Spyders That Never Had Teeth That Should Have

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyders That Never Had Teeth That Should Have

Post by JD Spydo »

embry386 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm
ASmitty wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:59 am
I really just want the delica and Endura SE models to come in ffg serrations like the delica wharncliffe.
This...this is the biggest mistake in the current Spyderco line-up IMO.
Yes I have been wanting this for a long time. If they end up making an ffg serrated Endura I'm buying both it and a normal orange Endura and swapping the scales to get an orange serrated one :) :spyder:

Maybe a serrated version of the newest Police, too.

And this isn't quite on topic, but I'd really love a plainedge version of the original Rescue. The stainless-handled Mariner came in both edge types, and the Rescue gen 2 came in both edge types, but the lovely original Rescue which looks like an FRN Mariner was only ever produced in serrated. :( I'd like it to be flat-ground as well, with a better blade steel than G-2, while they're at it.
I used to own one of those older ATS-55 era POLICE models with the G-10 handle and it had a full flat grind and I always thought it was better than the hollow or sabre grind that you see on those stainless handled POLICE models. And again I have such a vivid memory of the older C-54 big Calypso model in Spyderedge with the full flat grind and how wonderfully it performed. It's interesting too because I believe that original C-54 Calypso was either the first or one of the very first folders Spyderco made with VG-10 blade steel. And VG-10 was one of the few steels that performed well in PE or SE.

I miss so many of those older models that used to be made in Spyderedge but haven't been available in SE for many years for whatever reason :confused: . You mention the RESCUE model and I still say the best one of those they ever made was also in the ATS-55 era and that was the stainless handled RESCUE that they only made for a couple of years. I still EDC one of those units to this very day and I just happen to have that one on me today. Those Stainless RESCUE models had a hollow grind but as rigid of a spine that model had seemed to make up for any shortcomings that model might have had.

And yeah ATS-55 for Spyderedges did perform significantly better than the older G-2 you mentioned which I heard was the very same steel as GIN-1 with a different name. Now GIN-1 wasn't at all a bad blade steel for Spyderedges but it was not much better than H-1 for plain edges unfortunately.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one model that absolutely should be available in Spyderedge and that be the KARAHAWK model. That's the only thing that has kept me from jumping on one of them. Because I take my own personal Hawkbill Gallery very seriously. I've even wondered why they never did a Karambit type model in SE???

It should be mandatory that all Hawkbill models should first be introduced in Spyderedge and the plain edge should be available by growing demand. A Recurve blade I'm certain would have 3 times the cutting ability in Spyderedge>> I don't think it would even be close>> I bet most people who own Recurve blades whether they be Spyderco or other brands should insist on having them in SE.

Just look at how much more a Reverse S blade can do in Spyderedge. You don't see hardly anybody wanting a Civilian or Matriarch in PE except for maybe a rare collector piece. I'm very doubtful if anyone would buy one for SD use in PE :confused: It's not even close when compared side by side when comparing the 2 edge types in just about any blade with curve in it. This new VIPER model should first be available in SE and the plain edge should have been a special order item. I loved the reviews I read on that knife.

One of you made mention that the P'Kal model would really shine in Spyderedge>> hey I couldn't agree more. The decline of the number of Spyderedged models should be of grave concern to all of us. Because it wasn't that way back in the GOLD OLD SE Days ( 1990 to 2003)>> That was the GOLDEN ERA for Spyderedged models IMO.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:16 am

I've also been disappointed that not since the TEMPERANCE 1 model has there been any outdoor type fixed blades offered in Spyderedge.
Have you even seen the Jumpmaster 2? It’s the same thing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:16 am

I've also been disappointed that not since the TEMPERANCE 1 model has there been any outdoor type fixed blades offered in Spyderedge.
Have you even seen the Jumpmaster 2? It’s the same thing.
OK Fair enough ;) I did check out the newer JUMPMASTER with the drop point blade and I will admit that there are a few similarities between it and the original TEMPERANCE 1 model. But no they are not twins by a long shot :confused: . The handle configuration is completely different, The blade design is somewhat similar but a lot different that the TEMP 1. And really there is hardly no comparison between VG-10 and H-1.

But I will say that by checking out the new JUMPMASTER on that Youtube video has me very much wanting to get one all right :cool: I still far prefer the handle on the TEMP 1 and the leaf type, full flat grind blade on the TEMP 1 is better than the hollow grind on the new JUMPMASTER IMO. I didn't get to see the sheath that came with the new Jumpmaster but I'm sure it's a nice one>> but the TECH-LOK sheath that came with the TEMP 1 is also a long time favorite of mine. I've never found any handle that I like better than the one on the TEMP 1 model on any fixed blade knife I've ever owned or used. It is almost like they custom designed it for me personally.

