First impressions: Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

First impressions: Para 3

Post by lonerider1013 »

A lot of you probably have one. A lot are probably considering it. Here's what I think of it -- as a new owner.
Initial impressions: Spyderco Para 3
So I got this kind of by accident, I walked into the local knife store debating a Delica Wharncliffe or a Native5 LW. Instead I walked out with the Para 3.

These are just initial impressions, mostly comparing to the Delica4, but here goes:

A robust blade:
The blade on the Para 3 is much thicker at the spine where it meets the pivot than my Delica4, and overall is very robust, including the somewhat larger Spyderhole. More Belly on blade: The curve seems to offer more than the Delica or other similarly sized blades, and it has a nice finger groove at the base of the blade. The blade is about the same length, but somewhat taller, probably to accommodate both the larger spyderhole and the greater curvature that gives the Para 3 more belly to its cutting edge. The overall effect is one of a knife that is “overbuilt”. The increased thickness in the blade near the pivot and overall proportions seem based around the idea of a robust knife, something deliberately overbuilt, which can certainly be a good thing.

Weird and effective ergos:
As for as handle length/ width: The knife isn’t very long, but it does have a thick handle, which makes me glad for the hollowed out open back construction, in terms of weight savings, however it feels very different in the hand than the Delica. Combined with the thick spine near the pivot/thumb ramp this seems a much more overbuilt knife. That can be a good thing in use, both in terms of the handle and blade thickness; for instance, a thicker blade near the pivot not only means the knife is theoretically stronger, but also is more comfortable if your thumb is on the back of the blade than a narrower blade would be.
However, the thicker blockier handle construction – necessitated by the thicker blade -- definitely feels a little weird, if effective, in the hand, especially after using a slim extremely ergonomic knife like the Delica. To be fair I have heard it said the knife was designed to allow use with gloves, which is why it has a larger spydeyhole; with gloves the square edges of the grip might not be a big deal. Some have alleged the handle is too short if they don’t put a finger on the forward finger groove, but for me it is just right.

However, in hand, the blend of considerate – the forward finger groove for instance – with the seemingly unfinished – the blocker edges to the G10 handle scales – makes this knife seem odd to me in the hand. Spydergo obviously went to a great deal of trouble designing this and there is a reason it is quite popular, but to me it seemed something was missing, so I rounded the edges of the G10 with a file and sandpaper. It feels much better in the hand, now, though with the thick handle it definitely rides thicker in the pocket.

The pocket clip:
Speaking of pockets, how the knife sits in your pocket has caused more stir than much else about the Para 3. Specifically, what has caused much fuss is Spyderco’s decision to use the same large lanyard hole they did on the Paramilitary 2. In a handle that has a different scale height near the end of the grip, this left no room for the lanyard hole to be side by side with the pocket clip, so they moved the pocket clip under the lanyard hole. The result? It is set lower meaning more of the knife sticks out over your pocket. However, side by side with the Ambitious, I didn’t see it as that bad. Yes it stuck out, but not enough to make me worry about losing it.

That lock: The compression lock is quick and easy to operate, almost intuitive, and lefty friendly as well. I can easily open and close the knife one handed. Perhaps it is stronger, and it allows open back construction while maintaining ambidexterity, unlike many linerlocks, but in terms of operation, however, I do not see much advantage over a backlock in ease of use, as neat as it is.

Overall: I love it, and it’s a fine knife, but the Delica has spoiled me in terms of how a knife carries when folded. Its slimmer, probably lighter, and as easy to open/close one handed. That said, the Para 3 is growing on me. I do like that it was made in the US (the “USA, Earth” was a nice touch) and do enjoy how it feels, and looking at the blade handle junction it is clearly more robust than a Delica.
However, I’ve never exceeded the limits of my Delica, so far, so I guess the question becomes, what price piece of mind? The Para 3 costs nearly a third more than most Delicas, and while it is more robust, it is also a level of “overbuilt” most users will probably never need, except in their imaginations.

I mean, when hiking I once was able to cut down a small sapling for a walking stick using a crummy flea market knife, so something tells me the build quality of this knife is, maybe a little excessive. That said, there is a reason people buy good quality equipment beyond practical usage; does everyone who wears a Submariner dive? Etc. Sometimes it is just nice to have good quality stuff.

