PM2-S110V, PM2-S35VN, Para3-S30V, Para3-S110V, Para3-M4, Para3-BD1N, GB2, Dragonfly, Manix2-S30V, UK Pen Knife-S110V, Delica4, Para3-Rex 45, Para3-52100, Manix2-S110V, Stretch 2-ZDP-189 G10, Stretch 2 FRN-VG10.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am waiting to see if I get one in Rex 45. I do think the name is unfortunate, as it misleads people to think it is the next revision of the PM2, which it is not. It is an entirely different knife that deserves to stand on its own. I tend to compare it to the Native 5, which is my gold standard for a 3 inch knife. But it remains to be seen when I get one in hand. I can see the sense of a 3 inch folder using the compression lock.

I do adore the PM2 and doubt that it will displace it in my appreciation -- but I think it will be a fine knife of a different sort.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, names can be difficult. I see the sense in referring to the Military and Para Military “family”, yet it can set unwanted associations of a different kind. I recall a BladeHQ video discussion of the Para 3 right after it was released to them. A very positive conversation but one of the two kept calling it a PM3. He was corrected but it just slipped out a couple more times.

I’m glad I didn’t have to name it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

I am so glad to read that others carry their Para 3 tip down. I carry my Para 2 that way as well. For me, tip up requires me to walk my fingers down to the pivot before deploying it. I prefer to be closer to the pivot when it comes out of the pocket. And when the clip is on the pivot end of the knife, it carries deeper in the pocket and creates no hot spots on my hand. I don’t use a lanyard so that’s off the table.

I even tried an MXG deep clip on the Para 2, but went back to the original clip. The only downside is that the blade jimping is facing forward and I feel that when I dig past the knife for loose change. And for whatever reason, the edges on my 3 are slightly rounded compared to my 2 and is easier on my hand in general, and, going in and out of my pocket.

I have the DLC M4 version and since it’s my 1st Para 3, don’t know if the rounding is from it being a Sprint run, or just part of the para 3 package. But I like it. My biggest/only gripe about the Para 2 is the squared off edges of the G10.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have small hands, and like smaller knives. You can't help but compare the "military" family to each other. The Para 2 is not a Millie, and the Para3 is not a Para 2... but there are similarities. Blade style on all 3, lock type and choil on the para's, G-10, stoutness. When I got my first Para 3 I immediately had the thought that I was done collecting Para 2's. I love the ones I have, but I saw no reason to get more. The Para 3 was everything I loved about the Para 2 in a size that was much more suited to my tastes. When the Rex45 preorders came up, I went straight for the Para3 and didn't even consider a Millie or Para2.

On the issue of the pocket clip, I love the way the MXG deep carry short clip looks on the Para3, it's perfect. So I'm happy it's set up the way it is (if the clip was placed like it was say on the native, the deep carry clip would ride higher than the handle, which I don't like). It does stick out of the pocket a bit with the standard clip, but no more than a yojimbo or a few others, I get what people mean about it sticking out (I do use an aftermarket clip after all), but for the most part I think there was a lot of over reacting about the clip.

Easily in my top 3 favorite Spyderco designs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

Fixmeister wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am
I am so glad to read that others carry their Para 3 tip down. I carry my Para 2 that way as well. For me, tip up requires me to walk my fingers down to the pivot before deploying it. I prefer to be closer to the pivot when it comes out of the pocket. And when the clip is on the pivot end of the knife, it carries deeper in the pocket and creates no hot spots on my hand. I don’t use a lanyard so that’s off the table.

I even tried an MXG deep clip on the Para 2, but went back to the original clip. The only downside is that the blade jimping is facing forward and I feel that when I dig past the knife for loose change. And for whatever reason, the edges on my 3 are slightly rounded compared to my 2 and is easier on my hand in general, and, going in and out of my pocket.

