Serrated Yojimbo 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyder_MN

Serrated Yojimbo 2

Post by Spyder_MN »

Has anyone had the idea for a serrated Yojimbo 2 before? With the Wharnie Delica available in SE I got to thinking about about a Yojimbo 2 in the same style. Seems like it would still work pretty well for self defense. Is this a concept that interests anyone else?
-Caleb
KnickKnackCity

Re: Serrated Yojimbo 2

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I'm always game for more Yojimbo variants. I bet Michael Janich will join in to drop some horses-mouth insight. The Civilian and Matriarch are both serrated and market it as a contributor to the devastating cuts.

I know my SE cuts I've given myself always hurt more and start bleeding immediately. I've had PE cuts (most recently on my new ultra sharp 20CV Yo2) where I dont even realize i have sliced until 10 seconds after. Seems like a self defense application would benefit from the serrated.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyder_MN,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Spyder_MN

Post by Spyder_MN »

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:33 am
Hi Spyder_MN,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks, Sal! Definitely an honor to be welcomed by Mr Glesser himself.
-Caleb
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

To each his own but I personally wouldnt want a SE Yo.
The Yo works just fine as is.
YMMV and all that.

Id be interested in hearing mr. Janich's opinon on pros and cons for a SE Yo.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It may work perfectly well, but I also would like to know if the SE would be as, or perhaps more effective in a self defense role. Could be marginally I guess, but I really have no idea.

I've often considered the ARK as a final backup and I'd get one in SE over the plain edge.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'd like to see an SE Yo2. I haven't bought a Yo2 yet, almost picked up a 20cv, but ended up passing. Not super into CF.

What say you Mr. Janich?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I so much long for the days of old ( pre-2005) when most every Spyderco model was also offered in Spyderedge. During the late 90s, early 2000s there were not many Spyders that were not offered in Spyderedge. But now they are almost like on the "endangered species" list. It's as though Spyderedges have become outlawed or something of the kind :( . It's even difficult now a days to try to even get a model you absolutely love in a Sprint Run in Spyderedge. It really breaks my heart and again I long for the good old Spyderedged days.

Oh YES!!! I would love any Yojimbo model in SE. Frankly I think they need to take a serious look at Wharncliffe Spyderedged units because I know that they would sell really well.
markg

Post by markg »

Don't think a serrated model would fit into the designer's original vision for the knife.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

markg wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:20 pm
Don't think a serrated model would fit into the designer's original vision for the knife.
Ditto.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ug I hate this argument. Has anyone heard of a yojimbo being used for SD ever? I’d bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of the people who bought this relatively popular design did so because they liked the ergos and liked that it was a comp lock wharnie. This thing cuts boxes and tape, not people. Make it in SE. Heck put a warning on it: “Caution! This knife is no longer ideal for defending you from a clothed assailant! It will, however cut naked assailants and boxes just fine.”

If you’re in a SD scenario you’ll use what you have on you anyway. If you don’t carry your yojimbo 100% of the time, and even then only as a purpose built SD blade, with a regular knife for EDC tasks, then this is not an argument. In fact, it wouldn’t be an argument in any case, since you could carry the PE as the SD knife and the SE as your EDC. Come tho think of it that actually might be an argument for improving you potential effectiveness in a SD scenario, since you use one design consistently. But going down that path just shows how silly it is to do a bunch of intellectual “what ifs” around SD scenarios.

The only argument would be against REPLACING the PE with SE, which no one has ever suggested.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:45 am
Ug I hate this argument. Has anyone heard of a yojimbo being used for SD ever? I’d bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of the people who bought this relatively popular design did so because they liked the ergos and liked that it was a comp lock wharnie. This thing cuts boxes and tape, not people. Make it in SE. Heck put a warning on it: “Caution! This knife is no longer ideal for defending you from a clothed assailant! It will, however cut naked assailants and boxes just fine.”

If you’re in a SD scenario you’ll use what you have on you anyway. If you don’t carry your yojimbo 100% of the time, and even then only as a purpose built SD blade, with a regular knife for EDC tasks, then this is not an argument. In fact, it wouldn’t be an argument in any case, since you could carry the PE as the SD knife and the SE as your EDC. Come tho think of it that actually might be an argument for improving you potential effectiveness in a SD scenario, since you use one design consistently. But going down that path just shows how silly it is to do a bunch of intellectual “what ifs” around SD scenarios.

The only argument would be against REPLACING the PE with SE, which no one has ever suggested.
Hate is such a strong word. Lets calm down a bit - its just a knife.

I agree with some of your points - others not so much.
Ill be the first to harp on about, what an excellent box cutter and letter opener the Yo2 is ... and which I have in fact repeated ad nausem.

Im no knife fighter and not an 'operator.' Knife forums have enough basement ninjas as is.

That being said, mister Janich is the real deal and I suspect, that if he had wanted SE, he would have designed the Yo as such. Id like to hear his opinion.

People can argue till the cows come home. How everr there are no ifs and or buts about it; the Yo was designed as a SD knife and sprang from a certain SD mind set. Why then make a Yo PE for SD and a Yo SE for sundry tasks? Just buy another Spyderco with SE. Lord knows, there are enough models to choose from out there. There are even other models dedicated to SD WITH SE. Just buy one of those, if one wants a SE cardboard killing machine.

Personally, Im not overly fond of SE but thats just me.
As I use and on occasion carry a Yo2, its very much an argument that I dont want SE contrary to your claim above. I simply dont care for SE. Not for my cardboard killing or envelope opening - not for anything (okay, I do go kayaking and can see a use for SE when tangled in line or something. My kayaking knife is how ever a non SE MiISSON TI MPU).

I like the Yo2 as is. I assume that mister Janich deliberately designed it sans SE hence SE is (of course) not in his design philosophy - why on earth would anybody 'hate' that POV.

We agree on one other thing; the ergos on the Yo2 is put of this world.
I wish there were other Spyderco knives using a handle which would resemble the Yo2.
Last edited by SpyderScout on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Double post.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

The Yo2 with another personal favorite because Spyderco.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd only want about 2/3 of the blade serrated, the tip is a bit too thin to be grinding scallops into. It would make a pretty versatile utility blade in a combo edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:56 am

Ill be the first to harp on about, what an excellent box cutter and letter opener the Yo2 is ... and which I have in fact repeated ad nausem.

Im no knife fighter and not an 'operator.' Knife forums have enough basement ninjas as is.
I'm perfectly calm. Hate is a strong word, but I hate poorly formulated arguments. Again, the argument is whether or not an SE Yojimbo should exist, NOT whether we should change the Yojimbo from PE to SE. It's my assertion that there is no rational argument for not doing a run of Yojimbos in SE.
SpyderScout wrote:

That being said, mister Janich is the real deal and I suspect, that if he had wanted SE, he would have designed the Yo as such. Id like to hear his opinion.
I'm well aware and respect him. He designed the Yojimbo for a particular purpose, that's true, but it's particular specialization does not render it inoperable for other tasks. I know he didn't want SE originally in his design. I know why he didn't. None of those are reasons not to do a run of SE, as you are not obligated to use this knife in a particular way.

Again, if he thought S90V or carbon fiber would have been better then he probably would have used those too. That didn't stop people from snapping up a sprint run with that configuration, because again, this knife is useful and desirable beyond just an SD role.
SpyderScout wrote:

People can argue till the cows come home. How everr there are no ifs and or buts about it; the Yo was designed as a SD knife and sprang from a certain SD mind set. Why then make a Yo PE for SD and a Yo SE for sundry tasks? Just buy another Spyderco with SE. Lord knows, there are enough models to choose from out there. There are even other models dedicated to SD WITH SE. Just buy one of those, if one wants a SE cardboard killing machine.

As I use and on occasion carry a Yo2, its very much an argument that I dont want SE contrary to your claim above. I simply dont care for SE. Not for my cardboard killing or envelope opening - not for anything (okay, I do go kayaking and can see a use for SE when tangled in line or something. My kayaking knife is how ever a non SE MiISSON TI MPU).
Isn't that a wildly disingenuous request, given the usual discussion here? Fully half of the threads are suggesting this or that configuration of a particular design. "You'd like a wire clip on a Delica? Well just choose another model with a wire clip, god knows there are enough of them!" Not only that, but there are significantly fewer SE models than PE, and are there any other wharnie comp locks? I have no interest in taking a knife designed for SD (in general) and making it SE. I'm aware of spyderco's other models. I like the Yo2 specifically, and think it would be cool in SE, which again, there is no rational argument against such knife existing. That argument would be like saying the Delica shouldn't exist because the Tasman is designed to cut rope.
SpyderScout wrote:

I like the Yo2 as is. I assume that mister Janich deliberately designed it sans SE hence SE is (of course) not in his design philosophy - why on earth would anybody 'hate' that POV.

I wish there were other Spyderco knives using a handle which would resemble the Yo2.
I don't hate his point of view. I fully agree with an SD knife being PE due to SE hanging up on clothing. I'm not questioning his original intent and I'm not suggesting that SE replaces PE. I'm suggesting there's nothing wrong with doing a run in SE.

You wish there were other knives with the ergos of the Yo2...but you're arguing against other configurations of the Yo2. :confused:
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

tvenuto wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am
SpyderScout wrote:

I'm perfectly calm. Hate is a strong word, but I hate poorly formulated arguments. Again, the argument is whether or not an SE Yojimbo should exist, NOT whether we should change the Yojimbo from PE to SE. It's my assertion that there is no rational argument for not doing a run of Yojimbos in SE.
SpyderScout wrote:

I'm well aware and respect him. He designed the Yojimbo for a particular purpose, that's true, but it's particular specialization does not render it inoperable for other tasks. I know he didn't want SE originally in his design. I know why he didn't. None of those are reasons not to do a run of SE, as you are not obligated to use this knife in a particular way.

