non-knife people with great knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: non-knife people with great knives

Post by JD Spydo »

OH this one is really going to blow your skirts up :eek: :rolleyes: :D I just ran into the old head manager of a help-shelter I was working at some time back and I got to set down to lunch with him just the other day. He pulled out a Spyder that I sold to him out of sheer desperation ( because of terrible medical bills piling up at the time :( ) and it was the Carbon Fiber, Sprint Run of the C-57 ZOWADA>> it really hurt me emotionally to sell that jewell of a Spyderco classic. And here's the news that's going to raise some serious eyebrows :rolleyes: he is using that "ultra-Classic" Spyder like some super cheap used Buck or Case knife that he might of bought at a cheesy garage sale. He has put that beauty through a similation of World War III :eek:

It truly just made me want to sit down and cry like a baby be deprived of really good candy when I seen what he had done to that piece of cutlery equivalent to fine art :rolleyes: I was hoping that at some point I could buy it back from him because I thought he was going to make a safe queen out of it because I had also sold him 4 other super Spyderco classic models and 2 of the G-10 Sprint Ayoob models that he hasn't yet destroyed. But this guy could care less I can assure you. A really great guy but he has no appreciation for collectibles at all.

What's really horrible is that he gave me the knife to sharpen and I swear he must have been cutting barbed wire fences with it for weeks :rolleyes: :(
It took me almost 20 minutes with my extra coarse 3M diamond benchstone just to get all the dings out of it and another 15 minutes to completely reprofile it. That was truly the most sacreligious thing I think I ever seen done to an Ultra-Classic Spyderco collectible. His excuse was he wanted a small bladed pocket knife after someone stole his ZDP-189 Delica that I also sold him during duress and he used did use the Delica as his main EDC for at least 5 years so before he pulled out the CF Sprint Run ZOWADA out of his home safe>> I'm not kidding you all I truly felt like crying :o :rolleyes:

Yeah NON-KNIFE people shouldn't be trusted with Ultra-Classic Spyders at all>> I can assure you all I've learned my lesson in a horrible way :rolleyes: :(
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I had to Google the Zowada. Boy is that a beaut of a knife. From a collector's viewpoint, that really sucks. But on the plus side, he was using it a bunch, which means he must have enjoyed it on some level.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I have a friend like this. He joined the army as an infantryman right out of high school and has made the army his career. He also lives on an acreage where he raises livestock, grows his own food, etc. We've both carried a knife every day since high school. He cares about carrying a quality knife that will last, but he is not a knife nut and doesn't know jack about different steels or handle materials or the nuances of different locking mechanisms. He buys a knife, carries and uses it until he can't anymore, then buys the next one. He knows how to sharpen, so he doesn't just carry them until they get dull. If he can't use one anymore it's because it broke or he lost it out in the rough somewhere (losing them doesn't happen often). He's owned Kerhaws, SOGs, Benchmades, Spydercos (a PM2), etc. The sporting goods store he frequents carries all the major brands. When he needs a new knife, he stops in and looks at what they have. Even though he's not a knife nut, he's enough of an everyman to spot a BS sales pitch. He may rely a bit on the salesman, but he's mostly looking for a quality knife that he likes. He's tended to gravitate toward assisted opening knives in the past. His Spydie PM2 is the only non-assisted knife I've known him to carry since around 2001 when he bought his first Kershaw. If he ever showed up with an S110V Manix2 LW, I wouldn't be surprised. It's in the price range he'd be willing to spend and he likes lightweight knives. However, he usually tends to favor knives that aren't quite so wide when closed.
FK

Post by FK »

Before I retired,,, I was at the copy machine and no paper,,,, I open my Delica to cut away the wrapper on a new ream of paper.
The female corp. accountant was nearby and gasped,,, ran down the hall to our president and complained about my knife.

The president called my into his office and laughed when he opened his desk drawer and showed me two William Henry knives with Damascus blades and decorated bolsters. My guess is over $1,000 each. He had no idea what type of steel or anything about the makers,,,, more of a jewelry object. He stated the company regulations were for firearms as "weapons" not pocket knives.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

It could of been a gift and he carries it around because he likes the aesthetics... Shame he doesn't know a bit more behind the brand to FULLY appreciate it. I do think this speaks volumes about Spyderco's ability to bridge the gap between their products and the consumer.

I also have a Manix s110v and it is a **** demon, I had the misfortune of feeling the blade on skin (ouch is an understatement), but that is the nature of the beast. Still love the knife, but am more cautious with it forsure... always have a bottle of "New-Skin" liquid bandage ready.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

FK wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 am
Before I retired,,, I was at the copy machine and no paper,,,, I open my Delica to cut away the wrapper on a new ream of paper.
The female corp. accountant was nearby and gasped,,, ran down the hall to our president and complained about my knife.

