Dragonfly ZDP-189 for hard use????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kev1215

Dragonfly ZDP-189 for hard use????

Post by Kev1215 »

Hey guys I need a knife for work and I’ve had my eyes on the Dragonfly for a while. I love the size as a small blade is perfect for the precision cuts i do. My question is this..my work requires me to cut into carpet throughout the day as well as scoring drywall and just general utility applications. Nothing abusive but a lot of cutting. How will the ZDP steel hold up? The last thing I want to do is spend the money for this knife and it start chipping right away. I need to know if it can handle cutting somewhat harsh materials. Thanks so much everybody!
sal

Re: Dragonfly ZDP-189 for hard use????

Post by sal »

Hi Kev,

Welcome to our forum.

I think the ZDP would hold up fine, but I think that the D'Fly might be a tad small for the kind of chores you are talking about.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Perhaps a Dragonfly Salt in Serrated Edge H1 would fit your needs. The H1 is tough and shouldnt chip, the serrated edge H1 blades are lengendary for staying sharp through tons of use, and since its rust proof you can clean it easily with soap and water to get grease and other gunk off easily and not worry about rusting. I love my Dragonfly Salts. The plain edge Dragonfly Salt was my first Spydie and started the addiction. It is still my second favorite design behind the Native LW.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I agree with both Sal and Steel City. Serrated H1 but bigger than a Dragonfly. Salt 2 or Pacific would be my go to knife. I'd also recommened keeping a replaceable blade utility knife for the real nasty stuff.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ZDP holds an edge longer than many steels, but is also more challenging to sharpen... From the sound of it you might want to look at an S110V Native, it's still small in the pocket but a bit beefier all around than a Dragonfly, plus S110V is easier to get a useful edge on, IMO.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the Forum. :)

ZDP-189 is tougher than some people will have you believe so I doubt you'll have any problems with it but like the others I think the Dragonfly is a little small perhaps for a serious work knife.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I love my zdp dragonfly, it's edge sure lasts.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Kev1215.

I agree with the general consensus that a Dragonfly, though an admirable knife, is probably a bit small for what you want it for. The Salts are great, particularly in SE. Easy to sharpen, easy to care for. And those serrations will rip through carpet like butter. I have a Pacific Salt, and to me, it is the definition of a tough beater knife.

Other good knives worth looking into would be the Native, Paramilitary 2 or the Para 3. The Tenacious is also highly regarded and is more inexpensive. For larger knives, check out the Manix or Military. I have a Military in CPM S110V and it is one of my all time favorite knives - it's a cutting machine that never quits.

Variety is one of the great things about Spyderco. Let us know what you end up going with. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

For that kind of work...serrated Salt 2 all day! (If looking for a knife in the sub $90 category) Was just using mine today to trim some smaller branches from a tree that were getting too close to my daughters trampoline. I'm amazed at how easily a single pull cut, on a 3" blade just shredded through those branches like butter. Carpet wouldn't stand a chance against that knife.

Resized_20180805_192406 (002).jpeg
Last edited by RickC27 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Edge holding won’t be a problem but the Dfly is just a fairly small knife so may get uncomfortable
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might also look at the ZDP-189 Delica.

And...while we are at it, the ZDP-189 Dragonfly would be awesome in British Racing Green G10. Hint, Hint. ;)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The DF ZDP 189 is an awesome knife. I have it in racing green FRN and use it often. Couldnt be happier with it and heartedly recommend it.

I dont use it for carpet cutting though and as Sal and others have mentioned, the DF might be a tad too small for the tasks mentioned.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

What about the Lil Native?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sometimes abuse isn't so much what the cutting task is, it's how often you do it. Even batoning isn't the end of the world if you do it once in a while but if you decided to split a whole winter's worth of fire wood with a Dragonfly it probably wouldn't go well. I don't think I'd choose a Dragonfly to cut carpet with if it was something I had to do often for a job.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I might mention that the handle size and shape may be as important as the steel and edge chosen. Others who know more can chime in but might Spyder Edge be better than Plain for your use?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 am
I might mention that the handle size and shape may be as important as the steel and edge chosen. Others who know more can chime in but might Spyder Edge be better than Plain for your use?

SE absolutely destroys carpet, and a 3/4 SE blade that has some plain edge at the tip would be perfect for also scoring drywall.

I think if I were looking for a small knife for this kind of work (as the OP seems since they're asking about a Dragonfly) I would go with a SE Native 5, Salt 2, SE Delica wharnie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott wrote:
I might mention that the handle size and shape may be as important as the steel and edge chosen.

Agreed; a bigger handle would be imperative for prolonged hard work/use, as the handle of the DF might be too small for that.

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:52 am
MichaelScott wrote:

SE absolutely destroys carpet, and a 3/4 SE blade that has some plain edge at the tip would be perfect for also scoring drywall.

I think if I were looking for a small knife for this kind of work (as the OP seems since they're asking about a Dragonfly) I would go with a SE Native 5, Salt 2, SE Delica wharnie.

Yes, a Delica with its bigger handle might be the solution.
Either wharnie or KAHR config.

(Not my knife).
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I also would lean toward a Delica Wharncliffe SE.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are interested in a smallish knife I would look at the Native. The LW models aren’t too expensive and I find it’s ergos work great for me for harder use. When using the choil I get a full size grip with a modest blade which for me creates a confidence inspiring amount of control that lets me put some force into my cuts. Also, while the blade is slicey it does have a sturdier grind than some other full flat grinds.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Pass on the DF2 for hard use. I have a Salt DF2 SE, it is an awesome little knife and the ergos are surprisingly good. But, it is still a tiny knife. I agree with others that you need a Native or bigger. Stretch, manix, PM2, GB2, etc... ZDP has never chipped on me, but I have not beaten up the knife...