Curious used PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TXZerb

Curious used PM2

Post by TXZerb »

Relatively new to the forums. I recently purchased a used PM2, and the seller noted that he had been told it was a "forum knife" (it has the number 156 near the spyder logo). I searched the interwebs looking for a list of the forum knives , and could not find a PM2. The knife does not appear to be a fake, but there are differences between it and my sprint run S35VN PM2. Firstly the number 156. Also it is missing Eric's initials. Lastly the compression lock mechanism is different. I'd imagine there have been changes to design over the years, so I am just curious about what i have. Thanks for any help!
S30V 156.jpg
The attachment S30V 156.jpg is no longer available
sal

Re: Curious used PM2

Post by sal »

Hi TXZerb,

Welcome to our forum.

Hard to tell much from a photo. The number could be a collector number. Eric's tag would be on the back side to the left of the opening hole. A pic of the backside could help?

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have never seen a fake with a collector club number.

More pics would help.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TXZerb

Post by TXZerb »

Couple more pics. The lock bar is different from my newer PM2s.
The attachment S30V Initials.jpg is no longer available
S30V Initials.jpg
TXZerb

Post by TXZerb »

S30V Lock.jpg
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It certainly doesn’t look fake to me. As for its age, it is indeed an original run Paramilitary 2 since the Collectors Club number is “156” and not “156V” (denoting all subsequent variants of the knife — and there’s been a few!!). It is not a “forum” knife but rather an original run PM2, first run out of Golden after the update from the original Paramilitary (1) model. Cool find! Not a fake either by my (fairly well educated) guess. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That is a nice find! The 156 is the collector number (whoever it is) and he or she sold the knife or did not purchase it to begin with and it ended up on the market. As RAS said, the number is from the first edition of the PM2. He would know better than I.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:39 pm
It certainly doesn’t look fake to me. As for its age, it is indeed an original run Paramilitary 2 since the Collectors Club number is “156” and not “156V” (denoting all subsequent variants of the knife — and there’s been a few!!). It is not a “forum” knife but rather an original run PM2, first run out of Golden after the update from the original Paramilitary (1) model. Cool find! Not a fake either by my (fairly well educated) guess. Cheers, Radioactive :)
Did the early PM2s not have Eric's makers mark? I also noticed that the plunge line doesn't appear to be angled back. It looks straight like the latest releases seem to have.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TXZerb

Post by TXZerb »

Thanks for all the responses. I am fairly new to the knife collecting/using community, and am unfamiliar with Collector's Clubs. I just noticed the differences and decided to ask the experts here. I will also mention that the lock release is not nearly as smooth as my newer PM2s. Most of mine will drop free easily, when held horizontally. This one will not. I have to use my other hand to close it every time. Also, there is a very noticeable amount of side to side play when released. Here is a closer pic. It almost looks like the the very tip fo the lock bar is angled up. Bent? Anyways, thanks again for you help!
S30V.jpg