Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 Exclusive

Post by bearfacedkiller »

bouhunter wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:50 am
By comparison, the recent G10 Caly 3 Sprint in HAP40 retailed at 128.00.......
Very true and that was a good value. They are not made by the same maker and it seems as though Moki is still offering great value. The Super Blue CalyJr. made by Moki also looks like it will be a good value as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

According to BladeHQ the TiCN Delica is $84.47 or ~$10 more than the standard Delica 4. BladeHQ has the FRN Hap40 listed at a price of $94.95. I know this assuming a direct correlation, but that would lead me to believe that a FRN TiCN Hap40 Delica would be ~$105. That means that the additional ~$85 is just for the G10 and liners.. I would think this knife would sell well if it was at (or under) the $150 dollar mark, but where its at currently is turning a lot of people off. I just wish I would have jumped on the original G10 Delica which was $118 before they got discontinued.. VG10 is more than adequate for my needs and I prefer the foliage/satin look to the red/black. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes who is (or will be) picking one of these up. Just trying to explain where my reasoning is coming from..
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

I was just coon-fingering my Worker sprint (with the green G10), and if this new Delica has fit and finish anywhere near what this knife has, I will have to order a "backup" I think. So I hope these stay in stock for at least a bit.

I agree that $190 is a lot for a Delica, but I decided I am done missing out on awesome knives! If I can help it, of course, lol, I'm not a wealthy person. As far as the price of "regular" Delicas, don't those have the advantage of "economy of scale"? I imagine this run is what? 500? Not as much room to spread the cost out over a bigger production run.

I'm not in the business tho, so I have no idea what I'm talking about really. Stoked to get this Delica!
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

That "Crimson Tide Delica" will sell. That's what my husband called it. :) He said that the bammers will buy it and slap a roll tide sticker on it. lol!

Collectors who invest in knives will grab it. Alabama fans who wander into their stores will buy it. It doesn't matter that it doesn't sell out in hours or a week to the dealer. Products that sell out that way are the exception rather than the rule. It's in stock with all the other knives that sit in inventory. When it's gone, it's gone, and after a while, people will be scrambling to buy them for even a higher price off of EBay.

I do collect other things. Some of my most valuable pieces are those that didn't sell well when released. I don't collect knives so the price turns me off. It is beautiful though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a great looking knife. However, it is way over priced. I am not talking $40 over priced like some of you. This knife should be around $125 give or take a couple of dollars. I love the Delica but, No thanks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Stretch G10 in ZDP is $233 vs the Stretch FRN in ZDP for $136. Basically a $97 upcharge for G10. Seki G10 is expensive. Add in TiCN coated blades, PLUS a premium for coated liners PLUS a premium for a coated lock bar PLUS a premium for Hap40 and you have a BMW M3 of the Delica world vs a VG10 FRN Delica being the BMW 318.

So no, I dont believe the dealer is charging much of anything over MAP. It is just a combination of every expensive premium add on you can get. Not a great value by any means compared to some of the Golden or Moki knive, but so what? I love it. I bought one. Then a few hours later I bought another. It is a unique knife in a very limited run and there is a good chance than it may be the last G10 Delica ever given many people are balking at the price. And Red and Black were my high school colors, so I have a soft spot for that combo.

It will sell out eventually once people outside our forum bubble find out about it. I had never even heard of St Nick Knives until yesterday.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
PStone

Post by PStone »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:11 am
The Stretch G10 in ZDP is $233 vs the Stretch FRN in ZDP for $136. Basically a $97 upcharge for G10. Seki G10 is expensive. Add in TiCN coated blades, PLUS a premium for coated liners PLUS a premium for a coated lock bar PLUS a premium for Hap40 and you have a BMW M3 of the Delica world vs a VG10 FRN Delica being the BMW 318.

So no, I dont believe the dealer is charging much of anything over MAP. It is just a combination of every expensive premium add on you can get. Not a great value by any means compared to some of the Golden or Moki knive, but so what? I love it. I bought one. Then a few hours later I bought another. It is a unique knife in a very limited run and there is a good chance than it may be the last G10 Delica ever given many people are balking at the price. And Red and Black were my high school colors, so I have a soft spot for that combo.

It will sell out eventually once people outside our forum bubble find out about it. I had never even heard of St Nick Knives until yesterday.
Well put. I placed my order Thursday night, as soon as I saw it. No question about the price. Its a steel I don’t currently own, with a “new to me” type coating, in a color I do not have, and will also be my first delica. I can’t hardly wait. Expected delivery Monday.

I’ve also bought from StNick’s online and retail locations before. No issues ever. Plus they’ll ship whatever you buy for free, with no minimum.
bearfacedkiller

First Delica you say? It may not be a perfect knife in every way but you are about to experience the EDC knife against which I judge every other EDC blade. It is not too big but big enough and not to small but small enough and it is nice and slicey. There are a few knives out there that I consider benchmarks and it is one of them. I hope you enjoy it!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 am
This is a great looking knife. However, it is way over priced. I am not talking $40 over priced like some of you. This knife should be around $125 give or take a couple of dollars. I love the Delica but, No thanks.
The C11GPFG Green G10 delica had an MSRP of $165 10 years ago (and didn't stay in production). A street price of $125 would mean an MSRP of less than $195. You think that 10 years of inflation (plus or minus exchange rates), an upgraded steel, a coated blade, and coated liners and lock bar comes out to less than $30? And that's $30 of MSRP, mind, which would be more like $15 of actual materials/manufacturing costs...

Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

St. Nick's still has 250 of these in stock. Definitely not a fast seller.

St. Nick's Exclusive Delica with TiCN Coated HAP40/SUS410 and Red G-10 is $189.00 and the BladeHQ Exclusive Para3 with DLC Coated CPM-M4 and Natural G-10 is $154.95. No contest in price at a $34 difference and the lower priced one gets you the better steel and coating!

Perhaps Spyderco should try Japanese G-10 models without liners like the latest Native5 models.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
PStone

Post by PStone »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:15 am
First Delica you say? It may not be a perfect knife in every way but you are about to experience the EDC knife against which I judge every other EDC blade. It is not too big but big enough and not to small but small enough and it is nice and slicey. There are a few knives out there that I consider benchmarks and it is one of them. I hope you enjoy it!

I currently have the native5 in my benchmark role. Its been my go to for over a year now. I’ve tried many, many models, but always end up with the native most days. So the delica will definitely, be compared to that.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Lorelei wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 am
That "Crimson Tide Delica" will sell.

Hmmm.... I may have just been completely turned off of this knife :p

Sincerely,

LSU Fan
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:30 am
This knife should cost $150 tops.

If you can prove to me that this is selling at MAP, I will admit defeat. Until then, I say they are trying to gouge us knife nuts and it's wrong. This feels like MAP+25%
It seems to me there's a large difference between saying something is worth $150 to you, and saying that because it's only worth $150 to you then the distributor must be a gouger for selling it at $190.

Their page suggests the MSRP on the knife is $290. MAP on that would be $188.50. The knife is not listed on spyderco.com, possibly because it's too soon and possibly because not every exclusive knife shows up there. That MSRP is $40 less than another G10 Seki exclusive, the Bob Lum Tanto. It used the same steel, but no TiCN coating.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I wasn't going to pull the trigger, but I left it in my cart and they emailed me a 10% off coupon making it $170. While still expensive, I caved and bought one.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

170 is a pretty good price for that. At 190, it's expensive but probably worth every penny if it's a knife someone really wants.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I've got one sitting in my cart. If they send a coupon I will likely get one. A bit more palatable at that price.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:45 am
People spend about this much after swapping scales and clips. So if this is your dream combo, it’s an ok deal I guess. But schnikies that’s high.

This is sort of how I see it too. If a person will spend $100 or however much people are asking for custom scales, this isn't any different as long as you like the combo. Unfortunately it's a fairly particular combo so it may only appeal to a particular group.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

brumledb wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 am
Lorelei wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 am
That "Crimson Tide Delica" will sell.

Hmmm.... I may have just been completely turned off of this knife :p

Sincerely,

LSU Fan
LOL!
bearfacedkiller

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 pm
mb1 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:45 am
People spend about this much after swapping scales and clips. So if this is your dream combo, it’s an ok deal I guess. But schnikies that’s high.

This is sort of how I see it too. If a person will spend $100 or however much people are asking for custom scales, this isn't any different as long as you like the combo. Unfortunately it's a fairly particular combo so it may only appeal to a particular group.
Agreed. For the right combo price is fairly flexible. For me the BBS green Elmax Para2 was a tough pill to swallow and if you strictly evaluate based on value it wasn’t a great deal but there was no way I was gonna pass that one up.

I figure red Spydies are rare enough that this will likely do well enough.
-Darby
anycal

Post by anycal »

BigGrove wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:01 pm
I've got one sitting in my cart. If they send a coupon I will likely get one. A bit more palatable at that price.
Hahaha! Din't work for me. Guess it wasn't meant to be.
Peter