Which Para 3 to choose?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Which Para 3 to choose?

Post by archangel »

Rex45, 52100, or Maxamet?

I like orange, but I have also a pre-order on a Millie.

I like CF handles over G10, but $185 is alot...

Maxamet may be the best steel of them all (what do you think?), but also this one is quite pricey...

The rule is, there can be only one Para3. Which one would YOU take?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sjucaveman

Re: Which Para 3 to choose?

Post by Sjucaveman »

S110v because I appreciate the ease of care of stainless and the long lasting working edge.

Of your choices maxamet.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Ric

Post by Ric »

Maxamet. Its crazy sharp.
I cut myself at sharpening just by touching the blade. The cut did not hurt at all.
But it will get a patina.

Because your are a special collector you have to choose:

Rex 45: Military, PM2, Para 3
Maxamet: PM2, Para 3, manix 2, native 5

I think the Para3 will get many more versions in the future so if you skip it now you will not regret.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Do you mean the Maxamet sprint from earlier this year? The REX45 and 52100 will be easier to obtain. Most people ask more than retail for their Maxamet's which I believe was ~$185. But that dark gray with a black clip is a very attractive setup. I have actually been looking for one myself.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

brumledb wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm
Do you mean the Maxamet sprint from earlier this year? The REX45 and 52100 will be easier to obtain. Most people ask more than retail for their Maxamet's which I believe was ~$185. But that dark gray with a black clip is a very attractive setup. I have actually been looking for one myself.
My understanding is that Maxamet is not a sprint, but is actually production (probably limited production).
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Cujobob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:53 pm

My understanding is that Maxamet is not a sprint, but is actually production (probably limited production).
Wow, you're right. My mistake. I totally thought it was a sprint since it is out of stock everywhere. Well thanks for the info, looks like I should just wait for the next round of them then. I assuming since they weren't a sprint then there should be another round of production?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just one? I'm trying to limit myself to 3... we'll see how I do. I've got Maxamet, M390, and I'm waiting on Rex45....
I have to say though the suggestion of S110V is a good one. A great all around steel. Has edge retention comparable to Maxamet and it's stainless. There's a bit of a learning curve on sharpening it, but that's the only downside. If I didn't have an S110V PM2, I'd already have a Para 3 (I may get one anyways).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

brumledb wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:00 pm
Cujobob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Wow, you're right. My mistake. I totally thought it was a sprint since it is out of stock everywhere. Well thanks for the info, looks like I should just wait for the next round of them then. I assuming since they weren't a sprint then there should be another round of production?
I haven't seen anything stating it's been discontinued, it's probably a steel more difficult to obtain in quantity. Spyderco knows to keep making things that sell, so I anticipate more to come. I really enjoy small knives with long edge retention steels because I find them much easier to sharpen. My K390 Urban has taken on that role for me, but I need a Para 3 so I'm stuck making the same choice now...which one!?
supracor

Post by supracor »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:43 pm
S110v
Of your choices maxamet.
Ditto.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The 52100 seems like a second knife to me. A back up. A carbon steel extravagance. I want one a lot.

If I could only have one, I think it would be the Rex. I want to try that steel and I really like the color. The photos of the just released pm2 look great. Probably getting this one too.

For your self imposed restriction, can you get the Rex in one of the others? A military maybe.
The 52100 you can get on a pm2 or the super cool grey manix with the black blade. Havea manix yet?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah Manix and PM2 spots are already filled, same as S110V.

I'm so torn. Looks like Maxamet is causing quite some trouble in production or availability - why else would it be so limited, not being a sprint? I'd hate to miss my chance. At the same time I really like the looks of the Rex45 and 52100 versions much more.

Rex45 Millie and 52100 Para3, that's the best case scenario. Costs are high though, so I may have to settle for just one.

Not getting easier....
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Crux

Post by Crux »

My favorite is the s90v CF as it's steel is also hard and I like the carbon fiber feel.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Crux wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 am
My favorite is the s90v CF as it's steel is also hard and I like the carbon fiber feel.
Me too. Surprised me to no end. It cost a lot, but I really like that one.

The op has a self imposed limit of getting only one variant of any model and never getting the same blade steel on any 2 models. It’s limiting and a challenge.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yep, and S90V is already in my collection.

I am missing the three steels from my opening post, plus some M390, SB, RWL34, 3V, 4V, PSF27, LC200N,..

SKU wise I currently don't own of the permanent models that receive sprints: Millie, Para3, N5, DF, Delica, and I'm sure I'm missing some...
Michael
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

That really is an interesting dilemma. Is your native 5 spot filled? I may lean toward maxamet if so, there are limited knives with that steel right now. But the same for 52100...
Crux

Post by Crux »

I've been a knife collector for a very long time and such have more knives than I can give, use or throw away. A couple years ago I decided to stop buying any more knives, at all. That really didn't work very well so then I decided to only buy the Spyderco Para 3 and that's all. Well that hasn't worked too well either but it was a big improvement. It cost about the same but takes up less space. Plus being a metal ho I think the Para 3 is the best ticket for the most varieties.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Is the Maxamet in stock anywhere?
archangel

Post by archangel »

I kind of keep the N5 reserved for an irresistible offer of the Damasteel Thor 40th anniversary grail... In my dreams, one day...

And to my best knowledge, the Maxamet Para3 is sold out everywhere - at least at regular prices.
Michael
supracor

Post by supracor »

archangel wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am
Yep, and S90V is already in my collection.

I am missing the three steels from my opening post, plus some M390, SB, RWL34, 3V, 4V, PSF27, LC200N,..

SKU wise I currently don't own of the permanent models that receive sprints: Millie, Para3, N5, DF, Delica, and I'm sure I'm missing some...
What do you have in CPM 154?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

archangel wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 am
What about the M390 Para3?