Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
camvdcs

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 Exclusive

Post by camvdcs »

Yeah, they sent a coupon but it doesn't work on the Delica. :mad: :mad:

Ok, they sent me another email and the code works now. Ordered!!! Woohoo!!!
Last edited by camvdcs on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Yep, they said 10% off my cart as well but just have to figure out how to use it now because their link isn't working.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I'll bet they realized it worked on the Delica exclusive and shut it down.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

BigGrove wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 pm
I'll bet they realized it worked on the Delica exclusive and shut it down.
I hope not. That would really be un-cool. I plan to call Monday and ask.
Last edited by brumledb on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

Double Post
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Very cool looking knife, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a Delica. I thought $155 for the Pakkawood version was high (though I did buy one, and it's my favorite slicer in my collection) but for a DLC version of a knife with the same steel, and cheaper scales...for $40 more! Nope, can't justify it.
Crux

Post by Crux »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am
Seen this one mentioned but thought it should have it's own thread.

Color combo looks nice. Interesting choice to put DLC on a laminated blade. $190 price is up there.

WTH? Who are you and what in the heck do you have? It looks radioactive!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

guywithopinion wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:19 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:30 am
This knife should cost $150 tops.

If you can prove to me that this is selling at MAP, I will admit defeat. Until then, I say they are trying to gouge us knife nuts and it's wrong. This feels like MAP+25%
It seems to me there's a large difference between saying something is worth $150 to you, and saying that because it's only worth $150 to you then the distributor must be a gouger for selling it at $190.

Their page suggests the MSRP on the knife is $290. MAP on that would be $188.50. The knife is not listed on spyderco.com, possibly because it's too soon and possibly because not every exclusive knife shows up there. That MSRP is $40 less than another G10 Seki exclusive, the Bob Lum Tanto. It used the same steel, but no TiCN coating.
I will say, after hearing about the delays and stuff, I can see where the high price comes from. Still too high, just like the Lum. Didn't buy it either.

$170 would be getting me closer. I'll see if they send me one.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Edit: The discount code worked for me. Hmmm, have to think about this.
Azilla21

Post by Azilla21 »

I wanted to pick up one with the discount code but in their check out (credit card) system isn’t working for me. I wish they took PayPal. :(
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Hahah you ungrateful guys... :o
Here in Spain a normal price for a plain jane FRN VG10 Delica 4 is $120-140, and people still buy it without complaining... :p
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:37 am
Hahah you ungrateful guys... :o
Here in Spain a normal price for a plain jane FRN VG10 Delica 4 is $120-140, and people still buy it without complaining... :p
'Merica. Land of the free, home of the complainers.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

‘Merica, the land of the price conscious consumer. As a whole we value price above all other factors when making purchasing decisions. It is our culture now. I try not to be that way. I find I am happier when I seek out things based on other criteria like is it what I actually want, how long will it last and what are any ethical considerations behind it.

In the process of refining our consumer culture to it’s highest level we have gotten quite good at buying as much as possible with whatever quantity of money we have. The quest for the perfection of consumerism! Unfortunately, in the end it may be our undoing.

Basically, if you want it, if it is quality, if you can afford it and if there are no ethical objections then I think you should just pull the trigger. The funny thing is that we torture ourselves over price until we purchase and then we often quickly forget the sting of paying for it because we move on to agonizing over the next purchase. Take my BBS Elmax Para2, it was painful at the time and I for some reason agonized over the decision but not long after I got the knife the pain of overpaying (what was no more than the price of going out to lunch) receded and all I was left with was the knife I truly wanted.

Sorry for the rant. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm
Basically, if you want it, if it is quality, if you can afford it and if there are no ethical objections then I think you should just pull the trigger. The funny thing is that we torture ourselves over price until we purchase and then we often quickly forget the sting of paying for it because we move on to agonizing over the next purchase. Take my BBS Elmax Para2, it was painful at the time and I for some reason agonized over the decision but not long after I got the knife the pain of overpaying (what was no more than the price of going out to lunch) receded and all I was left with was the knife I truly wanted.

Ha true that. This comes to mind: buy quality, and only cry once.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:34 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Ha true that. This comes to mind: buy quality, and only cry once.

That is good advice. I'd rather spend $150 on a good knife that will last, and have the pleasure of using a high-quality tool for years to come, then on a cheap knife that won't be as fun to use and won't last as long.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Dang! I ordered it on Saturday and Sunday I get an email saying it has shipped with tracking number. That's what I call service. :)
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I finally got the discount code for 10 off. At $170.10 it's still a bit high but I can live with it.

I confirmed with a forum member they got the same code as I received, so to save everyone the hassle of waiting for an email I'm going to share it.

LETSDOIT

Now let's get this to sell out.
anycal

Post by anycal »

That discount did me in. Since I technically don't have a Delica - mrs uses it 99% of the time - I had no choice. Throw red G10 into the mix, and I didn't have a chance.

Saving $20 while spending $170. That's technically $150... if my math is right... :confused:... if that helps me justify it... Free shipping and no tax, that's even lower.
Peter
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

anycal wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Saving $20 while spending $170. That's technically $150... if my math is right... :confused:... if that helps me justify it... Free shipping and no tax, that's even lower.

that sounds like Arthur Anderson accounting...but if it helps you sleep.. ;)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

camvdcs wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:29 pm
Dang! I ordered it on Saturday and Sunday I get an email saying it has shipped with tracking number. That's what I call service. :)
Last night and again today I've been communicating with a representative of St. Nick's. I've been impressed with the service I've received. I won't hesitate to buy from them again.

FWIW, they didn't intend for the discount code to be used for this knife. Basically, they realized the error too late. After they turned it off some people complained that the discount code didn't work for them. They ultimately decided to turn it back on.

I was told that the run was around 500
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!