non-knife people with great knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: non-knife people with great knives

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Crux wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 am
There is no such thing as "non-knife" people. Only "I've never seen a real knife" people. Prove I'm wrong and I'll cut off my little toe. Well, maybe not "actually" my toe, but I'll find one.
I present to you the Mayor of London, "No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law." -Sadiq Khan

"You want a toe Dude? I can get you a toe..." -Walter Sobchak
:D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Mayor Kahn is simply following every tyrant’s plan to fully disarm the populace so it is easy to control them. England, WAKE UP. Before it’s too late.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:27 am
I decided a long time ago not to discuss knives, guns, and sports beyond simpleton terms with people that don't share the same level of obsession I do. I serve up a simple observation and based on their answer I continue the conversation in depth or switch subjects. I guess that's why forums exist for just about everything so we can all talk to each other :)
I’m pretty much in the same boat. Although, like Doc, I try to show enthusiasm and give them a lot of positives about Spyderco if the conversation actually touches on quality or the company. If their eyes begin to glaze over I change the subject.

A bit at a time.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Funny I've always been a "knife guy" (i.e., carried and appreciated knives) but up until about a year ago I never owned a high quality one. I just couldn't see spending the money when cheaper knives seemed to work fine. When I got my first "good" knife (Benchmade North Fork) it was like discovering a whole new world. I have always appreciated good mechanical stuff (I bike a lot and have two custom steel frames, made one, a friend made another) and so on, and the way I'd describe it is the difference between a crap bike from kmart and a high end bike... I've tried explaining to people why I'd spend X on bike stuff, they aren't bike people they won't get it, but if they try a good one they can FEEL the difference. It's like that with knives. You can FEEL quality. Then you just have to decide what level of quality you're willing to spring for but at least you know the difference.

The cool thing about Spyderco for me is the ease of opening. Despite being a cyclist and shooter, I had some nerve injury to my right side, and as a lefty who always used a knife right handed I had to relearn it. Spyderco's hole is the easiest and best non-flipper or non-assist way to open a knife. The fact that the company makes many tiers of knives, from budget to high quality midrange working knives to full on fancy ones, is also a plus, because you can pick your poison, so to speak.

That said I don't usually talk knives unless I think the other person is also into it, a little: So many people are easily freaked out these days by anything pointy.

Oh and on that note, the Mayor of London (regarding the previously posted knife quote) is a moron.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This probably happens even more with other companies like Benchmade since you can find their knives in pretty much any major sporting goods store where average non knife fanatical people are likely to buy one for camping or something just because they've heard the name before and "it has to be a good knife if it cost $100". Then you run into that guy at the dentist's office and he can't tell you a single thing about the knife other than he got it at REI or Field and Stream.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I actually have this happen with Watches all the time too being as I used to be really into them. I remember some guy came into the shop once with a frickin sea dweller, and when I told him how cool it was to see one in person he was like "uh, it was a gift".

It's a free country, but when I see people with real nice stuff they don't bother to learn more about it's kinda sad. I mean, before I ever got a nice nice bike I knew all about em; before i ever even fired a 1911 I knew the history, had field-stripped a dummy version, etc. I guess some people have different levels of caring about their stuff. Me, I like to know how it works and why it was made that way.
But then I've also seen guys on $5000 racing bikes who don't know what a fricking limit screw is so ....
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I haven't experienced this personally. I spend a lot of time tossing my spyderco to non-knife-people who don't have knives.
benben

Post by benben »

Yeah, I think that’s strange, as someone pointed out, I could see a Delica or Endura in a non-knife person’s pocket, but not a LW Manix with premium steel.

He probably reluctantly went to a gun show with his militant brother-in-law, saw a pretty blue knife and asked to hold it, the vendor told him that this particular steel never needs sharpening and SOLD!!

lonerider, I ride a 5” travel Kona Dawg, older bike that works great. I have been looking at a steel Chromag Samurai hardtail for my next mountain bike, Chromag is very proud of their frames!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Have a kona dawg myself, although i tend to ride my singlespeed more than not. The Kona is one of the few dual suspensions that rides like a hardtail imho. Nice!

The Dawg above

Singlespeed below:
Lonerider
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Have I slipped into MTBR?

One of many jobs in college was in bicycle repairs and sales. The employee discount basically sucked up all my paycheck. I have a steel Bianchi cross bike and a couple steel Ibis Mojos, a ‘97 and a ‘98. Here’s the ‘97, set up rigid and single speed:

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:21 pm
haha!

i’m not a serious cyclist at all, but i bought a specialized stumpumper that i enjoy riding occasionally.

i guess i’m the guy with the s110v manix 2 lw.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Nice!
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
haha!

i’m not a serious cyclist at all, but i bought a specialized stumpumper that i enjoy riding occasionally.

Anyone with a stumpjumper is a serious cyclist...lol.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Rich guy at knife store: "You got anything nice for like a hundred fifty or so?"

Knife store guy: "You might never need to sharpen this."

Rich guy: "Sold."
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

lonerider1013 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:51 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
haha!

Anyone with a stumpjumper is a serious cyclist...lol.
i was looking for a nice mountain bike to try some trails. a friend had a rockhopper that i liked, so i was looking at one in a shop. it wasn’t the most comfortable for me, so the shop owner told me he had a friend with a stump jumper he was selling. the friend brought it to the store and it fit me perfectly. since it was used, it cost about the same as a rockhopper. i did enough research to know i wasn’t getting a bad deal, but i couldn’t tell you much more about the bike. now i use it to pull my kid around the block.

now i can see how this can happen. i never thought i’d be guilty of the same thing. thank you all for showing me the error of my ways. :D
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Its no error long as you are having a good time!

Lonerider
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

86BF0092-EBD0-42F5-BCAD-B1D24CD29B47.jpeg
current collection:
spyderco steels:
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Very nice!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh that’s new... my head's firmly stuck in the late 90s bike tech. You said stumpjumper, so I immediately thought of the steel one my roommate had back when. Wasn’t even suspension corrected, so dedicated rigid.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve seen one or two but I think the sales pitch would have to played a large role.

For example: A Citizen walks into a store to buy a knife. The salesman is a Spyder Knut and shows him a Delica which A Citizen seems to like. The Salesman sings the praises of the knife but adds that the PM2 which he takes from the display case and flicks open is a far superior knife with one of the best locks on earth, a blade steel that could cut the Delica in half and still shave peaches, it’s less than twice the price and it’s five times the knife. A Citizen handles the knife and agrees it feels knifier than the Delica and figures for the price difference he may as well buy it.

The clever salesman isn’t done yet and compliments A Citizen on his fine taste in knives as he takes a S110V Military out of the display case and flicks it open explaining for a few dollars more he could own the finest knife ever made and he’s carried the one he takes from his pocket and flicks open since his grandfather willed it to him when he died twenty years ago. It was grandpa's favourite knife and amongst other things he disarmed a Panzer Division with it and it’s still like new, never been sharpened and he shaves with it daily. A Citizen handles the knife and agrees it feels even knifier than the PM2.

The salesman goes on to explain that this particular knife has the best lock known to man, the steel is made in a secret laboratory by NASA and this particular knife is the preferred knife of the Special Forces and is used amongst other things to cut through submarine hulls and if he were to look closely at Special Forces tattoos he’d see the knife depicted is the same knife he’s now holding.

A Citizen is most impressed feels he’s been enlightened and buys the best knife on Earth. ;)
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin