Spyderco Story Book? Time For A Sequel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Story Book? Time For A Sequel?

Post by JD Spydo »

I know a few of you long term Spyderville citizens have a copy of "The Spyderco Story" written by Kenneth Delavigne back around the late 90s that was published by Palladin Press. I'm wondering just how many more of you were able to snag one? I've heard that they are getting almost impossible to find now either in paperback and especially in hard cover. I was just going through mine last night and it sure brought back some great memories of when I got my very first Spyder back in the mid 90s. Boy things have sure changed a lot since then but on the other hand there are still some things about Spyderco that haven't changed thank GOD.

I'm wondering just how many of you would like to see this book become available again? Also how many of you would like to see a sequel to it? It's truly about time we did see a new book about the Spyderco Company with all the changes and innovations that have occured since the original book was published.

I'm wondering if the original author has even considered doing a sequel? If not then I'm sure someone close to the action would have a lot to contribute to create a sequel. What say you all??
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Story Book? Time For A Sequel?

Post by Mushroom »

I would really like to see a reissue of the original! Might even be able to crowd fund something like that, with proper permissions of course.
:spyder:
Would, also, really enjoy an up to date sequel that "picks up" where the original left off, in terms of Spyderco history!
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:57 am
I would really like to see a reissue of the original! Might even be able to crowd fund something like that, with proper permissions of course.
:spyder:
Would, also, really enjoy an up to date sequel that "picks up" where the original left off, in terms of Spyderco history!
We have a really nice "Mom & Pop" owned book store here in Blue Springs, MO USA where I currently live and I've gotten to know them pretty well recently. Just the other day out of curiosity I took my Spyderco Story book to her to see if she could run down another one for me. I was almost shocked when she called me and told me that she had located one in a bookstore in another state. When I got to the store I asked her how much it would cost me and she said $220 in almost new condition ( hardcover) not including shipping charges. It wasn't even brand new at that price :rolleyes: .

I haven't seen one for sale or trade on any of the forums in almost 4 years that I can remember. Those Spyderco Story books in hardcover are getting about as rare as an honest politician anymore. I can't believe as high in demand as they are that some publisher hasn't done a re-printing of the original Spyderco Story.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am in. An amazing forum member (thanks again ;) ) sold me a copy a while ago for a great price and I cherish it. They have gotten elusive and expensive.

With our diverse and talented group here we must have at least one good writer. I realize writing a book is a
ton of work though and am unsure if it is worth someone’s time and energy. On the other hand Spyderco does seem to be going strong and there are possibly many more Spyderco geeks and collectors now then there was then.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

There is plenty of material for a sequel in the form of new products, but the real story is the beginning of the Company, the philosophy of the founder, their innovative products and ideas and their impact on the industry. That has not changed.

Spydie enthusiasts may balk at the $200 price tags on Amazon, but these days that is not much more than the cost of one knife. https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Story-N ... 1581600607
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:38 am
There is plenty of material for a sequel in the form of new products, but the real story is the beginning of the Company, the philosophy of the founder, their innovative products and ideas and their impact on the industry. That has not changed.
That's a great point you make there "Mad Mac" because in a way you are 100% correct. I doubt if that could even be repeated again with the hostile business climate we have here in the USA as we speak. With Mr. Glesser literally starting the company out of his garge ( GOD Bless him!!) you just don't hear of stuff like that happening anymore. Most businesses now a days got heavy investors to back them or they just got really lucky with a product that was hot at that given time. I can't tell you how many good, money making businesses go up in smoke here where I live ( Kansas City, Missouri suburb) and this town has some serious money to support a business too.

I even remember when the survival magazines running the Palladin Press ads about that book in the late 90s. However I didn't get mine till about 2003 from a knife dealer in Oregon who was liquidating his business and I also got quite a few other Spyderco items from him as well at almost cost. He sold me the book for $22 and I distinctly remember that because that was even cheaper than they were selling them on Ebay at the time.

