Can we have a Jumbo Lil Native comp lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Can we have a Jumbo Lil Native comp lock?

Post by SG89 »

I am absolutely in love with the Lil Native compression lock... Can we have a bigger version of it too?
Golden made compression lock g10 scaled knife with wire clip... Has this been done before? I can't recall if it has.
Of course you have the wonderful Manix 2 LW and Foundry with wire clips but they are of course not compression locks nor do they have g10 scales. The UKPK doesn't lock and doesn't have g10 scales either. Is this just a classic case of you can't always get what you want? Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BigGrove

Re: Can we have a Jumbo Lil Native comp lock?

Post by BigGrove »

So a G10 Native with a compression lock. I'd buy one. I love everything about the Native except the lockback. I bought one and tried really hard to like it but ended up returning it.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

They make a Jumbo Lil Native XL with G10 and a comp lock, though confusingly they call it the "Shaman". No wire clip though. I wonder if there's some weight at which they don't think the wire clip will be strong enough? Or it has to do with the handle material not supporting threading well? Though the Foundry sort of kills either of those thoughts as it's pretty heavy and all steel.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ha, is that an oxymoron?

I would be interested in a comp lock G10 Native5 but prefer the spoon clip. Wire wouldn’t be a deal breaker though.

SG, your idea may just be too similar to the Sage5. Except for the half thumb ramp, carbon fiber and not being made in Golden it sure is close. I cannot recall if you have had one of them or not?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:07 pm
Ha, is that an oxymoron?

I would be interested in a comp lock G10 Native5 but prefer the spoon clip. Wire wouldn’t be a deal breaker though.

SG, your idea may just be too similar to the Sage5. Except for the half thumb ramp, carbon fiber and not being made in Golden it sure is close. I cannot recall if you have had one of them or not?
I have never had a Sage 5 but I much prefer the comp lock on Golden models compared to Japanese and Taiwanese models. For reference I have had the Salsa, Superleaf, Lil Temp 3, Rhino, I think that's it without consulting my list. I found their action to be subpar compared to Golden comp locks
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Fair enough, the only comp locks I have handles are a handful of Para2s and a standard model Yojimbo so I have no experience with comp locks from other facilities.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The action on my Ouroboros is very good (seki comp lock). That said, I agree that the flat top of the Native makes it much more different than the Sage than raw stats would suggest.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Yes, please. I would love this.

I too have found the Taichung version of the comp lock to be sub-par compared to the Golden version. Neither of the compression locks on my Silverax or Sage 5 (which I ultimately sold) can hold a candle to the Golden compression lock. I would describe them as much more stiff (ie require much more force to release the compression lock) compared to the buttery smoothness on the PM2’s and Para3’s.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:37 pm
I have never had a Sage 5 but I much prefer the comp lock on Golden models compared to Japanese and Taiwanese models. For reference I have had the Salsa, Superleaf, Lil Temp 3, Rhino, I think that's it without consulting my list. I found their action to be subpar compared to Golden comp locks
I get this. I felt the same way about my Sage 5. I was actually considering selling it but I started messing around with it one day and I was somehow able to dial the action so it's about equal to my Golden comp locks. It's really smooth with no blade play too. Don't ask me how I did it but it's a keeper now.

The action on my Sliverax is awesome too. But that's running on the new bearings and it did need a little dialing in when new. To be fair, some of my Golden comp locks have needed dialing in too.

I'm curious to see how the Mantra 3 and Kapara will be.

Back to the topic at hand...I wouldn't mind a Native 5 with comp lock. I'm very happy with all my back lock Natives, so it's not really something I'd push for. I wouldn't fault anyone else for pushing for one.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I havent tried the lil' native yet, but the Native is my favorite platform. I like the linerless and linered G10 versions and the LW version is my favorite. Im all for more Native variants. A comp lock Native could be sweet.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lulz so a compression lock Native? :D I'm in.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
attila

Post by attila »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:01 pm
Could we also get a CBBL Native while we're at it? ;) :p
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

attila wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:49 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:01 pm
Could we also get a CBBL Native while we're at it? ;) :p
I'd be in for that too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A comp lock N5 is essentially my dream Spyderco (out of Golden at least). Sal himself in another thread said there’s no plan for one but he’d keep it in mind. I’m afraid that the Para 3 with nearly the same handle ergos (but alas with its mighty hump/thump ramp) now commands that niche market space and would not easily be displaced, so bringing in a very similar model wouldn’t make much business sense.

I love the N5 platform and have basically all the versions (plus more than a few modded/custom ones). I have tried (and may likely sell) the various lock versions of the Lil Native and the Shaman, and I hate to say it, but I really don’t care for either of them at all (don’t get me started on why the Shaman already needs to be CQI’d to version 2). My guess is for now, these are the options we’re working with. :(
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King