Again, if he thought S90V or carbon fiber would have been better then he probably would have used those too. That didn't stop people from snapping up a sprint run with that configuration, because again, this knife is useful and desirable beyond just an SD role.
SpyderScout wrote:

Isn't that a wildly disingenuous request, given the usual discussion here? Fully half of the threads are suggesting this or that configuration of a particular design. "You'd like a wire clip on a Delica? Well just choose another model with a wire clip, god knows there are enough of them!" Not only that, but there are significantly fewer SE models than PE, and are there any other wharnie comp locks? I have no interest in taking a knife designed for SD (in general) and making it SE. I'm aware of spyderco's other models. I like the Yo2 specifically, and think it would be cool in SE, which again, there is no rational argument against such knife existing. That argument would be like saying the Delica shouldn't exist because the Tasman is designed to cut rope.
SpyderScout wrote:

I don't hate his point of view. I fully agree with an SD knife being PE due to SE hanging up on clothing. I'm not questioning his original intent and I'm not suggesting that SE replaces PE. I'm suggesting there's nothing wrong with doing a run in SE.

You wish there were other knives with the ergos of the Yo2...but you're arguing against other configurations of the Yo2. :confused:
You are barking up the wrong tree.
I dont give a hoot, if other versions come out.
There are already sprint versions et al.
I merely mentioned in passing, that the Yo2 is just fine IMO, that a SE Yo2 is not for me, as Im not big on SE, AND that SE most likely was not in the design philosophy. I acknowledge that there are practical purposes for SE.
You can have a Yo2 with two combo serrated blades for all I care.
Me suggesting, that as you vehemently feel for this, you merely buy a SE Spyderco is now a 'wildly disengenous request?'
Are you off your meds? I repeat, this is merely a chat about knives. Calm down.
Cant see, what I did to set off this tone - maybe you are always like this.
Again, its a knife - plenty of really important things going on in the world, fer crying out loud.
As this is obviously a crusade for you and simply not that important to me, Im out of this one.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’ll share my angle. ;)

I dislike serrated edges so I would not buy one but I am just one person.

Janich is a SD expert and a knife designer and he designed it to fit his philosophies. That is well known and obvious.

Spyderco is a business and they are in the business of selling knives, both of their own design and the designs of others. They have a long history of giving their customers what they want as long as it is a good business decision (and maybe even on occasion when it is not, they are that good to us). They also respect the wishes of their designers. My take on it is that if they think a run of them will sell and if Mr. Janich is onboard then they will do a run.

Personally, I love the Yojimbo and feel as though it is ergonomic perfection. It feels like the handle was designed by sqeazing a lump of clay and then modeling the handle after that. Amazing! That said, it is a unique knife and the sales outside of us knife geeks and the SD crowd may be limited. Probably why we haven’t seen a blurple yet. I am unsure if a SE is a good business decision or not but for those who want one I hope it comes to fruition. Personally, I’m still waiting for the blurple. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:39 am
You are barking up the wrong tree.
I dont give a hoot, if other versions come out.
There are already sprint versions et al.
I merely mentioned in passing, that the Yo2 is just fine IMO, that a SE Yo2 is not for me, as Im not big on SE, AND that SE most likely was not in the design philosophy. I acknowledge that there are practical purposes for SE.
You can have a Yo2 with two combo serrated blades for all I care.
Me suggesting, that as you vehemently feel for this, you merely buy a SE Spyderco is now a 'wildly disengenous request?'
Are you off your meds? I repeat, this is merely a chat about knives. Calm down.
Cant see, what I did to set off this tone - maybe you are always like this.
Again, its a knife - plenty of really important things going on in the world, fer crying out loud.
As this is obviously a crusade for you and simply not that important to me, Im out of this one.
I agree, this is merely a chat about knives, and as I said I'm perfectly calm. I was addressing your points directly, which some would call a discussion. At no point did start personally attacking you or anyone else, which is ground you are beginning to tread above.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:01 pm
I’ll share my angle. ;)

I dislike serrated edges so I would not buy one but I am just one person.

Janich is a SD expert and a knife designer and he designed it to fit his philosophies. That is well known and obvious.

Spyderco is a business and they are in the business of selling knives, both of their own design and the designs of others. They have a long history of giving their customers what they want as long as it is a good business decision (and maybe even on occasion when it is not, they are that good to us). They also respect the wishes of their designers. My take on it is that if they think a run of them will sell and if Mr. Janich is onboard then they will do a run.

Personally, I love the Yojimbo and feel as though it is ergonomic perfection. It feels like the handle was designed by sqeazing a lump of clay and then modeling the handle after that. Amazing! That said, it is a unique knife and the sales outside of us knife geeks and the SD crowd may be limited. Probably why we haven’t seen a blurple yet. I am unsure if a SE is a good business decision or not but for those who want one I hope it comes to fruition. Personally, I’m still waiting for the blurple. :)
And that, perhaps, is the rub. Will it sell enough? I don't know, but there have been more and more threads on the virtues of SE, sharpening them, etc. I do personally think it would sell and sell well. I know Mr. Janich will chime in eventually. He is very good about jumping into the mix on products that he is knowledgeable about.

I also agree with D, you'd need to leave a significant portion of PE at the tip. Whether or not you'd consider that combo edge or SE doesn't really matter to me. I know that the Military had various distances of serrated portion over its lifetime and was still called SE, but again it's just semantics at that point.