I just think that NOW might be the ideal time because of many new items coming down the product pipeline and especially all the new sharpening gear that is about to be released would make it a great time for a sequel. Not to mention several new collaborations and new In House designs as well that have blitzed the market in the past 3 to 5 years not to mention the ones upcoming.
bearfacedkiller

He didn’t even start it out of his garage. He started it out of the back of a bread truck towing a VW behind it and staying at campgrounds. Crazy hippie with a dream, a lot ideas, a lot of integrity and a lot of drive. Gotta love it!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would love to read it but the $200 price tag is a bit steep. Perhaps Sal and team could digitize it and post the pdf version on the website for all to enjoy free of charge. It is a great form of free advertising. People love these kind of stories and it makes for loyal customers.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The Company probably does not own the rights. The author, Kenneth T. Delavigne, has the copyright until 70 years after his death. Then it would be in the public domain. You may not want to wait that long.

One could always buy it, read it and resell it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:57 pm
The Company probably does not own the rights. The author, Kenneth T. Delavigne, has the copyright until 70 years after his death. Then it would be in the public domain. You may not want to wait that long.

One could always buy it, read it and resell it.
That's probably not a bad idea at all when you think about it. Also if you couldn't sell it for what you paid for it I'm sure some Spyderhead would trade a really nice blade for it if nothing else.

About 3 years ago I turned down a $225 offer for mine just because it's not even a money thing with me. I actually use mine as kind of a reference book of sorts. This just convinces me that a sequel if done right would do good at the box office>> I'm almost certain of it. I am kind of curious as to why Mr. Delavigne hasn't done a sequel :confused: :confused: ???
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Evidently, he is not a prolific writer. I can only find one other book he has written.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/demings-p ... iq=4989117
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I didn't even know this book existed. I might have to try to find one eventually.
bearfacedkiller

This may be up to Paladin Press. I just don’t know if converting to digital is worth it for them.
-Darby
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I thought I'd heard something about Paladin Press going under recently. I could be mistaken though.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Funny you should mention this, JD, as I was just looking through this very book a few days ago. I would gladly welcome a second edition to the Spyderco Story. I think it would be very interesting if the second edition continues from where the first edition ended, thereby providing a comprehensive overview of the company’s evolution through the present time. The first edition is a such a fantastic reference and a neat piece of Spyderco’s history, I imagine there would easily be enough interest for a second edition. Let’s hope this happens! :spyder:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 pm
Evidently, he is not a prolific writer. I can only find one other book he has written.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/demings-p ... iq=4989117
Yeah I noticed that myself :confused: and what's kind of weird is you would think otherwise. Because his work on the Spyderco Story is nothing short of excellent with everything from the main presentation to the history of the company and he really covered a lot of bases that many writers would probably exclude. I also tried to find out more about him as to whether or not he had worked for Spyderco but I couldn't find out much about him at all. But he sure did an excellent job with the Spyderco Story and I don't know how anyone could have done any better IMO.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

*EDITED - Copyrights will be honored. - TazKristi*
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I suggest getting permission from the author, his estate if necessary and the publisher.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I didn’t know any such book existed but I’d certainly buy a re print or sequel.

Thanks heaps JD. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

It may not directly hurt the Company or Mr. Delavigne, but it ruins the market for fellow Spyderco enthusiasts who have purchased the book, studied it, enjoyed it and attempt to resell it now or in the future.

It's strange. Someone steals our car and we go into a homicidal rage. Yet somehow, the Internet has created a cozy atmosphere of guilt-free entitlement to digital intellectual property of others.

Spyderco, like many other companies, is in a constant struggle to stop counterfeit copies of products. Fake knives, primarily from China, may be steel and G10, but the design idea is intellectual property and that is what differentiates them from the competition.

The value of patents and copyrights is subject to debate. In the meantime, we have the rule of law.