30 Day Blades (Brainstorming)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

30 Day Blades (Brainstorming)

Post by vivi »

If you check my sig, you'll see a link to my "one knife for 365 days" challenge.

I've been re-thinking that, since for me it isn't a challenge. A SE Pacific Salt is the knife I prefer to EDC.

So I thought it would be more interesting to EDC a different knife each month of the year, starting in two days......August 2018.

I plan to pick knives that will "challenge" me in certain ways. One month I want to carry nothing but a hawkbill. Another, a fixed blade. One of the warmer months, I'd like to EDC a Police 4 and see how it does against sweat and acidic foods. Maybe summer 2019?

This is my thread for planning out what I will carry each month. Come August, I'll post a thread for my impressions of each month's knife. I plan to make a video summarizing my thoughts of each model at the end of every month.

So to repeat, my preferred EDC is a SE Pacific Salt. That knife will be the baseline every other knife is compared to in my videos / text write-ups.

In my collection, I have the following Spydercos at my immediate disposal:

- CE Byrd Cara Cara FRN
- SE Pacific Salt
- SE Tasman Salt
- PE Pacific Salt
- PE Police 3
- PE Military CTS204P
- PE Manix XL DLC
- PE Szabo Folder, black blade
- PE Spin, SS handles
- PE Ronin 2
- PE Swick 3
- PE Ark (Modded into an arkidashi shape with no spyderhole hump)
- PE Aqua Salt

My normal EDC is a large, lightweight folder with FRN handles and a very corrosion resistant / rust proof blade, using a lock with a strong self close and a drop or clip point blade. I plan to specifically carry things that go against this preference, and see how I adapt. Fixed blades, carbon steel folders, liner locks, hawkbills etc.

I plan to pick up at least one new Spyderco between now and new years, so that gives me 14 models to choose from for 12 months. I'd also be open to loaners from members here, particularly models I don't like. For example, the Delica 4 saber grind was my first Spyderco, and I disliked it enough I almost wrote off the brand. It'd be interesting to give that another go.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Re: 30 Day Blades (Brainstorming)

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd like to see you with a Rhino. From your existing collection, Tasman SE.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

Interesting idea. I may have to do something like this myself. I'd love to know the 30 day difference in feel between carrying, say, a Dragonfly and then a K2 :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Will follow along with interest, Vivi, as we share uses and preferences for the most part :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:31 am
I'd like to see you with a Rhino. From your existing collection, Tasman SE.
Rhino would be interesting for the size alone. Not as extreme as going with a Spin.

Tasman might be first. I've never tried going with just a hawkbill.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:40 pm
Rhino would be interesting for the size alone. Not as extreme as going with a Spin.

Tasman might be first. I've never tried going with just a hawkbill.
I thought the Rhino would be interesting change of pace for you because it's small and you like big knives and have huge hands. I thought it would be an ideal small knife for you because it was designed by someone with large hands as well and I don't think you would run into the same issues grip wise that you would with something like a Dfly.
It's a 3 finger grip, but it's a large 3 finger grip if that makes sense.

And of course as a member of team hawkbill, I want to see your solo SE Tasman review. One of my favorite Spydies. :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ug I wish you had a Spyderhawk or the Myrtle you could go with. I feel like you would enjoy a hawkbill or would far better enjoy only carrying a hawkbill if you had a larger one, more within your preferences.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think you should try the Tasman first. Then get a Spyderhawk, of course.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Soo you admit defeat..
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I just think he'd love the Spyderhawk because it is a hawkbill Pacific Salt.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have size large hands or at least must wear large gloves. My Rhino actually supports a four finger grip pretty well. When I hold it naturally my little finger actually wraps around the rear flat side of the scale. Nothing left over and it’s a solid purchase. Hands, of course do vary, so keep that in mind.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It looks like most of your knives are at least mid sized.

You should try to EDC a small blade (Dragonfly? Ladybug?) and see how that goes.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 am
You should try to EDC a small blade (Dragonfly? Ladybug?) and see how that goes.
Yup, come on Vivi, let's see you do 30 days in something that weighs less than 2 oz :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am
TomAiello wrote:
Yup, come on Vivi, let's see you do 30 days in something that weighs less than 2 oz :)
That still leaves the ukpk open. That's a great knife for the weight and price. I got one for under $70 is s110v, that is a great value.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

These challenges really only make sense if you have some kind of variance in your collection, or if you're willing to buy something outside what you normally would buy, so that there's actually a challenge to be had. Like me, it wouldn't make sense to have a 30 day Military challenge since I could carry one every day for the next 10 years. On the other hand, I don't own any Spyderco slip joints aside from my Bug, so a UKPK challenge would be something that's actually different and challenging for me since I always have a lock. A Spyderhawk challenge would also work for me since I've never carried a large hawkbill exclusively.

Years ago I did a 6 month SE only challenge because up until then I really didn't carry SE and was struggling with sharpening and using them and I didn't have any respect for SE. After just 4 months I knew I'd never leave the house without a SE blade of some sort, so the challenge was very beneficial. Over that time I learned how to get repeatable results in sharpening and I now get edges that rival my PE knives, and I carry SE almost exclusively.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ric

Post by Ric »

Try a Dragonfly.
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:27 am
I just think he'd love the Spyderhawk because it is a hawkbill Pacific Salt.
Those still available? I meant to get one but it slipped my mind. Bday is coming up :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am
I have size large hands or at least must wear large gloves. My Rhino actually supports a four finger grip pretty well. When I hold it naturally my little finger actually wraps around the rear flat side of the scale. Nothing left over and it’s a solid purchase. Hands, of course do vary, so keep that in mind.
The rhino wouldn't be comfy for me in a four finger grip, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying one with a three finger grip. There are knives that are big enough for me to wrap all four fingers around that don't feel good in my grip due to the ergonomics. Delica 4's come to mind.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
It looks like most of your knives are at least mid sized.

Everyone forgets about the Spin, even when I listed it in the OP. That model really gets no love.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Those still available? ...
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP77SO ... sprint-run