I have the DLC M4 version and since it’s my 1st Para 3, don’t know if the rounding is from it being a Sprint run, or just part of the para 3 package. But I like it. My biggest/only gripe about the Para 2 is the squared off edges of the G10.
I carry tip down back pocket. The blade faces the pocket seam and I don’t have to worry about accidental opening
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Because I was new to knives in general the Para 3 was even father down the list once I found Spyderco as a brand. I now have the Para 3 in Maxamet, M390, CTS-204P, both M4 versions , and the Rex 45 in the mail. It's now my favorite knife from this company and I'm 6'2 190 lbs with XL sized hands. I don't know if it's because of the new style stop pin or some other improvement over the PM2...but EVERY one of my P3s are centered, no blade play, and have almost perfect blade actions. They are comfortable to use, feel great in my hand, and IMHO perfectly designed. This is all the more surprising to me since I prefer large folders.

James
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have had one of Sharp Guy’s Para 3s for about a week. It is the black G10, S30V, a combination I like. It certainly looks initially like a Para Military 2 but once in hand you know it’s not. A close cousin indeed but a knife designed to be a bit smaller yet contribute its own ergonomics and control.

I like the options provided by a good size lanyard hole. Sharp Guy moved the clip to be on the show side pivot placement. It carries fine that way and the clip is out of the way when using the blade. Besides, I like tip down when I can get it except on back locks that have a strong closed bias.

For someone like me who thinks the Para Military 2 is an almost perfect design and implementation of a folding knife I seldom carried it because it was just too big. Yes, for many of you it is not and for many others neither is the Military. That’s one reason Spyderco gives us lots of choices.

And, for me I no longer have the need to carry a bigger knife and that is also the Para 3 but if I did I would grab one tomorrow.

It is still a puzzle that many people bad mouth the Para 3 because their expectations were not met or such easily rectified issues (for them) damned the entire knife. But not really surprising.

Sharp Guy’s lovely Para 3 will be traveling back to him. I want to say how much I appreciate being able to live with it for a week and get acquainted with this fine knife. Sharp Guy you are a gentleman and a friend. As my daughter would say, “You rock!”
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've actually been thinking about getting another Para3 to replace the one I sold last year. Like some of the others, I find the Para2 just a bit too big for EDC, but the Para3, being of similar dimensions to the Delica, hits that sweet spot of not too big, not too small.

The hardest part has been trying to decide if I want one of the stock S30V models, or one with upgraded steel.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

After buying the Dragonfly 2 (my first Spyderco), the next one I really liked was the Para 3. I even mentioned somewhere in the forum that it would probably be the perfect EDC knife for me, but I didn't buy it right away. Instead, I bought a PM2, a Native 4 LW, and a Chaparral LW, thinking I'd eventually get around to the Para 3.

The PM2 just blew me away and I couldn't keep it out of my pocket for an entire day. Even if I was carrying one of the others, the PM2 tagged along for the ride. Liking the PM2 so much made it hard to justify buying the Para 3, but I eventually caught a bug and bought the Bento Box exclusive in M390. Since the day it arrived, it's been the ONLY knife in my pocket. I absolutely love this thing. I still believe the PM2 is probably the best all-around knife ever made, but the Para 3 is absolutely the best EDC knife for me. The size and comfort are perfect, and I'm loving this steel.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

My fully serrated para 3 and I really bonded through work last night. That knife cut dirty old carpet like I couldn't believe and just kept on going. Others were also blown away by how it continued to cut like mad when razor blade cutters were dulled after 1 pass. Everything but the tip still looks and feels sharp too. I always thought it was too small for my hand but with the signet ring on the end I had a great full grip and never felt I didn't have the right tool.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

I find that the height and width are about the same as a PM2....so aside from the depth (length), it takes up just as much pocket as the larger PM2. But i find the blade length to the ideal for a "pocket" use folder. So i will take that as a win. I dont own any PM2's anymore b/c of that. It offers the blade shape, steel, scales, construction, and made in the USA of a PM2 in a smaller package that still fits most hands. I tried the native 5, but i like the M,PM, and P construction better.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Ahh, the para 3. Funny that I have my own internal conflict about this knife. It’s so easy to carry and use that I have 4 varieties. Everything works great, but I’m not sure I love it. Maybe it’s just not as aesthetically appealing at the pm2. The pm2 just looks amazing. The para 3 less so.
But the pm2 is huge in my pocket and I don’t like carrying one.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I feel the same. The Para Military 2 is such a balanced and pleasing design that the Para 3, because of its smaller size doesn’t quite do the same. But, for daily or regular carry it is a better design. I’d suspect that most people who have both will carry the Para 3 more.

Team Innovation