The president called my into his office and laughed when he opened his desk drawer and showed me two William Henry knives with Damascus blades and decorated bolsters. My guess is over $1,000 each. He had no idea what type of steel or anything about the makers,,,, more of a jewelry object. He stated the company regulations were for firearms as "weapons" not pocket knives.

Regards,
FK
Man if she shrieked at that, I would of hate for you to have been using a Viper Knives Fortis, or the standard PM2. Probably would of thought you were trying to go on afternoon office stabbing spree.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

FK wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 am

Regards,
FK
You made me laugh so hard I almost had beer come out my nose.
Thank you! That is hilarious!

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

My grandfather and father carried pocket knives every day of their lives...so that's how I got hooked. My dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was about 7 years old and I've carried one daily since.

I bet that I have gifted well over 30 knifes in my lifetime. Usually, I see a friend using a really ****** or dull knife...so I pull out whatever I happen to have in my pocket that day and just gift it to them. On the 4th of July, I was at a friend's house for a BBQ. They tried to cut a zip tie off a package with their $5 knife and it wasn't going well. I handed them my Benchmade Freak and that zip tie was dead:) I let them keep the Freak and they have thanked me for the knife 3-4 times since.

I love my wife dearly, but I don't give her any of my nice knives. She just uses them as tools, couldn't care less about any of the cool features of a higher end knife. She currently has the Kershaw Cyro 2 in her purse and loves it as much as I love my Manix 2 with 52100 steel and gray G-10 handle.

My bet is that guy's girlfriend/wife googled "Top 10 pocket knives" and landed on a page with a bunch of Spyderco knives...and she picked the prettiest one for him. haha
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
anycal

Post by anycal »

cptdean wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:34 am
Also, this forum really needs a "Like" button.

Black Mirror - Nosedive
Peter
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

anycal wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 pm
cptdean wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:34 am
Also, this forum really needs a "Like" button.

Black Mirror - Nosedive

Great episode.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I've got another "Skirt Blowing-Eye Brow Raising" testimony for you all>> because this thread is more timely that most of us want to believe :rolleyes: Just for something different I was carrying my C-46 Lum Tanto folder 2 days ago and I haven't carried that elegant, bad boy in some time. And wouldn't you know it one of the guys that's working construction in our area here close to my home got to chatting with me and I noticed that he had a big folder in a sheath and at first glance I was almost certain that it was BUCK 110 or one of the big sheath models put out by Ka-Bar>> you all know the ones I'm talking about I'm sure.

Well when I asked him if I could see what he kind of a knife he was carrying you could immediately see that proud as a "new dad" look on his face like he was going to show me something that I would be awestruck by :rolleyes: It was actually kind of a Chinese made, convenience store knockoff of a Buck model and that knife was as dull as one of those wooden paddles you stir a gallon of paint with :rolleyes: The blade looked similar as the one my old boss showed me in my previous post ( really battered to **** and back :rolleyes: ). Then he wanted to see mine of course so I gladly thought I was going to impress the guy>> What he said really made me want to kick the idiot :mad: he said that he could get a knife exactly like mine at "Super-Flea" ( A local disgusting flea market junk palace).

When I tried to explain to the guy that this knife of mine was in a completely different league than the bargain basement piece of junk he had >> well he kept insisting that what I had could be got for $3 to $6 at Super-Flea :mad: I just simply said to him "Have a Blessed Day Sir" and I immediately walked away from him as fast as my operated knee would let me :rolleyes: It just never ceases to amaze me how completely labotomized most of these people are in this present time. Quality stuff is nothing but a sick joke to most people now a days I'm ashamed to say :(
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, you gotta live with it. Those types have completely different values than us knife weirdos here. Actually, I think those of us here appreciate quality in all things, not just knives. Electronics, camping and hunting gear for example. Where we may do extensive research before buying something to ensure we are getting the quality we want, others really are more interested in flash and price.

That’s just the way it is.

I was showing a couple of friends one of my Spydies over coffee. One went to his car and brought back an old Delica. Said it was a pretty good knife — it probably would have struggled cutting through his roll. Probably never sharpened. Did I know it was made up in Golden? My other pal, an old school Marine proudly fished an old bone scaled two-blade pocket knife that he likely got at the local hardware store. “This is all I need,”he said. Probably true.

I just shut up about my Spydie. As one person wisely said, don’t shop in stores that are closed.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation