Why no sharpening choil?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Why no sharpening choil?

Post by anycal »

On my more used knives, I take the edge all the way to the ricasso.

My observation has been this. With the tri-angle stones, because the corners are somewhat round, the last 1/16 on the blade doesn't really get touched. However, if you are not careful, a stone with a sharp edge will ride up that little 'J' grind, causing the opposite side of the stone to create contact with the blade. You could be grinding a grove into the blade, if not careful.

I have knives with choil/notch, and obviously :spyder: without. Doesn't bother me either way.
Peter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I put one on one of my Swick3s and regretted it. I also made it a little bigger than needed. Oops. That was the diameter of my round file. Oh well. I do have another Swick3 anyway. I added it because it was a beater in my workshop used for lots of scraping and it had seen a lot of sharpening and had a significant j at the end of the edge from working my way a good bit up the blade. I could have just fixed that spot on the edge with a coarse stone instead. Live and learn. :o It is still a great shop blade/utility knife.

I can live with one either way but will not be adding one ever again.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
me2

Post by me2 »

I add them with a Sharpmaker brown triangle. Use the corner and keep the side of the triangle near the handle perpendicular to the edge. The slope on the cutting edge side helps prevent snagging, and they're not even the depth of the secondary bevel anyway.