Just make sure you try one out before you plunk down the cash, because the quirky ergonomics will probably be the deciding factor; I love the knife, am sort of unimpressed with the contours of the handle (the handle build quality however is quite good). However, a file and some sandpaper soon fixed that, and though still thick, the knife no longer feels blocky. The question is do you want to start sanding the grips of a hundred and thirty dollar knife?

That said, I am glad to have one, and find myself using it a lot lately.

Yes, Delicas ride better and feel better in the hand, but Para 3 has a lot going for it from the steel to the design and there is a reason it is one of the more popular models right now. The lockback Delica/Endura design may be the iconic Spyderco knife that everyone thinks of when they hear the name, but the Para 3 is looking to be a new classic for the twenty-first century and beyond.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Frozenspyder

Re: First impressions: Para 3

Post by Frozenspyder »

Great write up. Very well written.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I find the para 3 to be a muscle car if you will, strong, powerful, fast.
And the Delica more of a stripped down track car, lightweight, sleek, also fast.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really good impressions, explained very well. Thanks for sharing.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for your extensive first impressions. Those will eventually change as you know. I’ve read a lot of impressions and reviews of the Para3. Nearly all of them cluster around a two, admittedly subjective criticisms.

1. Cost compared to some other Spyderco. This is irrelevant. You know what you are paying for that particular knife. If it is too much then why buy it and complain?

2. Comparisons with differently designed Spyderco knives. The Para 3 is not a Paramilitary, Para Military 2 or a Delica. It was never intended to be. It may share some characteristics of its cousins and distant relations but it isn’t them. Comparisons can be very helpful in some subjective ways but they are too often drifted into false, objective “analysis” without the necessary definitions and caveats. This includes opinions like “it is too big in the pocket”, “the clip is too big”, “the handle too blocky”. Opinions, certainly, but are not objectively relevant since someone has to judge and others will disagree.

I don’t have a dog in the Para 3 fight. I don’t have one. Not that for what it is and was designed to accomplish isn’t “right”, my desires and needs are small. It is certainly up there on my list of very interesting knives that might, situations depending, find it’s way into my pocket some day. Any personal features I might like to change, and there might be none at all, should be easily accomplished to put a finer personal edge on it. Or not.

This is not meant as a criticism to the OP. I enjoyed his write up and the thought that he put into it.

Thanks
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

MichaelScott, thanks. Yes these are subjective impressions. Also the knife is new to me so surely they will evolve!

I used a Delica in comparison because 1- it was the only spyderco i had of similar length, and 2- it is a model of knife many people will be familiar with. I too read / watched many reviews on the para 3, and when I got in hand found that a lot of them were not necessarily so! I figured first hand experience might be helpful.

But like you said, best to keep in mind these are subjective observations. There is (sadly) no perfect knife, but there are all kinds of knives, which works out great in a world in which there are all kinds of people!
Lonerider
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Right you are.

If I didn’t share your opinions I may have never bought my Rhino right now. It is currently and probably will be for a long time, my favorite small Spyderco knife. I believe it is mainly through use and experiences that will really let us know if we have what we like and are attached to.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

One thing I've already noticed is I like that larger spyderhole.

Just way easier to use,

Is there anyway to ask Spyderco if they would make this standard on all knives with lets say a blade over two and a half inches?
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

One thing I've already noticed is I like that larger spyderhole.

Just way easier to use,

Is there anyway to ask Spyderco if they would make this standard on all knives with lets say a blade over two and a half inches?

For that matter, does anyone know what if any other knives already have the larger hole?
Factech

Post by Factech »

Also, thank you. I am similarly considering the Para 3. I have other Spydercos mentioned - Native LW, Delica, also P2. But not a Para 3 just yet. This is thorough and provides more insight I am looking for. Just wow...that spine comparison to the Delica. I had an idea with dimensions, but wow!
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

I agree with the lanyard hole and clip. I hope it doesn’t change with any possible CQI Spyderco does to this model.

The way it is now it leaves plenty out of the pocket so I can grab it quickly when I want to cut something.