Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 Exclusive

Post by SG89 »

If this was a red and black lil native or Para 3 i would be all over this
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
StuntZombie

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 DLC with red G10 Exclusive

Post by StuntZombie »

anycal wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 pm
TiCN? Had and have some DLC blades. Solid coating in my experience. Never had a TiCN. OP, may want to change the title...

Did a quick look at the Interwebs, comparing the two coatings. Should hold up similarly; DLC seems to have some advantages when exposed to heat and acid (neither of which should be an issue); but some older knife forum posts indicate that DLC holds up better.

Any feedback from those who have both?

Had a good bit of wear on one of my older knives, but never penetrated the coating.

TiCN doesn't hold up as well as DLC, and I've actually seem some blooms of rust appear on my coated Delica. On the DLC coated models I owned, the only thing that really affected the coating were the sharpening medium that I used.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Since first checking at mid-morning it looks like around 15 have sold based on the number currently available. I think this one dropped with a thud.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Looks great, but you can still get a 204P Millie from Knifeworks for 10 bucks less. Way too expensive.
Azilla21

Post by Azilla21 »

restless ghost wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 pm
Looks great, but you can still get a 204P Millie from Knifeworks for 10 bucks less. Way too expensive.
Agree
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:03 pm
If this was a red and black lil native or Para 3 i would be all over this
A red and black lil native would be a must have for me in any steel.

As a side note to the folks who think this is too expensive (190 is a lot for me to spend too), I hope you realize that it's not some huge mark up from the seller. G-10 made in Japan is expensive. Look at the qball, dallara, or stretch for a comparison. $190 for this is expensive, but it's reasonably priced compared to other Japanese models.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

That is one strange knife. People wanted a G10 Delica but I guess the sticker shock is a bit much.

For what it's worth, the old puke green G10 Endura in VG-10 had a street price of $118 back in the day before it went disco. I think you could get a Military for not a whole lot more back then. I think the D-2 Millies were about the same price. Those were a good deal.

On a positive note, those G10 Delicas and Enduras had a real solid CLICK when you opened them.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:41 pm
Since first checking at mid-morning it looks like around 15 have sold based on the number currently available. I think this one dropped with a thud.
I love seeing greedy distributors being met with a brick wall! Warms my grinchy heart.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:26 am
That is one strange knife. People wanted a G10 Delica but I guess the sticker shock is a bit much.

Yeah, everyone wants Seki to make G10 until they see the price. Seems like the worst possible country of origin for a G10 model/variant. DLC adds a bit to the cost too but there are so many options at this price point I really think it'll only be the dedicated hardcore Delica lovers who are going to bite. It's hard to justify when you can get most of the Para 2 exclusives for around $160 or so.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

I warmed back up to the Delica when I got the teal exclusive.

Really like this combo and I'd like to have a g10 Delica, but as much as I try not to complain about price it's a non-starter for me on this one.
:spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:15 am
BigGrove wrote:
I love seeing greedy distributors being met with a brick wall! Warms my grinchy heart.

How do you know they are greedy?? How do you know that they are taking more profit than any other dealer on any other knife?? This is a Delica with upgraded steel, upgraded scale, and upgraded coating, so of course its going to cost more. With all that plus the MAP related price increases, the price seems in line with what I would expect. I get that its not at all a great value knife compared to other Spyderco offerings, but im willing to pay a premium and get a very unique knife and do my part to help ensure that we continue to see new exclusives. I want to see this same combo in the G10 Dragonfly, Endura, and Stretch. They are taking the risk, they have to deal with customers who return a knife because lamination lines arent perfect, etc, so if they need to make a small profit, they should be able to.

As far this dropping with a thud, that is likely due to the lack of marketing by the dealer. The drops that sell out quickly seem to be the ones that are hyped up for weeks or months on social media. No one knew about this until yesterday. As more people find out about these more will sell. The secret formula seems to be hype, hype, release the model, hype hype, relase the scale, hype, hype, release the steel, hype, hype, set a drop date, hype, hype, talk about very limited quantities, hype, hype, watch people sit at their desks and order the minute it drops due to FOMO (fear of missing out) and/or flippers speculating that they can make a quick $50 on ebay. Hard to have a sell out in five minutes when the only people who know about it are the crazies like me and you who check this forum every five minutes! :)

Having the quantity available on the website is probably not a great idea either as there are probably people on the fence who arent buying because they know they have time before these sell out. Once the quantity gets lower they should sell quicker and quicker as FOMO sets it. And the flippers who see that they arent selling quickly arent going to buy any now as they know there isnt money to be made short term. I have a feeling that in 5 years these will be pretty valuable with the uniqueness and limited quantities.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:57 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:15 am
BigGrove wrote:

How do you know they are greedy?? How do you know that they are taking more profit than any other dealer on any other knife?? This is a Delica with upgraded steel, upgraded scale, and upgraded coating, so of course its going to cost more. With all that plus the MAP related price increases, the price seems in line with what I would expect. I get that its not at all a great value knife compared to other Spyderco offerings, but im willing to pay a premium and get a very unique knife and do my part to help ensure that we continue to see new exclusives. I want to see this same combo in the G10 Dragonfly, Endura, and Stretch. They are taking the risk, they have to deal with customers who return a knife because lamination lines arent perfect, etc, so if they need to make a small profit, they should be able to.

