Gift for my godson

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sjucaveman

Gift for my godson

Post by Sjucaveman »

So, my godson just recently enlisted in the marine corps and upon his graduation I wanted to gift him a knife to use wherever his time in the corps takes him. I read thinking of giving him my cts204p military. Is that a solid choice? I was thinking that a pm2, a manix, or a yo2.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
holeshot

Re: Gift for my godson

Post by holeshot »

Yojimbo folder or fixed? Cause he is a Marine! :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

My vote goes to the Military but the Endura 4 is pretty popular with military personell also.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Military. Quality and purpose count especially for Marines.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My son's a Marine and I went through this not long ago. Before he went to recruit training I gave him a Delica and a Persistence to get him started. I told him to leave them at home until after he graduated. After he finished training and was assigned to his base (Hawaii) I sent him a Digicam/DLC PM2. In hindsight, a Pacific Salt probably would've been more appropriate.

I honestly don't know what he's been carrying these days. I know he also carries a Leatherman I gave him a couple years ago. He also said he bought a couple knives while on deployment recently in Asia.

Good luck to your godson. Please be sure to thank him for his service for us.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I think big and cheap make the most sense. Stuff happens out there. Maybe a Tenacious?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I were back in the service I would opt for the Manix 2 back lock because it is very rugged with that over sized pivot and thicker blade stock and uber strong lock. My next choice would be the LW version.

However, truthfully, he will get more use out of a Delica or better a Dragonfly on a daily basis.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Adam, the 204P Military is certainly a solid choice though I’d be inclined to give him a Digi Cam, satin blade (S30V) Military. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Thanks for the input. Im trying to go with a hand me down knife as I think that it means more to give him a tool that's served me well that will serve him well in the service. I've got dragonflies and delicas but (not to disrespect them, I love the dragonfly) I want to give him a real solid tool ie non frn. I do have a mix 2 but I feel the grip shape could be too restrictive if he wears gloves.
Adam
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sjucaveman,

Please thank him for his service.

I'd opt for the Military. He'll get a duty knife for digging holes and prying. The Military offers the most cutting power for the least weight. If you'll email his address to me, we'll send him some stuff. (sglesser@spyderco,com).

sal
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

^^ Very cool :)
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I like this place.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Bravo, Sal. Well done.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
supracor

Post by supracor »

And a SS Police?
Just for saying.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

If he is issued an OKC-3S bayonet, the Military will match pair with it very well size and capability wise.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKC-3S_bayonet

Just don't pound on the guard. It is only press fit.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:57 am
Hi Sjucaveman,

I'd opt for the Military. He'll get a duty knife for digging holes and prying. The Military offers the most cutting power for the least weight. If you'll email his address to me, we'll send him some stuff. (sglesser@spyderco,com).

sal
That’s awesome!
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:57 am
Hi Sjucaveman,

sal
Sal, I am once son blown away by the kindness, generosity, and support of those who serve shown by you and your company. I cannot say enough great things about you and your company. Thank you for the offer I sent an email. I'll be giving him the military, it is after all why you designed the knife. I know it's plenty tough to handle what he'll throw at it after hearing what bodog put his through.
Adam
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Military is a great choice. I hope your godson stays safe while in the service.

Sal, that is a fine gesture which will not be forgotten. Thanks for all that you and Spyderco do in support of our armed forces.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"