What are the chances for a multi-blade whittler?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
talesk

What are the chances for a multi-blade whittler?

Post by talesk »

Sal and team,

I feel spyderco has mastered ergonomics in hand and blade geometry for slicing.

What are the chances of getting a multi-blade slipjoint folder for whittling like the following knives?

- Boker Congress Whittler
- Buck Trio

I primarily use my delica but sometimes I want a sheeps foot.. or sometimes I need to drill a little and I don't want to use a slicing blade for that kind of work.

Instead of grabbing 2-3 knives it'd be nice to just have one mutli-blade folder like the clipitool series... but with the blade shapes and steel chosen by a designer like Sal/Eric specifically for woodwork.

This may already exist - spyderco's catalog is massive and I likely overlooked it.

Keep up the amazing work. Looking forward to my first Para3 (rex45) which is on pre-order :D
Attachments
whittler-buck.jpg
whittler-boker.jpg
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Kiteman72

Re: What are the chances for a multi-blade whittler?

Post by Kiteman72 »

I would likely buy a Spyderco whittler. I generally use a SAK Tinker, but the handle is a little rough on the hands.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

If I didn't already have Great Eastern Cutlery stockmen and such I would be all over this. I don't think I could convince myself to buy more. Now, a Spyderco Sodbuster or two bladed jack? Yes yes yes
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Though I don't really have any talent, I probably spend more knife-use time whittling than anything else, and I have some 2- and 3-bladed buck knives I use; they were only about $10 or $15 at Walmart. It's just a very competitive market, I don't see how Spyderco could make enough profit on it, unless they came up with some unique differentiating factor to enable them to charge more.

The Buck knives I use, do give me some "hot-spots" after extensive use, so there is room for improved ergonomics. When I was whittling a wooden chain, it helped to have the blade as small and thin as possible. Even a Kiwi blade was thicker than ideal for shaping the wooden chain links:

While I'd love to have a whittler with Spyderco-designed ergonomics, I sure wouldn't want them to lose money on it.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
talesk

Post by talesk »

Rodloos, great picture and insight!
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In my view, the new ClipiTool Standard would make an ideal platform for a multi-blade knife. It has the large locking blade with opening hole that is the Company trademark and a generous handle for whittling control and comfort. Instead of the bottle opener and can opener, substitute a short slipjoint Wharncliffe or sheepsfoot on one end and a spey or pen blade on the other. We're halfway there.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.