As far this dropping with a thud, that is likely due to the lack of marketing by the dealer. The drops that sell out quickly seem to be the ones that are hyped up for weeks or months on social media. No one knew about this until yesterday. As more people find out about these more will sell. The secret formula seems to be hype, hype, release the model, hype hype, relase the scale, hype, hype, release the steel, hype, hype, set a drop date, hype, hype, talk about very limited quantities, hype, hype, watch people sit at their desks and order the minute it drops due to FOMO (fear of missing out) and/or flippers speculating that they can make a quick $50 on ebay. Hard to have a sell out in five minutes when the only people who know about it are the crazies like me and you who check this forum every five minutes! :)

Having the quantity available on the website is probably not a great idea either as there are probably people on the fence who arent buying because they know they have time before these sell out. Once the quantity gets lower they should sell quicker and quicker as FOMO sets it. And the flippers who see that they arent selling quickly arent going to buy any now as they know there isnt money to be made short term. I have a feeling that in 5 years these will be pretty valuable with the uniqueness and limited quantities.
This knife is way overpriced, no question. Manix 2 52100 exclusive is $160, in what world is a Delica $30 more than that?

This knife should cost $150 tops.

If I came across as salty, you're darn right I am. I want this gorgeous knife, I want it bad. But I am not going to support a distributor that is clearly marking up prices beyond reason.
If you can prove to me that this is selling at MAP, I will admit defeat. Until then, I say they are trying to gouge us knife nuts and it's wrong. This feels like MAP+25%

I eagerly await being proven wrong, I really would like a reason to get one of these exclusives.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This costs way more than the Pakkawood HAP40 Delica which is similar construction.

I paid $131 for my Pakkawood Delica a year ago. They are currently $155 and not flying of the shelf.

Either TiCN got pricey, red G10 is expensive or they are charging a premium. Japanese G10 does consistently seem expensive and many G10 knives from Seki are pushing the $200 mark. Hey, they commissioned the run and ponied up their capital to make it happen, they can charge whatever they want.

As far as wishing that this run fails, shadenfreude isn’t what makes me tick. I see no reason to hope they fail and even less reason to derive pleasure from it.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:26 am

For what it's worth, the old puke green G10 Endura in VG-10 had a street price of $118 back in the day before it went disco. I think you could get a Military for not a whole lot more back then. I think the D-2 Millies were about the same price. Those were a good deal.

On a positive note, those G10 Delicas and Enduras had a real solid CLICK when you opened them.
Yea this is a really good point, and that one was just The standard steel with no coating. Given all the extras on this one this price seems pretty in line with that. Also the Millie/PM/Manix lines are phenomenal values, so it’s always hard to compare things to them. The superleaf got discontinued in part due to being unable to complete with the Manix line. Pretty sure the superleaf was $140 while you could get a Manix XL for $105.

Also, in general, I think people underestimate the cost of a good backlock. It definitely costs more than a liner/comp lock to assemble and manufacture.

Assuming a retailer is being greedy is just uninformed. Go run a retail business for a while before you judge.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Heck the massdrop FRN Delica was over $100. This is no doubt a decent chunk of change to drop, but I have no doubt the margin is not particularly aggressive. The liners and lock bar are coated as well, remember.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Definitely worth noting that the G10 Delica got discontinued mainly due to price. I would expect a plain VG10 Delica with G10 to come in at over $140 at this point if not higher. The Seki knives are slowly losing their competitive edge against Spydies from other locations in regards to value.

Everybody has been clamouring for a G10 Delica for a while now but quite a few people have made the argument that when it happens that many are likely unwilling to put their money where their mouth is.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Retail is $289. $188 is map pricing. I’m sure spyderco had a say in the msrp. The description also stated that they were setbacks,which I’m sure had an effect on the price.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:47 am
Definitely worth noting that the G10 Delica got discontinued mainly due to price. I would expect a plain VG10 Delica with G10 to come in at over $140 at this point if not higher. The Seki knives are slowly losing their competitive edge against Spydies from other locations in regards to value.

Everybody has been clamouring for a G10 Delica for a while now but quite a few people have made the argument that when it happens that many are likely unwilling to put their money where their mouth is.
This is exactly true. Spyderco isn't deaf; they know people have been clamoring for a G10 Delica/Endura for a while now. They aren't masochistic either, they're privy to the value proposition and can predict how this'll actually sell. They're more than willing to run an exclusive and let a dealer hold the bag, though.

It's unfortunate that the Seki-made Spydercos, especially the non-FRN ones, are losing the competitive edge. I do like many of the designs coming out of there. The Ouroborus is one, and I'll admit that even though I'd been pining for it for a while I waited until I found a better deal than street price.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

People spend about this much after swapping scales and clips. So if this is your dream combo, it’s an ok deal I guess. But schnikies that’s high.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

By comparison, the recent G10 Caly 3 Sprint in HAP40 retailed at 128.00.......