Now I will admit that both Spyderedged fixed blades ( TEMP 1 & Drop Point JUMPMASTER) are both great outdoor type blades for sure. Again I can't wait to get my hands on one. Because the Sheepsfoot Jumpmaster sure made a believer out of me when I got to test drive one. But this new one is a blade I MUST have. But Brother JAZZ I do sincerely thank you kindly for pointing it out to me>> because it is better than I originally thought it would be :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I see what you’re saying, bro. They’re similar, but different. I know I am quite picky myself. Sometimes, change isn’t good. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:39 pm
I see what you’re saying, bro. They’re similar, but different. I know I am quite picky myself. Sometimes, change isn’t good. :)
And again I do thank you for calling it to my attention because up to that point I had not taken a hard look at it. The Sheepsfoot Jumpmaster that I got to test drive thanks to a friend of mine really impressed me and I'm sure the Jumpmaster is going to spawn a new series of Spyderedged fixed blades which is great. Which is to say it may set a precedent for many more Spyderco fixed blades with teeth and that's a great thing that was way overdue IMO.

Oh it's a great knife and I can't wait to get my hands on one soon. I tell you what I'll do when I get it>> I'll try to do a side by side comparison of the two legendary models and let the folks here at Spyderville make up their own minds. But it won't stop me from pursuing a Sprint Run of the TEMP 1 by any means. But all in all this is great news for Spyderedge fans for sure.

Now we are down to a Recurve with teeth and a fixed blade Hawkbill with teeth and I won't rest until that all comes to fruition :D Thanks again JAZZ for that great "Heads-UP" you gave us all :cool:
supracor

Post by supracor »

I want a fully serrated Respect :D :p

The Sustain could have serrations, and a better steel also.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm
I've even wondered why they never did a Karambit type model in SE???

It should be mandatory that all Hawkbill models should first be introduced in Spyderedge and the plain edge should be available by growing demand.

I agree that curved hawkbills should have teeth for the most part, especially in such a small blade as the Karahawk (to increase cutting power and effective edge length), but it seems that serrated karambits are a really odd thing :confused:

In fact I can only think of one, now, the Cold Steel Tiger Claw. The ones from Emerson, Bastinelli, Brous, FOX, Schrade, Boker and many other manufacturers are all PE :( maybe because the blade shape is "grabby" and enough per se without teeth, and more than sufficient to hook, rip and tear :o

That is easily solved with Spyderco and some add-ons though :D

but given that the Hawks and K'Bits are essentially claws, to me it's also logical that they have an equally great animal feature, teeth :cool:
The Superhawk would've been a big hit with those, I am sure, and probably would have lived longer in production :rolleyes:

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I agree that teeth go with hawkbills, for the most part. Great knives for plant life (hey, Peacent and JD?). The karambits are mostly for SD, where a PE is better. I have a PE Spyderhawk that I never use. If it had serrations, it would be doing yard work all the time.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thanks for the timely pics PEACENT :) I really love that modified TASMAN model and I might just do that to one of mine at some point. With the pic of the SUPERHAWK you don't have to possess a massive imagination to realize how much better that model would have been with TEETH :cool:

I really love the new nuclear Orange Spyderhawk ( thanks again Guys!! :) ) because the nuclear colors sure make it much easier to find if you happen to misplace it.

I know I'm being redundant but in some ways I also can't understand why the C-111 Captain wasn't initially offered in SE>> especially the inner arch part of it. I do like the rounded pendulum end being PE because with that rounded tip of the blade you can really penetrate nicely when really sharpened right.

The one suggestion of the P'Kal being offered with TEETH is really making sense the more I think about it. Because it has some pull cutting abilities too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 am
I agree that teeth go with hawkbills, for the most part. Great knives for plant life (hey, Peacent and JD?). The karambits are mostly for SD, where a PE is better. I have a PE Spyderhawk that I never use. If it had serrations, it would be doing yard work all the time.
And JAZZ I totally agree with you and Michael Janich both especially after Mr. Janich went into detailed explanations as to why plain edges have the upper hand in self defense scenarios and with all the reasons he laid out I'm in complete agreement with the both of you on that issue. However I still would like to at least see the Karambits and KaraHawk models at least be offered in Spyderedge as an option because I do so much work with my Spyderedged Hawkbills that I would like to see how good Hawkbills of that size range would be like with TEETH. Because some of these self defense knives just happen to be great knives for certain cutting jobs as well. Just look at how everyone has discovered how great the Spyderhawk is with gardening & landscaping work for instance>> and in most of those cases the Spyderedges prevail.

No I just want it to be an option if you would happen to want one in Spyderedge that's mainly what I'm getting at. In my perfect world I would ideally like to see all Hawkbills and many other specialty blades be offered in PE & SE both. And years ago Spyderco did things that way>> and I very much miss those days.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I bought the Dragonfly Hawkbill, hoping it would be great, but it just couldn't get enough plant material with each cut. I retired it real quick. the Tasman SE works great. If the karambits are small, I'd say PE, but that's me, from my experience.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

How about a full SE Tatanka? :p
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am

Not a bad idea. I now carry a SE Pacific in my back pocket. If I need something cut now, it’s there and ready. If I could, I’d carry the Autonony, like you. Love the look of it, and it looks useful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am

Not a bad idea. I now carry a SE Pacific in my back pocket. If I need something cut now, it’s there and ready. If I could, I’d carry the Autonony, like you. Love the look of it, and it looks useful.
Hey that's a helluva an idea :) !! I never even thought about making Spyderco's "Big Beef" folder in SE but it immediately got my attention :cool:

I still want to see the C-54 Calypso return in SE>> not only was it a big blade but it was full flat grind too. The possibilities are still wide open there are still many models to consider for TEETH ;)