Superhawk Sprint??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Superhawk Sprint??

Post by BDNX »

Any chance we’ll ever get to see a Sprint Run of the Superhawk? Maybe just in a colored g10 of some sort. I never was able to get one of the originals and always regretted it. Just curious....thanks.
JD Spydo

Re: Superhawk Sprint??

Post by JD Spydo »

This is just something that has to be done eventually. Because if the original SUPERHAWK had been offered in Spyderedge it would have probably been a permanent fixture in the main line up. Because a Hawkbill blade without teeth to me would be like having Halloween without "ELVIRA" :cool:

Simply look at the sales charts on the Harpy model>> the SE version has outsold the PE version by at least a 30 to 1 ratio>> maybe even more than that.
So with that being said let's give this most elegant, well designed Hawkbill another chance>> and I mean a fair chance by making it available in Spyderedge this time around.

Actually if the SUPERHAWK was made in SE and marketed correctly it could end up outselling the Harpy. Unless they were to start making the Harpy with a G-10 handle again. No it's high time we see the return of the SUPERHAWK model and I bet the Sprint would sell out so fast they would consider making it a regular item on the main line up.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think the Superhawk/Superleaf suffered the same issue as many of the Japanese G-10 models: expensive for the stats and fit and finish you get. It's just the painful reality, with Golden churning out incredible bang for the buck, and Taichung churning out incredible fit and finish, Seki just seems to be lost in the shuffle on everything but high-volume FRN models. Even for someone like me, who knows and appreciates what Spyderco does, and had been lusting after the Ouroboros for a long time (after handling it no less), it was difficult to pull the trigger on it. It just seemed like not much knife for the money. Same with the Lava, a design I liked but just never was able to justify, seeing what I could get from Golden and Taichung. It doesn't bother me much, and I'll fix it myself eventually, but my Ouroboros has developed a rattle (I assume lanyard tube). Again, it doesn't bother me much, but if I was newer to Spyderco, and/or I was thinking this knife was a bit of a splurge, then I'd probably have a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Hopefully it's a problem that Spyderco can fix, otherwise I fear we won't see too many new models coming out of Seki.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

What you want then is a dealer or distributor exclusive, which can be reissued as the buyer desires. Sprints are once and done.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Reg. production, Sprint Run, anything....I don’t care really. I just really want another chance at one. Haha.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:16 pm
I think the Superhawk/Superleaf suffered the same issue as many of the Japanese G-10 models: expensive for the stats and fit and finish you get. It's just the painful reality, with Golden churning out incredible bang for the buck, and Taichung churning out incredible fit and finish, Seki just seems to be lost in the shuffle on everything but high-volume FRN models. Even for someone like me, who knows and appreciates what Spyderco does, and had been lusting after the Ouroboros for a long time (after handling it no less), it was difficult to pull the trigger on it. It just seemed like not much knife for the money. Same with the Lava, a design I liked but just never was able to justify, seeing what I could get from Golden and Taichung. It doesn't bother me much, and I'll fix it myself eventually, but my Ouroboros has developed a rattle (I assume lanyard tube). Again, it doesn't bother me much, but if I was newer to Spyderco, and/or I was thinking this knife was a bit of a splurge, then I'd probably have a bad taste in my mouth about it.

Hopefully it's a problem that Spyderco can fix, otherwise I fear we won't see too many new models coming out of Seki.
That's a very nice observation TVenuto but I still say that the #1 driving force that derailed the SUPERHAWK was the fact that they failed to offer it in Spyderedge. Because when you look at all the other Hawkbills how many PE Hawkbills do you know of that did anything significant sales wise? Even the PE Harpy probably didn't even exceed the 2% of the overall sales of the SE Harpy. I still very much remember how much of a dud that the blue PE VG-10 Spyderhawk was in the early/mid 2000s>> it was even a Forum knife went over like a lead balloon :rolleyes: / But there is a lot of truth concerning what you said about Chad's old Lava design. I don't even remember which Japan maker did the SUPERHAWK I'm ashamed to say because I was just enamored about it being another great addition to the Hawkbill lineup. But a very interesting observation to say the least. Maybe that's another Japan unit that should have been made in GOLDEN. We need a GOLDEN made Hawkbill period and that would be a good one to do over IMO.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would rather see an XL and/or XXL version of the Spyderhawk. Same Orange FRN and H1 SE blade. I would be a nice big hawkbill and still relatively inexpensive. I wouldnt really be interested in a Superhawk sprint knowing the price.

A Golden made SE hawkbill sounds nice, but I would still want it to be an H1 blade. We know they have done H1 in Golden with the Autonomy, so it can be done unless something has changed since then.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:28 pm
I would rather see an XL and/or XXL version of the Spyderhawk. Same Orange FRN and H1 SE blade. I would be a nice big hawkbill and still relatively inexpensive. I wouldnt really be interested in a Superhawk sprint knowing the price.

A Golden made SE hawkbill sounds nice, but I would still want it to be an H1 blade. We know they have done H1 in Golden with the Autonomy, so it can be done unless something has changed since then.
OK "SteelCity" I still say we are basically on the same page to a large degree. Because I just absolutely adore all of my Spyderhawk models especially the newer nuclear Orange unit that my Brothers sent me while I was on my back healing from a horrendous knee operation which still has me somewhat sidelined. I haven't used that one yet because i'm still just blown away at it's awesome beauty. And boy would I just love a Spyderhawk with G-10 scales>> and that will come to fruition at some point if I've got anything to say about it.

With all of that being said I still say that a new SprintRun Superhawk with a Spyderedged blade and maybe even a different colored CF handle this go-around would add a lot of class to the Spyderco Hawkbill gallery. I'm also thinking that this new SE Superhawk would do very well with LC200N blade steel. I would love to see a fixed blade Hawkbill be the first GOLDEN made Hawkbill but I wouldn't complain if they did a super sized Spyderhawk or a Sprint Run Superhawk made at GOLDEN.
janefarley3

Post by janefarley3 »

hmmmmm
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

Funny, when the Spyderhawk sprint was announced I was thinking "GREAT!!!", then looked at it and thought, "why did I want this???". I didn't realize the SUPERhawk was what I had seen that I really wanted, so seeing it asked about as a sprint has me enamoured all over. Size, shape, finger choil, compression lock = lovely for me. Spyderedge or no, don't really care.

BUT as I look at it again, I wonder if I'd prefer a hawkbill (with similar shape as the superhawk) para 3....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

goonielife wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:04 am
Funny, when the Spyderhawk sprint was announced I was thinking "GREAT!!!", then looked at it and thought, "why did I want this???". I didn't realize the SUPERhawk was what I had seen that I really wanted, so seeing it asked about as a sprint has me enamoured all over. Size, shape, finger choil, compression lock = lovely for me. Spyderedge or no, don't really care.

BUT as I look at it again, I wonder if I'd prefer a hawkbill (with similar shape as the superhawk) para 3....
Well I very much care if a Sprint Run SUPERHAWK would be available in SPYDEREDGE the next time they run it. Again any Hawkbill has many advantages in SE. To me a Hawkbill without teeth is destined to lack in overall performance.

Sure make all Hawkbills available in PE but don't put such a great blade design behind the 8 ball :rolleyes: